Thread: Stone named 1st Captain of VGK

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Stone named 1st Captain of VGK

https://twitter.com/DavidSchoenLVRJ/...007823360?s=19

Mark Stone has been named the Golden Knights first captain in franchise history. #VegasBorn
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Stone named 1st Captain of VGK

A good choice.
    Couldn't be Patches... too many trade rumours & well,
    it could have been Pietrangelo. likely he gets an A
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    A good choice.
    Couldn't be Patches... too many trade rumours & well,
    it could have been Pietrangelo. likely he gets an A
    At their pace AP will be in trade rumours by April.

Dobber Sports Master

They acquired him with this in mind for sure. Glad to see these captainless franchises start to name them. No reason for hockey teams to go without captains (I mean, there are some proferred, but I disagree with them).

Good choice.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    At their pace AP will be in trade rumours by April.
    AP did get an A, along with Reilly Smith.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Captains do nothing on the ice anymore.

Leadership in the modern NHL is a group effort and doesn't require you to have a letter on your chest to step up or talk. A Captaincy is saying thank you to a player now, and giving the people what they want.

Most recent captaincies:
    Bergeron, Larkin, Spurgeon, ROR, Stone, J.Staal, Couture, Tavares, Horvat, OEL, Eichel, Barkov, Weber, Lee.

Bergeron, already was practically a captain
    Larkin, local boy and does his job
    Spurgeon, thank you for sticking around
    Stone, Thank you for being a leader. Here's a C before we move you for the next shiny toy
    Staal, Thank you for staying
    Couture, SJS is a mess with Captaincies
    JT, Thank you for coming to Toronto

I don't think Captanicy goes to the voice of the team anymore. Goes to marketability, players who are the most like the Organization, and players who are being thanked by the organization.

As for Vegas with marketing. Stone, Pacioretty, Pietrangelo...which one would the non-hockey market remember more? Captaincies are either given based on votes from players, or management decisions. I feel like this was a management decision because it was kind of an obvious choice when it comes to marketing, since all 3 have held a leadership role. (GM of Vegas McCrimmon owned/coached Wheat Kings when Stone was a 19yr old captain on the team too)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

While I tend to generally agree with some of your comments, I still think it's important to name a captain, since even if it's a group leadership effort (most if not all group organizations, regardless of activity and industry work like this), there are times where you will need one person to settle the debate, to lead, to make a decision or take a course of action, or head in a particular direction, set a certain example... and that person is the captain. It sets the attitude for the team, the mood on the field, ice, in the room etc. It has a lot of value and when there isn't one, the coach has to do it.. but good coaches want their players to do it, like good teachers who want their students to succeed or good bosses who want their employees to grow, thrive and succeed them.

Captains are leaders, and they can be good or bad, and certainly poorly chosen or chosen for the wrong reasons (marketing, contract reasons, etc.), but when chosen for the right reasons and for the right purposes, I really do believe they make a difference and more often than not, a positive one.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Captains do nothing on the ice anymore.

Leadership in the modern NHL is a group effort and doesn't require you to have a letter on your chest to step up or talk. A Captaincy is saying thank you to a player now, and giving the people what they want.

Most recent captaincies:
    Bergeron, Larkin, Spurgeon, ROR, Stone, J.Staal, Couture, Tavares, Horvat, OEL, Eichel, Barkov, Weber, Lee.

Bergeron, already was practically a captain
    Larkin, local boy and does his job
    Spurgeon, thank you for sticking around
    Stone, Thank you for being a leader. Here's a C before we move you for the next shiny toy
    Staal, Thank you for staying
    Couture, SJS is a mess with Captaincies
    JT, Thank you for coming to Toronto

I don't think Captanicy goes to the voice of the team anymore. Goes to marketability, players who are the most like the Organization, and players who are being thanked by the organization.

As for Vegas with marketing. Stone, Pacioretty, Pietrangelo...which one would the non-hockey market remember more? Captaincies are either given based on votes from players, or management decisions. I feel like this was a management decision because it was kind of an obvious choice when it comes to marketing, since all 3 have held a leadership role. (GM of Vegas McCrimmon owned/coached Wheat Kings when Stone was a 19yr old captain on the team too)
    I dont disagree that it might not be as important on the ice anymore, I think it goes a long ways in the dressing room. Thats why I always question when the young guys like McDavid get handed the "C". They may be the best players on the ice, but that doesn't mean they are great leaders off it. Anyone who has played various sports know that the Captain is the leader of the group. Sure, it's symbolic to some extent, but if you are going to be handed the honour, you need to be looked upon by your fellow team members in that light. Someone who isn't afraid to speak up when $hit is hitting the fan, so to speak. Most younger guys don't feel that way early in their careers.

I have a feeling Mark Stone is a leader in that dressing room, as well as on the ice. I like this choice. It wasn't just given to a young kid who scores a ton (although Stone is no slouch there). It was given to a guy who you could see having the balls to yell at others in the dressing room. Those are your leaders; not the guy who scores the most.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think players naturally know who's the leader regardless of a letter on the chest. A leader either vocally, or performance wise, step up.

McDavid having a letter on his chest I don't think changes how that team sees him, same with Stone.

Personal views I guess. We'll see Chabot get the captaincy likely in Ottawa next yr. I don't get why NYR aren't naming Zib or Kreider as Captain. NJD I'd guess aren't naming Zajac as a captain because he's a UFA this offseason, and there's no one around the team that would jump out right now as a candidate.

If you need a voice in a locker room to settle arguments, I don't think a dictatorship having a Captain having the final say all the time would be beneficial either with the new group of kids. Modern age players are no longer the type of player to jump when the coach says to jump. Having 1 voice I dunno, I don't think it matters.

Again, personal view on captaincy I guess.

As with younger guys getting the Captaincy...It's all about how open I think the younger player is with the media. More pressure is put on the captain from outside the lockerroom to perform, are they able to handle the questions and pressure. I don't know if a young player has enough room on their plate to take that up. Just seems like too much for me to give a 19yr old who is still learning how to get to changerooms in visiting arenas.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

So they've had all this success without a captain??? Maybe the 'C' isn't that important after all...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's a good choice. Teams still need representatives - somebody that says the right thing, is the right face, plays the right way.
    Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I like designated leadership groups. I mean, even here... Dobber (even when not around) eminates a certain positivity & involvement that I think trickles down to all of us.

Stone is also the highest paid guy in the clubhouse - so that works.
    You get paid more, do more, and always be trying as hard or harder than anybody else.

A+ call for me, to have Stone as the "C" for VGK.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    So they've had all this success without a captain??? Maybe the 'C' isn't that important after all...

Maybe they would have been even more successful with a captain.....

lol
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin