6 Lil Propp of Horrors Atomic Wedgy 104.5
    7 Amacknophobia 4T2 99
    8 The Babatuukk horrorfan 94
    9 Dig Two Graves PenguinHunter 87.5
    10 The Kings in Yellow LordoftheRinks 82.5
    11 The Squad Chili Con Carne 75
    12 The Connorjuring dooley89 71
    12 Cult of Tkachuky The Comish 71

Great season for all the contenders but especially for temek as he started off slowly but gradually climbed the table to peak at the right time. Well played.

Thanks everyone and enjoy the playoffs!

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 2020/21 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Congrats temek on your record third RHRS title! Well deserved!

Shoeless and Maaa had amazing runs all season staying near the top of the league.

Pengwin7 and YzermansLegacy both deserve major props for their late season pushes too which knocked me back out of the top half of the league. Great runs down the stretch fellas!

Great season all around guys in what could have been a very off year. Looking forward to the 21/22 season all ready!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Here's my recap on a mediocre performance this season.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Having the 13th pick, I knew it would be a challenge drafting at the end of the first and having back-to-back picks throughout the draft. Especially, as I knew there would be times where I had to decide whether to reach for 'my guy' or take a chance at losing them. Also, I had wondered what the short season (and increased max games) would do to goalie drafting amongst the group.

My general strategy was to focus on offense for my first picks and then probably grab a goalie at the 3/4 turn, as I expected the top guys to be gone or soon thereafter, and wasn't sure waiting for the 5/6 turn would be smart.

Without further ado:

Round 1/2: Eichel / Svechnikov
    I was not expecting Eichel to fall here so I didn't hesitate taking him first. Svechnikov was on my short list of players to target and decided on his solid, all around production. Eichel was a bust. Svechnikov was ok but didn't progress offensively like I had hoped.

Round 3/4: Burns / Rask
    If I didn't have a centre already I would have considered one here, but Burns still is one of the best fantasy-wise at his position, especially with strong shots and solid hits and blocks. The goalies were coming off the board so I knew I needed one and Rask was the best available on my list. Knowing he might get rested a fair bit, I had to try and get Halak later. Looking back Burns felt like a reach as I needed a bounce back to justify this price. Rask was solid most of the season when he played.

Round 5/6: Lindholm / Larkin
    Knowing this league, wingers who take faceoffs are targeted and Lindholm fits in, with decent hits total as well. Not sure if Larkin would've lasted until my next picks but aside from his +/-, he provides both strong SOG and FOW with a good chance at a bounce back season offensively. Lindholm was my best offensive player this season - that sums up my team. He did what I was hoping for and more. Larkin was a bust.

Round 7/8: Korpisalo / Halak
    I had my eye on the Columbus duo but Elvis was grabbed a few picks before me. Korpisalo could start with the role but we'll see how the early season goes. As I wasn't sure if he would be the starter, I wanted to ensure I got my Rask handcuff, even if Halak at this point might be a bit early. Eesh this didn't go well. Korpisalo was poor, while Halak was ok.

Round 9/10: Jones / Doughty
    With only one D, I wanted to make sure I didn't get stuck with guys who either were too one dimensional or didn't have enough PP time. I'm happy with getting both who can provide solid offense and peripherals. Jones didn't have the offensive production as I was hoping. Doughty was a pleasant surprise, at least in the first half.

Round 11/12: Rinne / Kreider
    With only one clear starting goalie on my team, I needed another one who could get a decent workload. Rinne struggled last year but hopefully he'll bounce back a bit with some quality starts, when I can fit him into my starting lineup. I hadn't picked a winger since round 5 and Kreider gives decent offense with good peripherals, including some PIM.Rinne didn't factor in much and wasn't consistent. Kreider was ok, pretty much did what I expected.

Round 13/14: Dumba / Hischier
    Didn't plan on getting my 4th D by round 13, but Dumba at this stage, with the aforementioned offense and peripherals, was too good to pass up. Pure centres are not plentiful and hope that Hischier can take the next step this season. I know he's hurt but hopefully not for long.Dumba, like Jones, I was hoping for more offense. Hischier unfortunate with injuries.

Round 15/16: Suzuki / Henrique
    Did I mention the league targets wingers who takes faceoffs? We'll see if Suzuki takes the next step or just has a modest offensive season, but at least he also chips in with a few hits. Henrique might have been a bit early but he's a decent contributor across several categories.Suzuki was great, one of my few bright spots. Henrique stunk, then got waived, then came back with some solid production, then fell off again.

Round 17/18: Yamamoto / E. Staal
    Honestly I have no idea whose line Yamamoto is playing on but if he can give me some offense (not expecting anything close to last year's pace) and continue to hit a lot then I'll be happy. Wasn't planning on having two Buffalo centres but not many pure centres left so hopefully Staal will fit into his new home well and provide modest production for my C4.Yamamoto couldn't reproduce last year's success. Staal had very little to offer.

Round 19/20: Driedger / Niederreiter
    Another goalie for depth, and if Bob struggles again then I might have another starter. Niederreiter on a good team and potentially could land on a solid top-6 line. If he can get around a point every two games with some more hits, then it works for me. Any more and it's a bonus. I'll take it in round 20.Dreidger was solid when he played. Neiderreiter was a bit inconsistent early on but good value production in the end.

Round 21/22: Ekholm / Beauvillier
    Depth picks. Ekholm as my D5 who is a decent, back end starter in both offense and some peripherals. Maybe this is the season that Beauvillier will break out, but if not he's a decent L4.Ekholm, was fine but didn't move the needle much. Beauvillier took awhile to get going with injuries not helping.

Round 23/24: Gudas / Lemieux
    Grit, grit and more grit. Meh, Gudas was fine. Lemieux didn't last long.

Round 25/26: Kakko / Marino
    Low risk, potential high reward if Kakko can bounce back in his second year. Marino is a depth piece - not sure what to expect now that Matheson is there but gives some peripherals on my bench.Yeah that didn't work out.

Round 27: Faksa
    It was 3:30 in the morning my time and I didn't really care who I picked. Depth centre, that's all.Didn't last long on my squad.

The Babatuukk
    C: Eichel, Larkin, Hischier, E. Staal, Faksa
    L: Svechnikov (R), Kreider, Henrique (C), Beauvillier, Lemieux
    R: E. Lindholm (C), Suzuki (C), Yamamoto, Niederreiter (L), Kakko
    D: Burns, Jones, Doughty, Dumba, Ekholm, Gudas, Marino
    G: Rask, Korpisalo, Halak, Rinne, Driedger
    Overall, this season could be summed up in one word: meh.

Had some nice surprise additions at times: Copp, Roslovic and Robertson stand out. But I just didn't have many big game performances, which led to a poor offensive season.

Oh well, onto next year!

Dobber Sports Master

send me a pm if theres openings next season .

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Happy to keep you in mind, but I wouldn't expect it as we've had the same group for a few years now. Plus with 13 managers, even if one couldn't return we'd likely be keeping it at 12.

Dobber Sports Stud

Always like to revisit my season, especially in this league, and get a sense of where things went well and where they didn't.

Stick tap to Temek for a dominant finish to the year, and to the other GMs for once again making this the most challenging one-year pool out there. To give you a sense of the level of activity in this league - the waiver wire add leader was Temek with 304 moves. The league average was 140. The NHL season was around 115 days. So basically, on average each GM was making at least 1 move Every. Single. Day.

Hats off to Horror Fan as well - with the debacle that was Yahoo Hockey this year (couldn't reduce GP to 56 in the beginning, couldn't extend and then could extend the season), HF was basically the ideal commish keeping us all aware of things and getting our feedback early to ensure we were all on a level playing field. Yeoman's work this year and I know how much the entire league really appreciated it.

YL/The S-purge season recap

Pre-Season Draft Strategy: B
    I think my strategy was actually quite strong this year, although the execution obviously didn't go quite according to plan. Prioritizing points, then mid-tier goalies (a lot of them to hit the GPs threshold), then mid-to-low-end D to fill things out.
    I had a couple of guys have career low A2's, but if they produced even career average numbers, I'd have been in the top of assists/points (and was 2nd in goals).
    Wound up taking saves and being in the top half of wins - but that was balanced against lower GAA & SV%.

Draft: C+
    Coming out of the draft I was really pleased with my top 20 of the 25 round draft - so I had big expectations for the year.
    The only huge miss was on P.Laine in Rd 3 - but I'm not sure anyone really saw that crater coming.
    Bit unlucky with both Teravainen (injuries) and Hoffman (deployment) not delivering but did like the value I got on them originally.
    Also had small misses on 2 goalies in Dubnyk and Quick. Guessed wrong that DD would take over the SJ net and Quick was a mistake since there were other goalies I should have drafted at that slot instead.

Trades: D
    This is where the season wasn't optimized and part of the reason my draft grade had to be a bit lower.
    I'm a big believer that one can't usually win a competitive league (especially this one) without making some in-season adjustments. You might get lucky enough with wire pickups, but in a roto format, you're looking to max margins across all cats (or as many as possible), rather than crushing a particular one. That usually means trading off your sniper for an elite banger or vice versa.
    I had built up a strong stock of G's early in the season with the intention of being able to trade them for skater upgrades. Despite trying like mad to do so, I had to settle for really marginal upgrades with a G as a sweetener, rather than being able to max out their value. Part of this was the pressure that building from being so far behind in GPs for my skaters. In a regular season, I'd have waited a bit longer to try to optimize that value.
    I also wasn't successful moving out the (very) few guys who got off to strong starts for me (Bjorkstrand, K.Hayes) - which is typically something I look to do.

Waiver Wire/Adds: C
    Usually I get a bit lucky and find the odd gem at some point during the year - but this year there just weren't any homerun waiver adds for me.
    I also seemed to get especially UN-lucky streaming PIMs this year, often streaming a guy one or two games before his blowup.

Final Takeaways:
    Knowing that we were in for an odd year I was pretty chill about however this season went. I liked the strategy I used to compensate for a 65gp per slot but just didn't optimize things anywhere. With a bit more optimization (and some of that comes down to luck), felt like I could have had a podium finish this year... which is what I aim for in this league.

A 5th-place finish when bombing my 3rd round pick (Laine) and not getting value on my 8th/9th picks (Teravainen, Hoffman) says to me that the strategy was sound and the in-season management was ok - so nothing egregious I need to 'fix' for next year, but obviously a few tweaks (will need to dive deeper into a new trading strategy) and an updated draft strategy for a full 82gp sched will be warranted.

Once again, just the most enjoyable and challenging 1-year pool I get to be a part of and the barometer I use annually to make sure my fantasy game is up to snuff!

Enjoy the summer lads!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Titan

Pretty sure I've been on the wait list the last few years
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Overall, this season could be summed up in one word: meh.
    Sometimes you draft a completely reasonable group of players only to have them all underperform. I drafted a baseball team years ago that I thought was going to have first place clinched a month in and my top five players all had career worst years.

I am curious how many big performances you need to win. I feel like my good teams hit on two or three picks in the top six rounds and get top 25 results from a couple of tenth round plus guys. So, like four top 25 players. I have no idea if that’s true.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Temek is sneaky like that. Sometimes he’s in first for good at the end of the first week but often he sits in 8th until the second half and then he just makes a move. He tends to trust his draft as well while others are making moves.

Edit: Of course I see that he led the league in moves. I’m assuming the 65 GP had something to do with that. Temek also plays the game in front of him well. He adjusts to the settings.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    This is true. I also checked to remind me that another person had enquired a few years back. I need to make sure my spreadsheet is updated.

Dobber Sports Stud

Funny enough - P7 was actually wondering if somehow you (EB) and I (YL) were the 'same' person due to the similarities in draft boards/drafting particular players (I think C.Stephenson was the one guy in particular this year). Speaks to how much I value your perspective I suppose!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Funny enough - P7 was actually wondering if somehow you (EB) and I (YL) were the 'same' person due to the similarities in draft boards/drafting particular players (I think C.Stephenson was the one guy in particular this year). Speaks to how much I value your perspective I suppose!
    Haha, that's pretty funny. Great minds I guess!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

I think this is year 5 with no turnover... which just seems crazy. I remember inviting EB to join when we had an opening years ago (that PenguinHunter ended up filling admirably).

For a league that is essentially a bunch of internet strangers, this has truly evolved into something special. I’m honored to be a part of it for the last 10 years.

Thanks again guys for making it such an awesome group. Next year I’m finally getting my first RHRS title... write that down

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I think this is year 5 with no turnover... which just seems crazy. I remember inviting EB to join when we had an opening years ago (that PenguinHunter ended up filling admirably).

For a league that is essentially a bunch of internet strangers, this has truly evolved into something special. I’m honored to be a part of it for the last 10 years.

Thanks again guys for making it such an awesome group. Next year I’m finally getting my first RHRS title... write that down
    Yes, horrorfan has created something special here!

And Congrats temek! amazing finish to the season!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​