Thread: Minimum and Maximum Games Played for Goalies-Roto League

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Minimum and Maximum Games Played for Goalies-Roto League

So I thought I would ask the Dobber community for input. I am in a Roto league. For goalies, our stat categories are W, SVs, GAA, and SV%. We can only roster and start 2 goalies. The positive of only 2 goalies is that there are always competent goalies as free agents if someone gets injured. Since we have 2 rate categories, it is important to have a minimum games played. Our maximum games is 56 for this season. What do you think our minimum should be? Currently, it is set at 45 games or 80% of the max. If you don't reach the minimum, you receive no points in the categories. What do you think?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Minimum and Maximum Games Played for Goalies-Roto League

I have always played in roto where the goalie GP are the same as the player GP, but I like the adjustment you have here.

Dobber Sports Icon

What's the minimum for skaters? The better question is why do you have rate stats in a roto league? The whole point of roto leagues is that you accumulate points over the course of the season which is not possible with rate stats. You aren't using shooting percentage as you choose to use goals AND shots. I would replace GAA and SV% with goals against and shots faced.

If you insist on using rate stats in a roto league and have a maximum games played, I would set the minimum at 1/2 of the maximum.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I signed up for an ESPN league. We start 18 skaters (12 F, 5D, 1 Util) and the default max games is 840, or 46.7 games per skater. And we have four bench slots. The league allows for daily moves. If a team make no moves the entire season, you would get to 1,008 games...or some lesser number if some of your players don't play all 56 games. The only reason a player would play less than 56 games is due to injury and I would think most owners would, at the very minimum, look to sub in for an injured player. Can't see how 46.7 max games per skater slot is sufficient as owners will look to make moves throughout the season. Does it make sense to go with 1,008 (56 x 18) or go even higher? Anyone else run into this conundrum?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by bmj13 View Post
    I signed up for an ESPN league. We start 18 skaters (12 F, 5D, 1 Util) and the default max games is 840, or 46.7 games per skater. And we have four bench slots. The league allows for daily moves. If a team make no moves the entire season, you would get to 1,008 games...or some lesser number if some of your players don't play all 56 games. The only reason a player would play less than 56 games is due to injury and I would think most owners would, at the very minimum, look to sub in for an injured player. Can't see how 46.7 max games per skater slot is sufficient as owners will look to make moves throughout the season. Does it make sense to go with 1,008 (56 x 18) or go even higher? Anyone else run into this conundrum?
    Our max games for skaters is 1008. 18 skaters * 56 games. We have a bench of 8 players so with substitutions and injury replacements, hitting the max should not be a problem.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The better question is why do you have rate stats in a roto league? The whole point of roto leagues is that you accumulate points over the course of the season which is not possible with rate stats.
    I disagree that rate stats shouldn't be used in Roto. The original Roto baseball had 10 stats and 3 were rates (BA, ERA, WHIP). I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It's just a preference.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I disagree that rate stats shouldn't be used in Roto. The original Roto baseball had 10 stats and 3 were rates (BA, ERA, WHIP). I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It's just a preference.
    I was going to post this exact same thing. We should all be thankful that the Italian Kitchen League wasn't the first one, otherwise, we'd be using some abbreviation of that.

Simply put, dealing with both rate and counting stats over a season-long league requires a balance of thinking and more sophisticated strategy that pure stat accumulation doesn't.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.