Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2020/21 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 2020/21 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Uzumaata (Based on Japenese film: Uzumaki)
    ***NOTE: I renamed the team as Uzumotte very early in the season... because Olli Maatta stunk... and Tyler Motte was found and awesome!***

Strategy:
    First & foremost, Yahoo! roto leagues are about goalies.
    For those "out of the loop", Yahoo! somehow couldn't manage to decrease their maxGP settings to 65.
    This is weird, but it means people need about 3-teams worth of goalies to hit. That's tough.
    There's some math.

*In truth, if I wanted to win this pool... I wouldn't have divulged this... but I do really like playing for the fun... and I like this group of GMs... so I did... and many of them got it... and most of them 10/13, still won't hit 130gp.*
    *I should... barring injuries... and that should get me a top 5 finish if I draft goalies heavily enough, and I did.*

Everything else settles in on skater-value when it's available.
    But goalies... goalies trump all in 65gp Roto this year.

Self-Draft Grade: A. I did well.
    Predicted Finish: 3rd. I did well.

Well... (pausing, thinking)... well...
    It was... an interesting season.
    There'll be some teams I reference in discussing it, as follows:

Finishing 1st: Temek-FINLAND? (far & away the best fantasy hockey mind I know of)
    Finishing 2nd: TTTFS-(...........) ("the team that finished second". Sorry, don't care to reference, that will become clear soon.)
    Finishing 3rd: Maaaa-AUSTRALIA? (a longtime forum member, traditionally runs a goalie-heavy draft hoping to create goalie scarcity and find partner to pay thru nose for it)
    Finishing 4th: Pengwin7-USA

Question: Why the country list P7? Are people outside of NA better at fantasy hockey?
    Answer: No, it's not a country thing. But it was definitely "Advantage: Across the Pond" this year. And I'll explain.

The settings this year were a 65gp limit on all roster spots: 12F/6D/2G.
    And how many games worth did we get... about 53-54 per team, by the Yahoo! cut-off date of May 8th (given the COVID reschedulings).

We typically have 5 bench spots.
    I advocated we'd need a lot more... 3+.
    Commissioner was good (horrorfan), increased it by 2 a few days before the draft.
    I say thanks for that, but in retrospect... an extra 4 or even 5 bench spots would've been more appropriate.
    (That's not a knock... nobody knew... but it got bad for some of us).

With the COVID and goalie injuries - some teams fell WAY behind in starts.
    None... moreso than mine.
    When teams start falling behind in GP, they roster a daily player for a game, drop him, he goes to waivers for 2 full days (which feels like 3).
    The more teams that do this, the thinner the "next day" pickings go.
    And... waiver players come OFF waivers at 3am Eastern-US... or like 10am Finland time, or 5pm Cambodia time, or 8pm Australia time... I don't know... but "AWAKE TIME".
    Big advantage this year. Huge.

Taking advantage of that better than anybody was temek.
    He churned the best available next day player coming off Waivers from late-February on.
    Nothing I could do but curse him for taking advantage there.
    The others, Ma/horrorfan/TTTFS/Wedgy got hip to it a bit late.
    Mostly... well done by temek.

In truth, honestly, it was my.best.draft.ever.
    I actually think I had the strongest draft.

My top 15 rounds worth of skaters pretty much all outperformed their draft spots:
    Matthews (1.06), finished as Yahoo #3
    Pastrnak (3.32), finished as Yahoo #50 (keep in mind I churned player stats in his absence)
    Bergeron (4.47), finished as Yahoo #7
    R.Strome (8.99), finished as Yahoo #31
    Barzal (9.110), finished as Yahoo #56
    McAvoy (10.125), finished as Yahoo #85
    Sergachev (11.136), finished as Yahoo #103
    Edler (12.151), finished as Yahoo #274 (but, he was around 130 when I traded him for OEL/Nedelkjovic... handily winning that trade as Edler went to injury)
    Pavelski (13.162), finished as Yahoo #13
    Everybody after about mid-way of many one-year drafts becomes churnable....

I also value-grabbed Tyler Motte while healthy, renaming team...
    And value-grabbed Sam Bennett (who was a top 10 player last month of year), as soon as he switched team.
    Jeremy Swayman was a gorgeous goalie to roster for his 6-7 starts this year too. Beauty.

Just brilliant skater draft: A+.
    But I finished last in Assists, and bottom 3 in points.
    And much of that was losing the battle to get anything good off the waivers.

TTTFS drafted one goalie. Rode that GAA/SV% to max points. Took min points in W, SV... and in doing that was able to draft and roster the most boss-skater unit in the history of this league. It would be a brilliant, brilliant move: especially in THIS season with the 65gp... except, there was a gentleman's agreement that nobody would pull the all-skater shit in this league. It's on past league chat boards. We all know it. TTTFS had some "I forgot, I wasn't feeling well" BS excuse for his draft day... which he aced for skaters... so there's no "out.of.it" excuse. IMO. It's probably the biggest steaming pile of BS excuse for bush league fantasy hockey play I've ever witnessed. Eff this guy. Used to think he was solid. Now... I'm rethinking my desire to play in any league he's a part of. I'm just not a fan of somebody playing fantasy hockey this way. It's supposed to be fun and it ruined it for me. Case-in-point... at one point this season, the guy had 8 skaters on his bench (because we have 5 normally, added 2, and he only had 1 goalie). And at one point in Feb/March, I'm actually running -1 skater (5D) and 8-10 goalies to try to rally points. Shakes head. Too easy. Violated gentleman's agreement. Showed what we all knew and threw off a fair league competition. Just. Awful.

Maaa's team was solid. I've got that team beat if I have fair shot at players coming off waivers... but kudos to him.

As for my team, the goalies threw off everything.
    Carter Hart (2.21) was the most disappointing stat-killer in hockey this year. There is not a fantasy hockey guru I know that suggested anything close to Hart's meltdown was possible. He cost me 6-8 points in GAA/SV%... all, but Reimer (& Hart), of my goalies were at .916 sv%, and that's 1st there. Those 8 points would put me at 124 finish, into 2nd. Petr Mrazek (5.58) was incredible while healthy, but I lost a month from him and whatever I patched in certainly cost me 2 points. Pavel Francouz (6.73) was almost as painful as Hart. He was injured without playing a.single.game. I mean just give me the average value of a 6th round skater... and I'm probably up 4-5 skater points there. Besides that, the league has two long only allowed 2 IR+ slots, costing me valuable clog space, forcing me to drop players while praying over a Francouz return. Talbot missed significant time... and the benefactor of that was Kappo Kahkonen, fortunately owned by temek. So that was not only a drop of 1-2 points for me, but probably a gain of 1-2 points for temek.

***And... for anybody that has ever wondering why P7 is usually a skater-heavy drafter. These two paragraphs above are Exhibit A & B.***

Put all that together... yeah, it coulda, shoulda been my year.
    The draft was there. And I churned what I could from the wire.
    Definitely a top two team, barring injury bad luck.
    And a top team if Carter Hart puts up just average-ish Carter Hart stats and I don't have the bad luck.

It is what it is.
    But probably the most proud I've been of what was in my control.

Grade on my season: A
    Actual Finish: 4th
    *Asteriked Finish: 1.5th

Dobber Sports Ninja

Here is a summary of my season in RHRS:

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Perfect Comish! BAHAHAHAHA.

Such a crazy year. I never played roto before this league. I am starting to understand what is happening now. Im hoping to build on my learnings this year. I did basically zero research for the draft this year due to personal issues. It turned out to be one of my best drafts. lol. Might wing it next year as well to see what happens. Got lucky with a few FA pickups early. Thought I was in good shape, but I dropped so many goalie points toward the end. There was no way to stop the bleeding as goalies were pretty rare find on the FA list. I did have a chuckle at Peng's roster a few times toward the end. He had like 4-5 goalie I aint even ever heard of. Fantastic league to be a part of.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey. I was just wondering if you guys ever have an opening that I could be added to your wait list. I have heard nothing but good things about this league.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Kory14 View Post
    Hey. I was just wondering if you guys ever have an opening that I could be added to your wait list. I have heard nothing but good things about this league.
    Hi, thanks for your interest but so you know we already have a few on our waiting list and have very little turnover. If that ever changes I'll keep you in mind.