Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Rocky Horror Roto Show

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2020/21 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Having the 13th pick, I knew it would be a challenge drafting at the end of the first and having back-to-back picks throughout the draft. Especially, as I knew there would be times where I had to decide whether to reach for 'my guy' or take a chance at losing them. Also, I had wondered what the short season (and increased max games) would do to goalie drafting amongst the group.

My general strategy was to focus on offense for my first picks and then probably grab a goalie at the 3/4 turn, as I expected the top guys to be gone or soon thereafter, and wasn't sure waiting for the 5/6 turn would be smart.

Without further ado:

Round 1/2: Eichel / Svechnikov
    I was not expecting Eichel to fall here so I didn't hesitate taking him first. Svechnikov was on my short list of players to target and decided on his solid, all around production.

Round 3/4: Burns / Rask
    If I didn't have a centre already I would have considered one here, but Burns still is one of the best fantasy-wise at his position, especially with strong shots and solid hits and blocks. The goalies were coming off the board so I knew I needed one and Rask was the best available on my list. Knowing he might get rested a fair bit, I had to try and get Halak later.

Round 5/6: Lindholm / Larkin
    Knowing this league, wingers who take faceoffs are targeted and Lindholm fits in, with decent hits total as well. Not sure if Larkin would've lasted until my next picks but aside from his +/-, he provides both strong SOG and FOW with a good chance at a bounce back season offensively.

Round 7/8: Korpisalo / Halak
    I had my eye on the Columbus duo but Elvis was grabbed a few picks before me. Korpisalo could start with the role but we'll see how the early season goes. As I wasn't sure if he would be the starter, I wanted to ensure I got my Rask handcuff, even if Halak at this point might be a bit early.

Round 9/10: Jones / Doughty
    With only one D, I wanted to make sure I didn't get stuck with guys who either were too one dimensional or didn't have enough PP time. I'm happy with getting both who can provide solid offense and peripherals.

Round 11/12: Rinne / Kreider
    With only one clear starting goalie on my team, I needed another one who could get a decent workload. Rinne struggled last year but hopefully he'll bounce back a bit with some quality starts, when I can fit him into my starting lineup. I hadn't picked a winger since round 5 and Kreider gives decent offense with good peripherals, including some PIM.

Round 13/14: Dumba / Hischier
    Didn't plan on getting my 4th D by round 13, but Dumba at this stage, with the aforementioned offense and peripherals, was too good to pass up. Pure centres are not plentiful and hope that Hischier can take the next step this season. I know he's hurt but hopefully not for long.

Round 15/16: Suzuki / Henrique
    Did I mention the league targets wingers who takes faceoffs? We'll see if Suzuki takes the next step or just has a modest offensive season, but at least he also chips in with a few hits. Henrique might have been a bit early but he's a decent contributor across several categories.

Round 17/18: Yamamoto / E. Staal
    Honestly I have no idea whose line Yamamoto is playing on but if he can give me some offense (not expecting anything close to last year's pace) and continue to hit a lot then I'll be happy. Wasn't planning on having two Buffalo centres but not many pure centres left so hopefully Staal will fit into his new home well and provide modest production for my C4.

Round 19/20: Driedger / Niederreiter
    Another goalie for depth, and if Bob struggles again then I might have another starter. Niederreiter on a good team and potentially could land on a solid top-6 line. If he can get around a point every two games with some more hits, then it works for me. Any more and it's a bonus. I'll take it in round 20.

Round 21/22: Ekholm / Beauvillier
    Depth picks. Ekholm as my D5 who is a decent, back end starter in both offense and some peripherals. Maybe this is the season that Beauvillier will break out, but if not he's a decent L4.

Round 23/24: Gudas / Lemieux
    Grit, grit and more grit.

Round 25/26: Kakko / Marino
    Low risk, potential high reward if Kakko can bounce back in his second year. Marino is a depth piece - not sure what to expect now that Matheson is there but gives some peripherals on my bench.

Round 27: Faksa
    It was 3:30 in the morning my time and I didn't really care who I picked. Depth centre, that's all.

The Babatuukk
    C: Eichel, Larkin, Hischier, E. Staal, Faksa
    L: Svechnikov (R), Kreider, Henrique (C), Beauvillier, Lemieux
    R: E. Lindholm (C), Suzuki (C), Yamamoto, Niederreiter (L), Kakko
    D: Burns, Jones, Doughty, Dumba, Ekholm, Gudas, Marino
    G: Rask, Korpisalo, Halak, Rinne, Driedger

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Crawling in the Dark

Yahoo didn't manage to fix their max GP settings in time so RHRS went forward with some additional bench spots and 65 max GP. This means 3 bench spots for skaters are essentially active roster players and then goalies are going to be even more scarce than usual. Even in the previous seasons only about one third of the league hit 164/165 goalie GP and there might not be a single team that hits 130/131 GP this season so I decided to try to get around 110-120 GP from my goalies as that should be good enough for about Top5 finish in W, SV. Optionally attempt to go for 130 GP if one of Gibson, Talbot or Bobrovsky is available around R9/R10.

1. 10 Steven Stamkos TB LW,RW

I did consider Eichel too, but decided to go for Stamkos as he takes decent amount of faceoffs for a winger and any bonus there is just nice to have in the bank and

2. 17 Evgeni Malkin Pit C

Originally I was thinking maybe I could get B.Tkachuk here if I am very lucky, but wasn't even that close. That left me to choose between Malkin, Zibanejad, M.Tkachuk and Binnington. It was close, but in the end decided to go for high scoring forward as making up stats like HIT, SOG is easier later in the draft.

3. 36 Robin Lehner VGK G

I was really hoping to get Hamilton #1D on my list or Pastrnak here, but of course both went just before my picks in addition with M.Tkachuk and Zibanejad. I did consider E.Kane, but thought he just might drop another round so decided to go for a goalie and opted to go for Lehner.

4. 43 Mitchell Marner Tor RW

I had few options here I was considering: Marner, Barkov, Bergeron or possibly Kuemper/Shesterkin/Grubauer if I wanted second goalie. This was pretty close decision, but opted to wait for the goalies as there were still some decent options and take Marner, but it was close.

5. 62 Juuse Saros Nsh G

Lot of goalies went between my picks and felt I had to take Saros as I didn't want to have someone like Bobrovsky, Talbot or Gibson as my 2nd goalie. If I had opted for a skater, but I would have probably taken Larkin or Letang here.

6. 69 Kris Letang Pit D

I did consider RNH as well as he still takes some faceoffs even when playing winger, but thought he was more likely of the two to drop to the next round so took Letang her.

7. 88 Ryan Nugent Hopkins Edm C,LW

Pretty much all the goalies I might have considered in Talbot, Gibson, Bobrovsky, Khudobin went to so decided to be happy with 110 120 goalie GP and hopefully get Ullmark or Koskinen few rounds later, maybe M.Murray if I really have to. RNH was still here so happy to get him.

8. 95 Mark Giordano Cgy D

I did consider Kadri and Horvat as well, but opted to get D and picked up Giordano.

9. 114 Linus Ullmark Buf G

I did consider taking DeAngelo, but decent goalies were starting to get very thin so opted to get Ullmark. It was pretty much coinflip between him and Koskinen though.

10. 121 Tony DeAngelo NYR D

DeAngelo is still here so picked him up.

11. 140 William Nylander Tor LW,RW

I had Cirelli, Nylander and DeBrincat pretty evenly rated. It was close decision, but opted for Nylander as he should bring little bit extra FOW from the wing.

12. 147 Anthony Cirelli TB C

DeBrincat went one pick earlier so fairly easy decision to go with Cirelli and I only had 1 C on team as well.

13. 166 Logan Couture SJ C

I was hoping for Bjorkstrand, Mantha or Pavelski, but all went few picks earlier. I was thinking about Dumba as well, but opted to go for Couture as decent centers can be really hard to get late in the draft with FOW as category.

14. 173 Bryan Rust Pit LW,RW

There were few other options like Ellis, Suzuki, but decided to with Rust.

15. 192 Casey DeSmith Pit G

Some of the platooners/backups started to get picked so decided to get DeSmith as I still think PIT is going to be really good team.

16. 199 Ryan Getzlaf Anh C

I was considering between Dvorak, Getzlaf, Hornqvist and Muzzin and preferred to fill the 4th C slot.

17. 218 Patric Hornqvist Fla RW

Hornqvist is till there out of the last rounds options so picked him up.

18. 225 Corey Crawford NJ G

Yes, I did draft a retired player, at least it was somewhat late in the draft. News came out few hours earlier and I didn't have time to check injury news before the draft and I never pay much if any attention to yahoo markers Crawford was listed as NA at the time of the draft so that's that.

19. 244 Frank Vatrano Fla LW,RW

Vatrano has produced solid multicat numbers, but was little buried in FLA depth chart. With Dadonov and Hoffman out I think there's good chance if him getting bigger role so I think there's some solid upside.

20. 251 Damon Severson NJ D

I was thinking about picking up Borowiecki, but opted for a more scoring oriented option in Severson.

21. 270 Kaapo Kahkonen Min G
    22 277 Rasmus Andersson Cgy D
    23 296 MacKenzie Weegar Fla D
    24 303 Cody Glass VGK C,RW
    25 322 Jared McCann Pit C,LW
    26 329 Gabriel Vilardi LA C
    27 348 Scott Mayfield NYI D

Some late round upside flyers, backup goalie with some upside so nothing special and many of these could end up as a waiver fodder pretty soon.
    Relatively happy with the draft outside Crawford pick with a fairly balanced roster although goaltending starts might be hard to get as I didn't get two goalies from any team.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Stud

The last two years I have focused on high scoring C with a lot of FOW early on and have not done well, especially in HITS and PIMs and have always waited too long on goalies. This year I decided to focus on wingers who shoot and hit more and grab C where I think I can. Also, drafting 12th I know I need to take a goalie with my second pick or else I am in trouble. I will also admit I did very little to prepare other than to write down a bunch of C I would target throughout the draft.

Round 1 Guentzel. I thought about Eichel but decided to stick to the plan. I also debated Svech here but am okay with my pick. Eichel and Svech were taken with the next two picks. Like the goal scoring upside on a strong team combined with the HITS.

Round 2 (14) – F. Andersen. Helleybuck and Vas were gone so I went with the Dobber rankings and took Andersen. As I was born and bred in TO I also like the idea of cheering/screaming at the home town team this year.

Round 3 – Tom Wilson. Both B. Tkachuk and E. Kane were gone and I was determined to get one of these three.

Round 4 – Tavares. Satisfied my need for a goal scoring C with good FOW. I am a little concerned to hear he is not practicing with the top PP but hope that is a temporary thing. Also, another Leaf to cheer for/yell at.

Round 5 – Couturier. Philly is gonna be good this year and I did not like any of D or G options on the board so went with another C. Had Scheifle on my list here but he was taken earlier in the round.

Round 6 – Makar. Extremely happy with this pick. Not great in HITS or BLOCKS but not terrible either for a high scoring D and I think he will be lights out offensively this year.

At this point I have 2 C, 1 dual eligible LW/RW, 1 RW, 1 D and 1 G. I also have some of that grit I have been missing in previous years so am pretty happy so far.

Round 7 – Monahan. Might have been early for another pure C but I think Calgary bounces back a bit. My lack of prep is beginning to catch up with me.

Round 8 – Varlamov. Goalies going quick and I am hopeful he will get around 50% of the starts. I don’t love the division the Isles are in but Trotz is a magician and has been known to make the best of a challenging situation.

Round 9 – Konecny. Again, love me some Philly and was looking for D or a winger here.

Round 10 – Petry. Very happy with this pick. Covers a lot of categories.

Round 11 – Trocheck. Had him circled on the scrap of paper that constituted my research as he covers a lot of cats. Also helps me close out my C although now I need to think about FOW from the wing.

Round 12 – Georgiev. Goalie pickings are getting slimmer and think he will do okay this year. Really just trying to up my games played in net with guys from decent teams from here on out.

Round 13 – Rittich. See previous pick.

Round 14 – Boone Jenner. HITS, good BLOCKS for a forward, SOG and some nice FOWs from the wing. Happy with this.

Round 15 – Dadonov. I still see some good depth at D on the board so decide to fill out the wings with some decent offensive talent. I was eyeing Reinhart but he went a few picks earlier.

Round 16 – Olofsson. Happy to find some potential goals this late in the draft. A lot will hinge on whether he sees time on PP1. I figured if I couldn’t get Reinhart I would gamble of the Olofsson.

Round 17 – Grzelcyk. Need some D and saw that the Dobber Guide had him pegged for PP1 in Boston. Good enough for me and willing to take some flyers at this point in the draft.

Round 18 – McElhinney. Not likely to get a ton of starts but the ones he gets could be good and it moves the needle of goalie games played a bit. I now have five goalies. Don’t think I will make 130 games played as there will be scheduling conflicts but I feel like I have a decent core in net. Time to round out the skaters.

Round 19 – Labanc. Think he has something to prove this year and he should see a lot of ice time and PP1 time. Not bad for this late in the draft.

Round 20 – Tarasenko. I am thrilled with this pick. He will miss quite a bit of time but could be a real edge in SOG and Goals late in the season and he is pretty reliable for HITS for a goal scorer. I think he will also have something to prove.

Round 21 – Duncan Keith. I was eyeing Kessel for his SOG if nothing else but he was taken earlier in the round. I do not love this pick but as I was going to pick again three slots later I figured I could lock in Boqvist and ensure I get the Chicago PP1 QB.

Round 22 – Boqvist. See rounds 17 and 21.

Round 23 – Duclair. Very happy with this pick. PP1 and so goal scoring potential this late in the draft is a solid bargain.

Round 24 – de Haan. This was a whiff. I was looking for BLOCKS and decent HITS from a D man and forgot he is also on CHI, which is one of the teams you do not want three D-men from. Look for him on the wire shortly.

Round 25 – JVR. I am not expecting any kind of resurgence but decent SOG, goals and a few PP to boot which is all you can hope for this late in the draft.

Round 26 – Vatanen. Likely waiver fodder but looking for any D with some PP time. Okay peripherals so time will tell how long he is on the roster.

Round 27 – C. Smith. Hoping he sees some PP1 time until Pastrnak is back. Pure gamble but that is what the last few rounds are for.

Overall, pretty happy with this team. Don’t see a podium finish this year but think it is a top half team if I get some help from my goalies and stay on top of things through the wire to fill in gaps. I am light on PIM and FOW wins.

Final roster:

C: Tavares, Couturier, Monahan, Trochek
    LW: Guentzel, Jenner, Dadonov, Olofsson
    RW: Wilson, Konecny, Labanc, Duclair
    D: Makar, Petry, Grzelcyk, Keith, Boqvist, de Haan
    G: F. Andersen, Varly, Georgiev, Rittich, McE.
    BN: JVR, C. Smith, Vatanen
    IR+: Tarasenko

Currently have one open roster spot for streaming.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Evander Kane - I remember thinking during the playoffs last year and how upset he was at the NHL being reactionary and not proactive... that I should avoid him in drafts.... well I forgot... and now its coming back to bite me.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yeah, that could be some bad luck.
    I assume we'll know more at 5pm, whether the Sharks list him on their opening night roster.

Those dummies chose to give Kane the money... and not Pavelski.
    I hope they flounder in NHL pergatory (not getting a top 5 pick, and continuing to miss playoffs).

Dobber Sports Master

3rd round pick. That is pretty rough.

Dobber Sports Icon

You know you’re off to a rough start when you pick up 21 points in the standings last night and are still in last place by double digits. Ooofff!

Hopefully with Dallas finally playing, Incan start making up some ground.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    You know you’re off to a rough start when you pick up 21 points in the standings last night and are still in last place by double digits. Ooofff!

Hopefully with Dallas finally playing, Incan start making up some ground.
    Yep and you're moving up the standings!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Yep and you're moving up the standings!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Trade:

Malcolm Subban Chi - G
    Traded to The s-Purge (YzermansLegacy)

Andrew Shaw Chi - C,RW
    Traded to The Devil's Rejects (Shoeless)

The Wolverine

Updated the first post with everyone's team names (draft order list) so that it's easier to identify name to user.

The Great One

Thanks for reminding me to post trades!! We've had a couple in the Pro Campbell...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Trade:

Malcolm Subban Chi - G
    Traded to The s-Purge (YzermansLegacy)

Andrew Shaw Chi - C,RW
    Traded to The Devil's Rejects (Shoeless)

Shoeless ditching the goalie stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    We’ve all considered it but I assumed something like this wouldn’t happen, doesn’t seem right to me.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    We’ve all considered it but I assumed something like this wouldn’t happen, doesn’t seem right to me.
    I can't imagine dumping 2 of the 14 categories (Wins & Saves) is a winning strategy, but unless we have a minimum goalie GP or specifically agreed to not do this, it's a strategy.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket