Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Dobber Expert Stanley League

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2021 Dobber Expert Stanley League

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    Thanks. I’ve meant to do that. It’s just that Temek was leading until a couple of days ago.
    So as long as you stay in first then you'll provide standings' updates in future?

When you pick McDavid, you think you’re getting points but giving up some shots and a lot of hits. This year, he’s pacing for 315 shots and 89 hits over 82 games. Honestly, one of the highlights of my winter.
    Yep, that is what I had thought and figured the peripherals would offset the points. But what I didn't consider strongly enough is that McDavid would feast even more and dominate. Add that to MacKinnon's injuries (hopefully not too long this time) and it's a big hit. Oh well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    So as long as you stay in first then you'll provide standings' updates in future?
    Yes. We should all conspire to make this happen. I did kind of shoot my bolt getting everything going. I thought that might be the case. I do want to get the manager spreadsheet sorted out for next year. I’m off work for a bit, recovering from surgery, nothing serious, but that actually makes things harder as I don’t have Excel at home.

I listened to a podcast that suggested that McDavid has heard the “MacKinnon is the best player in the world” narrative and he’d come out pissed off this year. Combined with the generally poor defences in Canada, he’d have a big year. Hopefully, he keeps it up and doesn’t play the Leafs too many more times.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Rank Team Points
    1 Yellow Dogs 86.5
    2 Last Resort 68.5
    3 Samson's Mullet 68
    4 Lord of the Rinks 64
    5 It's Grub Hour! 62.5
    6 CCCF 61
    7 Let The Reit ONe IN 60.5
    8 Greiss Burns Hertl 49.5
    9 Drake's Bathhouse 49
    10 Give'Em Enough Roope 48
    11 Skinner Jeans 44
    12 Le KopiTzar 40.5

Dobber Sports Titan

Just running away with it. I'm gunning for a top 3 finish at best. Up to fourth with tonight's stats.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

So question:
    Last year I placed 3rd in this league, but due to holidays and a busy January month and Covid, I totally gap'd about the season started in January... the fantasy season! I missed signing up for anything (my live draft with friends also didn't run - we decided it was just less stressful to have a lockout).

So next season when I sign back up again will I have to start in the lowest division or can I start in the tier below this one? Is there even three tiers, I forget.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

The Wolverine

Congrats duntroon! Dominant victory!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Just running away with it. I'm gunning for a top 3 finish at best. Up to fourth with tonight's stats.
    Great second place finish for you.

A bit inconsistent for my team this year. Didn't help that both my main goalies were hurt at various times during the year. Oh well.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, definitely managed to heat up at the end. Some solid goalies and a +/- stat that went from almost the bottom of the league to 2nd really helped.

Fun year all in all! Sad that we have to lose four members, but looking forward to some fresh competition next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Went into this as always with a couple of outline strategies (Forwards first, make sure I have enough goalies, well rounded D), and a short bit of research into some pre-ranking, but that was it... oh, and a beer! (For those of you in Southern Ontario I've discovered this new spot in Bracebridge that has free shipping across the province on over $75 orders - Their Overdraft Saison is my new favourite brew.)

This is such a great league to draft in, because as P7 mentioned, LOTR, Temek, and P7 himself are some of the hardest guys to draft alongside. Horrofan autografts so well that no one is ever left sitting there for too long, and from playing against them the last few years in these leagues I have a huge respect for some of the other guys like Max, Filip, and the other two Mikes.

*Pro tip, if you want to do a yahoo mock for a 12 team league, draft in a 14 team mock and that's usually the quality of players left at each of your picks in the top 150 or so.*

On to the picks!
    Round 1 - Andrei Svechnikov
    I had Vas, Matthews, and Eichel ahead of him in that order, and was actually kind of hoping I would end up with Svech anyways because he does it all. G, SOG, +/-, Hits, PPP - all elite.
    Meh, he was decent. Should have been a second round pick.

Round 2 - Brad Marchand
    In all my mocks I ended up with him here, and he's a first round talent. Simple.
    Solid.

Round 3 - Mikko Rantanen
    I was expecting one of the top four D here, but the last two (Josi/Hamilton) went with the two picks before me. Hurts even more that my guy Josi was one pick away. (You can give as good as you get P7.) Couldn't pass up loading up my offence with another possible first round talent.
    Lucked into him after missing those D. He was huge.

Round 4 - John Tavares
    Well, I was expecting to have a Dman by now, but there were none worth grabbing here over the forwards, and unexpectedly the top G were not slipping. With some high end offence booked, I can focus on other positions, and focus I did...
    Solid.

Round 5-7 - Tristan Jarry, Philip Grubauer, Pavel Francouz
    Knew I couldn't wait too much longer on goalies, and Jarry was the last in my higher tier of volume starters on decent teams. Getting Grubs a round later was a gamble that Francouz would last, and since he did I managed to lock up 90 starts with likely at least 60 of them being wins. Figured I could grab DeSmith way later.
    *Narrator's voice: "He thought wrong"*
    Well, I got most of the COL starts and that was awesome. Francouz was a waste.
    Managed to snag DeSmith off the waiver wire two weeks in which helped.

Rounds 8-10 Shea Weber, Zach Werenski, Tomas Chabot
    I had Ryan Pulock and Shea Weber as the top two D on my list and I thought Pulock was the more likely of the two to slip another round. He didn't - the first of a ton of D stolen by Yellow Dogs. Locking up the top half of my D with three high scorers was great, and combined they don't hurt me too much in any of the peripherals.
    Chabot was solid but the other two disappointed

Rounds 11-12 Evgeny Kuznetsov, Ben Bishop
    I was not expecting to take either of these two players in any draft this season let alone in this league, but there was too much possible value here to pass up. One of the top 10 starters in the league for half of a season and a 70-point C? Sure, why not! Having just missed Kaprizov I didn't have a lot else in my queue that I was hugely looking forward to right away anyways.
    Kuz was okay, Bishop was another waste.

Round 13 - Alexis Lafreniere
    Sergachev got taken two picks before me, and apparently he was at the top of P7's list too so he definitely wasn't making it to me. Decided to swing on the upside of Laf.
    Note to self, stop reaching for rookies!

Round 14-15 - Jake Muzzin
    A little short on hits, I knew I would have to cover that later in the draft. Muzzin doesn't get PPPs, but I should be covered well enough there anyways. Suter is similarly not flashy, but effective. D was really starting to thin out.
    Meh.

Round 16 - Joe Pavelski
    I knew I needed another F and Joe's combination of PP exposure, hits, and a solid floor made him the safest pick. I also had a sneaking suspicion he would be gone by my next selection.
    BOOM! This was much better value than I was expecting. Have to wake up earlier to draft Pavs next year Peng

Round 17 - Josh Anderson
    Banking on the injury rebound and the new team adrenaline. A 25 goal and 200 hit 82-game-pace would be amazing. At worst it's a 15/150 pace. Had top-line-winger Burakovsky all lined up until he went three picks before me.
    Solid

Round 18 - Pavel Buchnevich
    Doubling down on the NYR winger situation, and Buch looks ready to pop on that top line. Was sad to miss out on Cernak.
    MVP pick. Amazing value

Round 20 - Robert Thomas
    Gotta have guys on your teams that you enjoy, and after missing Josi I wanted one of my other favourites in Thomas. P7 and I are probably the two biggest Robert Thomas fans out there. It's going to be a goooood year from him! Now he just needs to be on that top PP all season.
    Wasn't on my team long.

Round 21 - Ryan Reaves
    I told you, I needed hits...
    Not great.

Round 22-23 Noah Dobson, Chris Dreidger
    Trying to make sure I can fill out games at D and G, and these two offered some sure games plus upside. Projected goalie starts: 125 - good enough.
    Both excellent picks.

Round 24 - Nikita Zadorov
    I think he leads the league in hits this year. Huge minutes on a CHI team that will never have the puck. Hoping his +/- balances out with Reaves.
    Meh.

Round 25 - Mikhail Grigorenko
    "Do you know who has two thumbs and finds a first line [winger] and PP1 forward in round 25... yeah, it's this guy.
    -Michael Scott"
    -Alex MacLean
    Whoops. That was a flop.

All in all, happy with the team, and it should be a competitive year! I don't think it's quite a first overall team (Apparently I knew what I was talking about), but hopefully with a few moves throughout the year coupled with a bit of luck, I can get there.

Some added thoughts here:
    https://twitter.com/alexdmaclean/sta...76810089668608

Combining two of my favourite things, hockey and food, this team shall henceforth be know by the call: It's Grub Hour!

Attachment 5067

(No idea how you make the photos bigger)
    Red is the new stuff.
    The Jason Robertson and Jordan Staal adds were also hugely clutch.

Meanwhile, the Staal/Chabot for Fleury/Josi deal seemed to work for both sides as I jumped to 2nd and P7 jumped to 8th to avoid relegation. Nice to see some win/win deals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yellow Dogs 88
    2 It's Grub Hour! 77
    3 CCCF 73.5
    4 Last Resort 68
    5 Samson's Mullet 66
    6 Let The Reit ONe IN 63
    7 Lord of the Rinks 60
    8 Drake's Bathhouse 48.5
    9 Greiss Burns Hertl 47
    10 Give'Em Enough Roope 43
    11 Skinner Jeans 34
    11 Le KopiTzar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I swear I do not know how to post results of any kind on this forum properly or easily.

The Wolverine

I swear I do not know how to post results of any kind on this forum properly or easily.
    Butch sent me this link:

https://truben.no/table/

Works well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Congrats Yellow Dogs/duntroon!

I red my post-season team assessment
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    1. (3) Leon Draisaitl (EDM, C/LW) - Easy pick, partially carried, along with Huberdeau, my team offensively all season

2. (22) Carter Hart (PHI, G) - Total bust... Horrible season, I probably would be higher in the goalie stats standing if not for him

3. (27) Victor Hedman (TB, D) - Good pick, good season (0.83P/G, 24PPP, over 2Shots per game), did what is expected of him.

4. (46) Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA, LW) - There Miller, Pacioretty, Schenn, M. Tkachuk, Rantanen, Landeskog are all in my queue only to see them snatched before my pick... So I opted for Huberdeau, a bit light on hits but one of the top PPP players over the last few years. Great season as said above carried my team offensively with Draisaitl

5. (51) Tukka Rask (BOS, G) - My plan was to have two goalies by the 6th round. With all the high workload goalies gone, I chose Rask, which I think will offer the best stats if I can handcuff Halak (which I did). I've considered Shesterkin and Samsonov there but with 12GP and 26GP respectively, I felt safer with Rask. Did what I was expecting, when not injured

6. (70) Dylan Larkin (DET, C) - With Schenn, Meier, Connor off the board I go for Larkin which I think will rebound A little concern about +/- here, but it should be better than last season. Bust... Started off OK, but with Bertuzzi down, couldn't produce the rest of the season.

7. (75) Ivan Provorov (PHI, D) - I wanted a D here, Seth Jones was taken and has he was the D I felt was the less likely to make it to my next pick. OK pick. A that point I won't consider anything more than a 0.5P/game D. Hits and Shots have been trending down over a few seasons now.

8. (94) Filip Forsberg (NSH, LW) - In retrospec, I am not sure about this pick... Maybe I should have gone with Pulock, Petry, Wilson or Hoffman (which I did not realized was still on the board until he was picked after my 9th round pick). I hope he can rebound a little from last season, he's still shooting and providing decent hits. Decent pick. Very decent season, but as expected missed quite a few games at some point in the season

9. (99) Anders Lee (NYI, LW) - My plan was to get two of Pulock, Petry, Marchessault, Palmieri, Lee. Got Lee at 9th, underated player and good value at the 100 pick limt I think. Good pick, was one of my goals providers before his season ending injury

10. (118) Kyle Palmieri (NJ, RW) - See above. Got two wingers providing both goals and hits. Bust, wasted pick. Didn't even come close to what I was expecting

11. (123) Charlie McAvoy (BOS, D) - Good across the board production, maybe I should have waited another round... I left good value on the board in Kaprizov, Fiala and Kreider... Good multi-cat season

12. (142) Alexander Radulov (DAL, LW/RW) - With Kaprizov, Fiala and Kreider gone, went with Radulov. Bust, missed most of the season or was a perennial game time decision, which was difficult to track for me having 12h time difference.

13. (147) Jaroslav Halak (BOS, G) - I wanted to have two goalie tandem and was starting to worry Halak would be picked up soon. First team goalie handcuff, done. Good pick at that position. Provided good value before being out with covid

14. (166) Anthony Cirelli (TB - C) - Good value at this point in the draft. Completely forgot about Suzuki there, which was taken a few picks after. Bust...

15. (171) Tyler Bertuzzi (DET - LW/RW) - Happy with that pick there. I see him improve his numbers (if the +/- can improve as well) Bust. Got 7 games out of him

16. (190) Alex Edler (VAN, D) - Does not produce offesively as he used to, but still provides decent numbers in every cats. Meh
    17. (195) Evgenii Dadonov (OTT, LW/RW) - Not a sexy pick, decent numbers, a bit light on hits, but should be on PP1 in OTT. Total bust. Should have dropped in way earlier than I did
    18. (214) John Marino (PIT, D) - I was hoping Cernak, Buchnevich or Anderson would slide to my pick but they didn't. Went with Marino, hopefully he can build on last season. Irrelevant
    19. (219) Roope Hintz (DAL, C/LW) - Decent Hit production, dual position and I see him improve his numbers. Best value pick of the draft. Great season, when he was playing. Missed a few productive night from because of the game-time decisions thought...
    20. (238) David Krejci (BOS, C) - Needed a 4th C and I felt it was the best option at that point. Good season as whole. Dropped him at some point when he was cold. In retrospect probably should have dropped Cirrelli instead
    21. (243) Esa Lindell (DAL, D) - Across the board contributor. OK pick, provided what I was expecting, a hits along with a few points.
    22. (262) Brian Elliot (PHI, G) - Philly goalie handcuff The Philly goalie tandem was horrible...
    23. (267) Jared Studnicka (BOS, C) - Projected to be on first line with Bergeron and Marchand until Pastrnak returns (I see this morning he his N/A... Couldn't find any info...) Irrelevant, dropped two days after draft
    24. (286) Jonathon Quick (LA, G) - Fifth goalie to make sure I can max out goalie GP.
    25. (291) Olli Maatta (LA, D) - Projected to play with Doughty, plenty of TOI to go around and might result in more secondary assists and hits.

Overall, for a first time in the expert league, I think I did OK. I think I might be in the lower tier in G and SOG (I was right on that, finished dead last in SOG and second last in G), but hopefully my goalies will allow mhime to avoid relegation
    To resume
    Draft: B-, most of the late round value picks I went for got season ending near season ending injuries (Radulov, Lee, Forserg, Bertuzzi), but I still think they were good picks where I took them. A few picks were bust (Hart, Larkin, Dadonov, Cirelli, Palmieri).
    Waiver wire: D, I picked a few decent players (Comtois, Pageau, Swayman) but in general I was way too slow to pull the trigger and drop or pick up players.
    Game management: F, I think I am the team with the lowest GP. It has been a really challenge for me this year. I missed/forgot about the weekly deadline a few times (it is at 3 on Monday afternoon for me, while at work).
    Trade: N/A, didn't make any trade. I got a trade offer early for Hintz which I rejected and happy I did.
    Overall: D.
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How many teams get relegated 2 or 4?
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Four are relegated. Two come up from the two leagues below.