• Yanni Gourde

3 50.00%
  • Mark Giordano

0 0%
  • Torey Krug

0 0%

Thread: Who to Drop: Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mark Giordano or Torey Krug

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Who to Drop: Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mark Giordano or Torey Krug

Head to head 24 team roto league with the following point system:

G: 4
    A: 2
    +/-: 1
    SOG: 0.5
    PPP: 1
    SHP: 2
    Hit: 0.5
    Block: 0.5
    FOW: 0.1
    W:6
    Goal Against: -2
    Save: 0.25
    Shutout: 6
    Shootout Loss: 3

I need to create about $4M in cap space to get under our salary cap. Whichever guy I drop will be replaced with an NHLer currently on my farm team.

Here are their stats from last season and their salaries:
    Tyler Johnson: 221.8 points in 65 games for 3.41 points per game - $5,000,000
    Yanni Gourde: 200.3 points in 70 games for 2.86 points per game - $5,166,666
    Mark Giordano: 262.5 points in 60 games for 4.38 points per game - $6,750,000
    Torey Krug: 254 points in 61 games for 4.16 points per game - $6,500,000

I think the obvious choice is Yanni Gourde but then you look at his playoff stats (where he moved to center full time) and he had 4.97 points per game compared to only 3.37 points per game for Johnson. Then you think about their PP ice time in the playoffs and they both played on PP2 but now Johnson is set to be the bumper on PP1 at least part-time. Getting PP1 time with Stamkos, Hedman, Point should lead to a big increase in points for him.

The dmen on the list because I have 4 #1 dmen and those 2 are the most expensive and have the lowest trade value.

My Roster:
    C: P Bergeron, G Landeskog, J Benn
    W: B Marchand, T Meier, B Tanev, P Zacha, B Tanev, A Watson, T Jost
    F: A Kempe, Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, D Caggiula, J Archibald
    D: S Jones, M Giordano, C McAvoy, T Krug, J Oleksiak, E Cernak, M Anderson
    G: J Allen, V Husso

Farm (not including names doubtful to play NHL games this season):
    F: B Lizotte, N Gregor, M Stephens, C Vergaeghe, R Asplund,
    D: B Pasichnuk, B Keeper, L Carlsson, Y Zamula
    G: L Dostal

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Who to Drop: Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mark Giordano or Torey Krug

It would be Gourde from that group.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Who to Drop: Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mark Giordano or Torey Krug

Gourde for me as well. FW gets Johnson the win.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Gourde for me as well. FW gets Johnson the win.
    Do you know that Gourde is now playing center and Johnson while Johnson is playing the wing with Anthony Cirelli? I can understand dropping Gourde over Johnson but it won't be because of FOWs. Gourde had 50% more FOWs than Johnson did in the playoffs (127 vs 83).

Dobber Sports Demi-God

{edit}

Whoever is playing C3 shouldn't put up many points though, right?
    Does TB have any cap issues left?

Capfriendly, I think, has them under... but that's only rostering 12F/6D/2G.
    Maybe they don't feel they need any spares with the "taxi squad" thing.

If Gourde is C3 - that's more of a "fill time" line... without much offense.
    Have Gourde make sure there are no goals-against - he's probably better two-way C than Johnson.
    Which plays to Johnson's benefit to still get wing-time in the top 6, yes?

So... Johnson... if this is the case.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    How long can you wait to decide?
    If it's noon... might we see TB push somebody to "waivers" at noon.
    Are they over the cap? (Can't recall, might be under with the Kuch-IR and the Paquette trade)

If Gourde is taking FOW at center... for me, it suggests that Johnson might be pushed to AHL to bury that contract.
    Would that help them with cap situ?

If yes, it's a pretty good "tell" that Johnson's NHL usage is in jeopardy.
    I dont see Johnson going anywhere. They are no longer in cap hell and Johnson has been in the top six for quite some time now. To move a guy from the top six and 2nd PP to the minors is quite a leap downward.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

I have until puck drop on Wednesday!

I think the Lightning are now under the cap as they have $17,000,000 on the LTIR with Kucherov, Nilsson and Gaborik.

Johnson has been playing with Killorn and Cirelli while Gourde has been centering Coleman and Goodrow (just like he did for their whole playoff run).

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont see Johnson going anywhere. They are no longer in cap hell and Johnson has been in the top six for quite some time now. To move a guy from the top six and 2nd PP to the minors is quite a leap downward.
    Yeah... soon as I wrote it, I realized I was interpreting the capfriendly numbers wrong.
    I hate how they have them set-up, but I guess teams have to wait until regular season is underway to officially put those guys on LTIR.
    Plus, TB needs to be as tight to cap as possible (I believe, to their benefit) so their LTIR relief brings them down just barely below the cap.

They show $97.3m... then somebody has to do the subtraction of Kucherov, Gaborik, Nilsson on their own.
    Oops, I posted before my brain recalled the Paquette move.

So, if TB is at $80.342m ($97.317 - $16.975 to LTIR), then I'd guess they'll still put whoever gets them closest to $81.5m on their opening roster.
    That would be Cal Foote, at $0.925m. (Cap management by GMs is still not a strength of mine... but I write this just to see if I understand the paper-moves well enough)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Yeah... soon as I wrote it, I realized I was interpreting the capfriendly numbers wrong.
    I hate how they have them set-up.

They show $97.3m... then somebody has to do the subtraction of Kucherov, Gaborik, Nilsson on their own.
    Oops, I posted before my brain recalled the Paquette move.
    The only reason I could see it happening is because TJ already cleared waivers but again, I dont expect this now with their injuries.

Dobber Sports Icon

Tyler Johnson back on waivers today. Guess I have to wait until tomorrow to make a decision.