Thread: Deep Keeper League Goalie Decision - Keep Crawford or Dubnyk?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Deep Keeper League Goalie Decision - Keep Crawford or Dubnyk?

Our league settings heavily favour goalies so a few years ago we decided to limit goalie keepers to 2 (out of 4 NHL roster spots). My first goalie is Shesterkin so he's a no brainer but I'm torn between my other options of Dubnyk and Crawford. My long time starters are both aging, on new teams that struggled last year, and in time share situations.

I think Crawford is the better goalie but his battle with Blackwood for starts and the fact that NJ is in the toughest division will make wins hard to come by. But, I also think there's a good chance he gets traded to a contender mid-season. Wouldn't he be perfect for the Avs?

As for Dubnyk and the Sharks, I have no idea what to expect. I'm not worried about Martin Jones, and if anything, I think he'll push Dubnyk to be better but Devan might just be washed. Add in the fact that the Sharks just feel like they'll be all boom or all bust and I just have no idea.

If I wasn't in win now mode with aging top end keepers like Crosby, Marchand, and Hedman I'd probably cut both and take my chances in the draft. But unfortunately my first pick isn't until the fourth round (16 teams, 25 man rosters, keep 12) and goalies are expected to go early and often this year with the weird schedule. This league depends on goalies too much to not have a second option that's at least guaranteed to have some starts to begin the season.

All that being said, who would you keep and why them over the other guy?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Deep Keeper League Goalie Decision - Keep Crawford or Dubnyk?

I would go with Dubnyk on hopes of a bounceback on a new team and in a pretty weak division.