Thread: NHL getting the Nickelodeon treatment

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default NHL getting the Nickelodeon treatment

The NFL made a clear push for a younger audience with the Saints/Bear's playoff game being simulcast on Nickelodeon. I'm an old fogey but realize that leagues need to reach out to a younger demographic and grow that audience. I saw some high lights and it appeared fun (with the end zone getting slimed with a touchdown and field goals having to go through Sponge Bob's head in the uprights).

What are thoughts of the NHL doing a similar type outreach? Puck occasionally shown as a Krabby Patty (shoot outs) with goalies getting slimed when scored upon?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: NHL getting the Nickelodeon treatment

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    The NFL made a clear push for a younger audience with the Saints/Bear's playoff game being simulcast on Nickelodeon. I'm an old fogey but realize that leagues need to reach out to a younger demographic and grow that audience. I saw some high lights and it appeared fun (with the end zone getting slimed with a touchdown and field goals having to go through Sponge Bob's head in the uprights).

What are thoughts of the NHL doing a similar type outreach? Puck occasionally shown as a Krabby Patty (shoot outs) with goalies getting slimed when scored upon?
    Whatever might come in the future I just hope its way better than the failed Marvel heroes of the NHL years ago:

https://news.avclub.com/stan-lee-s-f...ter-1798259564

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not a fan of gimmicky stuff. Hockey will never be that popular because it's a naturally cold weather sport to play cheaply, equipment costs limit who can play and if you don't grow up watching/playing, you will struggle to understand the rules. Having an NHL team in your region certainly helps and I guess you can play road hockey pretty cheaply, but I still believe the NHL won't grow beyond 32 teams, nor should they. I would love a European NHL division, but that would be tough as it might eliminate top teams in European leagues.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Whatever might come in the future I just hope its way better than the failed Marvel heroes of the NHL years ago:

Forgot about that!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Not a fan of gimmicky stuff. Hockey will never be that popular because it's a naturally cold weather sport to play cheaply, equipment costs limit who can play and if you don't grow up watching/playing, you will struggle to understand the rules. Having an NHL team in your region certainly helps and I guess you can play road hockey pretty cheaply, but I still believe the NHL won't grow beyond 32 teams, nor should they. I would love a European NHL division, but that would be tough as it might eliminate top teams in European leagues.
    I don't think that the growth of the sport beyond the number of teams is the $$growth the NHL needs. It needs exposure to other markets. I agree, it's almost a niche sport but it's such a wonderful sport that it should be more accessible in a way that makes the causal fan watching it can pick up the rules so that they don't seem arcane and mysterious.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post

I never saw that, but some of those heroes aren't bad. Fro example, the Penguin is essentially Iceman from the X-Men, even down to the pose.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I thought it was more like Cyclops on icemans ice.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

[QUOTE=tweetdrivr;2099141]I thought it was more like Cyclops on icemans ice.[/QUOTE

A bit of Cyclops look, sure, but you get the idea. I need to track down the whole list of these.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

That would be cool to see - post it if you find it.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

I heard on the radio a bunch of 60yr old guys saying they want the NHL to having nothing to do with Nickelodeon because if a 7yr old is watching football, he/she knows to just go to the right channel to watch it.

WTF. I understand personally not wanting to watch a Nickelodeon version of a game, but if I'm watching football/hockey with my child who is like 3-5 and I want them to pay attention so I get to pay attention, Nickelodeon version of a game is great.

Chill out people, you'll find a version of the game online/on tv that isn't slimmed if you don't want to watch it lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I heard on the radio a bunch of 60yr old guys saying they want the NHL to having nothing to do with Nickelodeon because if a 7yr old is watching football, he/she knows to just go to the right channel to watch it.

WTF. I understand personally not wanting to watch a Nickelodeon version of a game, but if I'm watching football/hockey with my child who is like 3-5 and I want them to pay attention so I get to pay attention, Nickelodeon version of a game is great.

Chill out people, you'll find a version of the game online/on tv that isn't slimmed if you don't want to watch it lol.
    Sport talk radio often has really dumb callers and hosts.

Dobber Sports Novice

As someone who is in a market dominated by everything but hockey, I think it would go a long way for some people to watch hockey for the first time. I remember my first time watching hockey. I didn't know any rules. So having a cartoon character explaining the rules to someone who doesn't know them would be helpful. I don't hate the idea. Plus it would a fun one-off game for any fan to watch. If you're a fan who gets upset about wanting the game to try something new without actually changing the game, kick rocks.
    In a 12 man league where we start 9F, 5D, 1 skater and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 2 players but if kept in consecutive season, the draft position is subtracted 5 rounds (17th rounder to 12th rounder).

G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, HIT, BLK, and DEF.

F - Zibenajad, Nugent-Hopkins, Panarin, Marchand, Hoffman, Cirelli, Kaprizov, Josh Anderson, Burakovsky, Kotkaniemi, Hischier, Arvidsson,
    D - Slavin, Doughty, Weber, M. Pettersson, Orlov, McNabb

W, SV, SV% and SO.

G - Varlamov, Sorokin, Lehner, Binnington
    IR - Rossi

BRING HOCKEY TO HOUSTON TEXAS!!!