Thread: Giroux

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Giroux

For league in signature.

Give: Giroux + Delia
    Get: Parise + Norris + Batherson + 2022 2nd

Am I getting too excited about flashy prospects?
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Giroux

I think you are getting a bit too excited.

First off, Giroux > Parise

Secondly, Delia is very likely Chicago's best goalie this year. I know you have a lot of goalies, but this is not a move I'd make when you have a guy on the cusp of a starting job with just Malcom Subban in the way.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would make the trade.
    I moved Giroux this year in a league as I think the Flyers are too deep to really need him to provide a "ton" of offense.
    PHI is 3-line team this year... Giroux is probably going to drop to under 18min/night - as he did last night.

I haven't seen Batherson play an NHL game yet... but everything I hear/read about him sounds great.
    OTT, like MIN, should be a two-line team - so the players there (Parise/Batherson) will get more time.

Let's not forget that Claude Giroux is 33 years old.
    He's no spring chicken anymore and it's always wise to look at trading years (old players for young players) in dynasties.

On a "Dynasty League" value chart, I'd grade them as follows:

72 Batherson, age 22
    68 Giroux, age 33
    60 Norris, age 21 (*Norris, I believe, is centering OTT's top line with Batherson. If he clicks and puts up 5pts in 5gp... you won't be able to make this deal)
    58 Parise, age 36.5
    55 Delia - a risk/reward... but he's better than Subban, IMO.
    50 2nd rounder

IMO, in a mid-sized (12 team x 12F) dynasty: Batherson = Giroux.
    It's a straight-up trade, due to Giroux vs. Batherson's age.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with penguin7’s outlook on giroux, his best years are behind him but that being said he has dual eligibility And for the next couple of years he will help your team more than what your getting in return. Looking at your team and with those goalies I’m assuming your competitive in a 12 team league? If so I’d just hang on to giroux and try and win.

Dobber Sports Novice

If you think you cant win this years, id try to do the deal without delia and parise involve! I think Norris, Batherson and a 2 is a good return for an aging Giroux

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Swarley View Post
    I agree with penguin7’s outlook on giroux, his best years are behind him but that being said he has dual eligibility And for the next couple of years he will help your team more than what your getting in return. Looking at your team and with those goalies I’m assuming your competitive in a 12 team league? If so I’d just hang on to giroux and try and win.

I also agree with penguin7. It is the same reasoning that makes me considering trading Giroux. In fact, I think it is the right time to do it while he still has value.

I am indeed competitive, even with Seguin and Toews on the IR. We are a group of 5 teams that will fight for the championship, with 2 teams having a slight edge. So although I think I can give up a good fight, I'm not convinced that I have a real shot. I would need a few weeks to evaluate my team as I made a lot of changes since the end of last season. My team is much better but not sure if it is enough...

A lot has to do with timing here - Giroux has still value and Norris/Batherson are still relatively cheap. I'm usually reluctant to move good established players for unproven prospects, especially when my team is competitive. Yet, given the circumstances of this season, I don't mind taking a small hit to trade years that will pay off in the short term.

I should note that this trade would be with one of the two top teams, so I would make that team relatively better. Not ideal...

This been said, you guys convinced me to keep Delia but would you do a trade Giroux vs Norris + Batherson + 2022 2nd?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoelands View Post
    This been said, you guys convinced me to keep Delia but would you do a trade Giroux vs Norris + Batherson + 2022 2nd?
    Now that the deal has been cleaned up, it makes more sense to me that you're purely looking to deal for prospects. Parise was just in the way in that first deal, and I probably focused too much on that. It's a deal that seems to fit your timeline better, and if Norris can hold that deployment, you will likely win the deal.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoelands View Post
    Giroux vs Norris + Batherson + 2022 2nd?
    I would do this today... before the OTT game.
    If these guys get on the highlights tonight from the TOR/OTT game... the trade will be off the table.