Thread: when to draft marion gaborik?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default when to draft marion gaborik?

as everyone probably knows by now, gaborik has spent this summer in the states strengthening his groin.

if you buy this and think his groin has really strengthened and he can play more games, 1. how many more do you think he can play and 2. when would you draft him? personally i think i would try to get him 4th or 5th round, no earlier, at that spot, he could be a steal and you didn\'t give up a kovalchuk type player if gaborik reinjures his groin.

gaborik i believe when healthy is one of the better players in the league and probably the top 3 in acceleration which really helps and results in more points.
    9 team One Year Rotisserie League (Daily Rosters with 82 Max Games Played) 40 move limit
    Cats: G A +/- PIM PPG PPP SHP GWG SOG GWG FW HIT BLK W GAA SV SV% SHO
    3C 2LW 2RW 4D 1UTIL 2G 3BN

C McDavid Larkin Dubois Schenn Konecny
    LW Panarin Connor Arvidsson Nichushkin
    RW Marner Necas Buchnevich
    D Fox Burns Pietrangelo Durzi
    G Oettinger Samsonov
    IR+ P. Kane

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:when to draft marion gaborik?

There are conflicting rumors on if he stayed in Minny and worked on the groin issue, or if he was back in Europe......upside is off the charts for this guy...but he\'s certified band-aid boy. Question isn\'t will he get hurt, it\'s when and for how long...but he will go down, so I would not go too early on him..

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you dont take him when the 90 point forwards go you wont get him.

I say dont get him.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This and a million other threads have caused me to wonder if anyone knows a player through the years who has ripped a groin early and gone on to a stellar career? I don\'t know of any, but thought someone might recall a player who has.

Dobber Sports Genius

He is probably a 2nd tier player will go in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

On a side note, Shoeless, are you the same Shoeless from Hockey Utopia?
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Novice

mclarenf1 wrote:
    as everyone probably knows by now, gaborik has spent this summer in the states strengthening his groin.

if you buy this and think his groin has really strengthened and he can play more games, 1. how many more do you think he can play and 2. when would you draft him? personally i think i would try to get him 4th or 5th round, no earlier, at that spot, he could be a steal and you didn\'t give up a kovalchuk type player if gaborik reinjures his groin.

gaborik i believe when healthy is one of the better players in the league and probably the top 3 in acceleration which really helps and results in more points.
    future president of the band aid boy club

typo88

It would definately be a gamble, but this guy is a dynamo when hes healthy, and as most people know, he stayed in the states to train with team dr.\'s etc all summer.

So far I can name a player that has torn his groin early in his career, but has come back. It is still very early to tell, but kari lehtonen was experiencing some major groin problems until he too spent the offseason in the states. I believe he started 68 games last year.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Gaborik is worth picking up if your in a league where he happens to slip a little bit farther down the line. If by chance he fell to early 3rd round I think he would be well worth the pick. ( Of course it depends on the size of the league your talking about)

Dobber Sports Giant

Gaborik is definitely a risk. But as Isles78 said, I would grab him if he comes to me late. I was able to grab him last year just before he came back and never regretted it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

without revealing too much, I\'d consider taking him as the sixth or seventh best forward in the draft.

Just a hunch, he could get injured again and make me look like a fool, but you won\'t win many pools if you avoid calculated risks.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Demi-God

angus wrote:
    without revealing too much, I\'d consider taking him as the sixth or seventh best forward in the draft.

Just a hunch, he could get injured again and make me look like a fool, but you won\'t win many pools if you avoid calculated risks.
    Talent wise and based on the end of season performance - I doubt many could argue that Gabbie belongs in the upper echelon of forwards. Obviously he was healed enough to play well over the last weeks of last season and my guess would be he has done nothing to reinjure himself and he likely has indeed focused on trying to get injury-proofed if you will. I think you are bang on with Gabbie, Angus. He is a calculated risk, one worth taking - I have him marked for drafting but it will certainly depend on where I am in the draft and my draft strategy, as to whether I can get him or not.

Dobber Sports Pro

my league is projected to have 12 teams

this is what points are based on:
    G A GWG PPP SHP +/- all points are even (by that i mean goals are worth 1 points and assists are worth 1 point and so forth)

would it be a bad idea to take him 2nd round due to the fact that there are still many skilled players that are less of an injury risk remaining?
    9 team One Year Rotisserie League (Daily Rosters with 82 Max Games Played) 40 move limit
    Cats: G A +/- PIM PPG PPP SHP GWG SOG GWG FW HIT BLK W GAA SV SV% SHO
    3C 2LW 2RW 4D 1UTIL 2G 3BN

C McDavid Larkin Dubois Schenn Konecny
    LW Panarin Connor Arvidsson Nichushkin
    RW Marner Necas Buchnevich
    D Fox Burns Pietrangelo Durzi
    G Oettinger Samsonov
    IR+ P. Kane

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Clearly would be a bold pick to take him early in the 2nd round. Since Dr. Angus thinks Gabbie is ready to play over 70 games then it just might be the right place to take him. Don\'t think I would take him before 25th in a draft myself. No guts.