Thread: n00b H2H manager

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Question n00b H2H manager

First time H2H manager here. Cats are pretty standard with G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK for forwards.

What's the optimal draft strategy, especially early in in the first few rounds? Do you focus on players that dominate multiple categories, or do you prioritize G, PPP which are harder to come by in later rounds?
    Example: in the first do you take OV or McD? in the 2nd round, do you go for someone like Brady or someone like Crosby/Kane?
    I used FHG and guys like Brady are clear early first rounders. Sure ideally I wait and hope I can take Brady later on but lets just assume we're targeting the best available player.

Please provide some justification so that I can better understand.

Also any other H2H cats tips would be greatly appreciated

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: n00b H2H manager

So, in a league that has both penalty minutes AND hits, those two categories are worth just as much as goals and assists. If there was just one of those categories, then scoring might be your priority. But you are absolutely right that Ovi is worth as much or more then McDavid in this format. Brady and Matt Tkachuk, Evander Kane, Tom Wilson, you get the idea. I think the mistake that is too easy to make, is to think you can be best at everything. Either go for the Rocket or abandon it. Sure, some well-rounded guys? Absolutely. Forwards and defenseman on PP1. And absolutely grab one quality GK early (not usually first).
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Interesting. I was thinking to try and be balanced at everything, but i should instead just focus on a few? I was thinking balanced would help me compete vs every team.

What about scarcity of cats later on? Are some stats harder to get later. I would guess PPP and Gs

Dobber Sports Stud

It’s not so much to focus on a few. But I think that you’re good at everything, jack of all trades, sometimes it’s easiest to give up at least one of them. Either decide that your team will compete for scoring, or the peripheral cats. I just had a draft where my first two picks (beyond the keepers from last year) were Grubauer and Francouz. Too many scorers gone? I went with Hits, Blocks, PIM’s, and +/- I didn’t ignore scoring - focused on assists over goals, however. Sure, I’ll “compete” in lots of categories but if my goalkeepers win, I’ll off to a 5-1 start most weeks.

I guess my main point is, Don’t just go for name recognition. Players like Darnell Nurse are just as valuable as Quinn Hughes.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Gotcha thanks that's super helpful. I really like the tip to give up at least one of them, and to adapt as the pool goes on.