Thread: Rate my draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Rate my draft

Team should be in sig below, draft took place not too long ago.

some key moments:

> picked 2nd out of 12 teams and surprisingly, MacKinnon was taken 1st overall. I then chose Drai over McD. Hope no sort of major wrong decision wasn't made with that. Primarily did b/c have 2 starting centre spots vs 3 wings, thus wings holding more value..."2 birds with 1 stone", Drai is C/W with McD being just a C. Fwiw, Drai was our leagues #1 player last yr having the most overall points + highest average fantasy ppg (including over McD) so that was my rationale assuming both for the most part should be glued together production wise...tbh heading into the draft, my plan all along was to take Drai at 2 assuming McDavid went 1 so I hope that didn't blind me and isn't as big of a reach other than for name sake

> in the 3rd round, went Carlson over Pastrnak. Was too tempting having the best fantasy dman on the board and was able to double down with arguably the 2nd best fantasy dman in Dougie Hamilton the following round

> goalies were going early and I'm quite unsure of them myself this year with the condensed schedule. Goal was to A) get a goalie who should get majority of the starts not having a whole lot of competition behind them & B) have the bare minimum 2 goalies AKA not draft 3 goalies for reasons mentioned AKA not having to deal with goalie starts/splits etc this year will bring

> Fiala+E.Kane being my main sleepers, secured them both in the 2nd half of the draft

> took Tarasenko R12...stashed on IR, added Grzelcyk after the draft as the extra/4th dman

> waited till the 2nd last round to select the 2nd netminder (same criteria), went Dubnyk over Talbot. Kind of regretting it thinking should've went Talbot. Just feel the Sharks as a whole should bounce back having the bigger star players due to prove themselves. I do feel Talbot will get more clearcut games but at the same time, I believe the Sharks won't rely on Jones too much already knowing what they have in him...hoping Dubnyk+Sharks turn back the clock as a whole and this becomes a homerun pick despite Talbot looking to be the safer goalie. Dunno how to feel about this

> picked Rust last, how he fell so far is beyond me. Zucker also went undrafted. To put into perspective, Rust's fantasy ppg in our league from last year amongst purely wingers was just below the likes of P.Kane/Miller/Guentzel/Pacioretty & above the likes of Marner/Rantanen/Huberdeau/Svechnikov. Part of that due to Guentzel being hurt but even now, it looks to be he's secured Malkin's wing spot so I don't see why his production drops off a cliff or anything like that...would you say Rust or Zucker is the better of the 2 to own?

.....would love to hear some thoughts on the drafted roster. Any tips/concerns/criticisms to improve would be really appreciated !
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Default Re: Rate my draft

For context, here’s some notable players available that went undrafted,

G: Merzlikins, Korpisalo, Halak, Rinne, Ullmark
    W: Perron, R.Smith, Palat
    C: Reinhart, Toews, Cirelli, Pageau
    D: Dumba, Grzelyck(claimed), Muzzin, Parayko

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You drafted really well. Great plan and execution. Sure a few risks in there like Dubnyk, but goalies are voodoo and this could work out well. Surprised Parayko and Dumba still available on D, your league must not be too D heavy
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    You drafted really well. Great plan and execution. Sure a few risks in there like Dubnyk, but goalies are voodoo and this could work out well. Surprised Parayko and Dumba still available on D, your league must not be too D heavy
    Ty

Yea the defence is a bit thin having 3 spots compared to the traditional 4. But teams went off the radar with sleeper picks so maybe that’s why.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I’d go Ullmark > Dubnyk, but I have less faith in the sharks in that division than you do. Or see if Columbus settles on one guy. Overall, nice team!