Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General fantasy strategy for the upcoming unique NHL season

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: General fantasy strategy for the upcoming unique NHL season

Goalies are similar to pitchers in baseball. If you hit on a couple that stay healthy and over produce then you are golden.

This year is going to be incredibly chaotic though. There are fewer #1 goalies than ever and that's just going to lead to a bigger divide on how to treat goalies in the future.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd rather predict pitching, honestly. I'm decent at figuring out what goalies actually suck, and who is overrated, but there are so many more team-based factors than with pitchers. To be fair, I was spoiled when I first started my long-time dynasty hockey league. I wanted stable goaltending, so I got Hasek/Roy. That worked nearly as well as one would think.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Star

goalies were more predictable during the dead puck era. man brodeur was a great own, it was worth it to pay big back then.

I find these days the fail rate is too high even for the best goalies so its not worth spending high picks on them.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Agree that G used to be more predictable. Now I draft G for team defence instead of individual talent. Than again, I drafted Bob last year so I often screw that up as the timer ticks down on my picks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. Goalies are the difference for me this year.
    I think this will be the highest % GS share for back-ups in the modern history of hockey.
    Teams will not want to overwork anybody - spread out the workload.
    Any player could go down with COVID at any point... so everybody has to be fresh.

I expect back-ups to get 40% of starts this season. (1-2-1-1-2... repeat...)
    Normally, most teams have a 3/1 split, with their defacto starter getting 3, then the back-up gets 1.
    (Some teams go 4/1 or 5/1... others are 3/2.... it averages out to 3/1.)

Teams will still lean on one goalie come playoffs... but regular season... I expect a lot of starts for back-ups.
    So... I'm definitely, definitely, DEFINTELY, NOT overdrafting goalies in 1-season H2H.
    There should be plenty of back-ups on the wire.

Roto... different story... because GAA & SV% from every game is cumuluative and important.

Dobber Sports Stud

Anyone out there having their league switch to Team Goalies for this season? It’s an option within Fantrax that seems appealing for a year that’s going to be wonky...last minute sickness, lots of B2B’s, unknown media availability to get the word out on starters, etc.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

The Great One

I’m in one league where we did that, but we also drafted team D and F groups. It was inaugural draft for a Dynasty and the desire was to keep the draft manageable. It worked out fantastic. It’s a cap league. There has been a ton of player movement since the draft. I don’t know that anyone hung onto the tandems they drafted. I think otherwise you’re simplifying a problem that trying to get right is part of the fun of fantasy. I’m loving the shit show that is drafting goalies this year!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Monster

Alright, any more thoughts about strategy in this weird season?

A small but important thing to think about in terms of covid: while it might be easy to remember which teams have a covid lockdown (Washington, Carolina, etc), you must check who they are playing as well. Check which teams/players are collateral damage due to covid outbreaks. You might pick up a perfectly healthy player who isn't going to play because the team theyre playing has an outbreak. At the moment, most fantasy sites aren't noting that a healthy player's upcoming games are delayed due to the other team's outbreak.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Watching the first week play out and all the teams and players in COVID protocol I think diversification is more important than usual. Imagine if a manager had Ovi, Kuznetsov and Samsonov on their team.

Also my hypothesis is that players on Canadian teams might be a bit safer in terms of missing games due to Covid. Canada has fewer cases/capita than the US so why wouldn't that extend to hockey teams?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If possible own both goalies in a tandem to get both starts if b2b causes a goalie shift

Own goalies from different divisions that way you don't have goalies facing each other with only one win available
    Yahoo Fantasy League H2H 12 Team Six Keeper League
    El Volantes

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR+, NA

Stats:
    G,A,PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.

4 game minimum starts for goalies per week.

Centers - Couturier/Hayes(C)
    Left Wing - Tartar(LW,RW)/Laine(LW,RW)
    Right Wing – Stamkos(C,LW,RW)//E. Lindholm(C,RW)
    Utility Guy – J McCann (C,LW)
    D-Men -- Fox/Provorov/Slavin/Pulock
    Goalies - Hart/Nedeljkovic/Bobrovsky/Elliott/Halak

Bench –Cirelli(C,RW)/Hughes(LW,C)/Lehtonen (D)/Kubalik(LW/RW)

IR -- Raanta (G)

"The Dude Abides."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yeah - I can say now that I'm VERY happy that I drafted Kahkonen to a Talbot team, and Vanecek to a Samsonov team.
    Losing starts at this point in the year is devastating. Tandem-ing goalies is the only way to avoid this.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Yeah - I can say now that I'm VERY happy that I drafted Kahkonen to a Talbot team, and Vanecek to a Samsonov team.
    Losing starts at this point in the year is devastating. Tandem-ing goalies is the only way to avoid this.
    Yep tandems of the same team are key. Getting multiple goalies of different tandems.... Not so much.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Tandems are so hard to get. Everyone in my one year league was taking whatever they could in the draft. In my league only 2 GMs got their tandem with Boston and Calgary. Every other tandem is split amongst GMs.

I ended up with Grubauer, Talbot, and Koskinen. Aside from having to be selective with Koskinen I think I got lucky. Leading my league in wins and saves due to having 3 starters (for now) while being competitive with GAA and SV%.

Even luckier is Kahkonen was drafted then dropped so I got him last night after Talbot got hurt.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Star

Diversifying makes more sense for h2h leagues as you wont get those games back. For roto or other league types with GP limits postponed games are ok since youll get them back later.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    Two ideas...

Consider spreading draft picks across different teams, so that any covid cancelled games sting less (eg. Not losing multiple players from one team)

Next, consider loading up on Canadian teams? Will their bubble be tighter and less likely to have canceled games?

Not sure how well I'll apply those ideas, but it's worth thinking about
    Patting myself on the back for this great idea, and kicking myself in the a$$ because I didn't listen to my own advice very well! What a season...