Thread: Tavares for Lafreniere

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Tavares for Lafreniere

Hey all,

14 Team League, 14 man roster, keep 4. Points only, extra for PP/PK.

In sort of a rebuild, current keepers for this year were Barzal, Tavares, Josi, Burns. Lafreniere was taken 1st overall this year, I had 2nd pick . Was offered Lafreniere for Tavares straight up. Tried to counter with some draft pick upgrades but no go. Other GM re-offered same deal, straight up. What's everyones thoughts?
    14 Team Keeper Pool:

G,A,GWG,PPG,PPA,SHA,SHG-1 point
    HT- 2 points; PIM- 0.2 points; ShootoutG- 0.5 points
    W- 2 points; SO- 3 points; OTL- 1 point; SHOSaves- 0.5 points

Lineup consists of 8 active, 6 reserve players
    (1-3 C, 2-4 W, 2-4 D, 1 G); Keep any 4

Current Players:
    Centers: Tavares, Barzal, Kuznetsov, Drouin
    Wingers: Radulov, Seguin, R. Smith, Olofsson, Schenn
    Defense: Burns, Josi, Dumba
    Goalies: Blackwood, Bobrovsky

2013 - 3rd Place, 2014 - Champion, 2015 - 3rd Place

Administrator

Default Re: Tavares for Lafreniere

First off, have you shopped Tavares around? Could be worth it to find out his market. Then you gotta think about the outcomes of the next few seasons and think if there's a way you could do better than this deal.

Tavares is a proven star, and generally speaking you don't want to trade that for a guy you'd hope becomes as good as him, but Laf is just about as sure a bet as you'll find. If he even flashes a bit of talent, you may not acquire him for this price again.

On the Tavares side of things, is there anything he can realistically do to increase his trade value? Do you have a path to upgrading your keepers beyond making a bet on potential?

Have you shopped around any of your other vets to see if there's a path to loading up for next season?

I like this trade but I'm not making it without a plan.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I haven't shopped him much. We just did the draft Saturday night, received the first offer Sunday night so I've just been hemming and hawing on it. Worried that if I wait and Laffy comes out hot to start the year I may not get the chance to make this deal again.

I don't see Tavares doing much to considerably increase his trade value. He's been a consistent star for years now but has hit 30 and I wonder how many quality years he has left. I agree with you that you don't like making deals based on hope. Reminds me of the Family Guy clip where Peter gets the choice between a boat and a mystery box, he chooses the mystery box because, "a boat is a boat, but the mystery box could be anything, even a boat".

The age is the big factor for me. If Laffy can get up to being the point producer JT is, I have quality production for 10+ years. JT has hit 30 and is in a crowded lineup with the Leafs where he is definitely not the franchise player (Matthews and Marner will both be provided more opportunity going forward). If he doesn't keep producing, his role may change, he may fall off, its definitely a question mark for me. Do I think he will magically fall off a cliff? I doubt it, but he for sure isn't the go to guy on that team where I think Laffy is the piece that will be built around in NY.

I'm hoping to also shop Burns around this year and Josi in the next couple, but with only 4 keepers it can be tough to get absolute studs.
    14 Team Keeper Pool:

G,A,GWG,PPG,PPA,SHA,SHG-1 point
    HT- 2 points; PIM- 0.2 points; ShootoutG- 0.5 points
    W- 2 points; SO- 3 points; OTL- 1 point; SHOSaves- 0.5 points

Lineup consists of 8 active, 6 reserve players
    (1-3 C, 2-4 W, 2-4 D, 1 G); Keep any 4

Current Players:
    Centers: Tavares, Barzal, Kuznetsov, Drouin
    Wingers: Radulov, Seguin, R. Smith, Olofsson, Schenn
    Defense: Burns, Josi, Dumba
    Goalies: Blackwood, Bobrovsky

2013 - 3rd Place, 2014 - Champion, 2015 - 3rd Place

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with Steve. Shop him around, you might get a better combination of upside & certainty. Kick the tires on some onjured guys if you are not intending on competing, but in a keep 4 you should intend to be competing.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

As you said kind of rebuild year so goal is to basically try and upgrade keepers if possible. If he has any keeper upgrades look at trying 2 for 2 player swap,
    Your Tavares and maybe Burns (if he has much value to other GM) or someone else on your team. Like others have said also shop Tavares and other keepers see what value they have.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)