Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General fantasy strategy for the upcoming unique NHL season

Dobber Sports Monster

Default General fantasy strategy for the upcoming unique NHL season

What specific strategic changes do you plan on making this year to adjust to all of the uncertainty?

Here's a couple I've been thinking about:

-in h2h, not blowing your moves too early in the week. wait to see if there's a rescheduling that could force you to make a pickup. for example, you need a goalie to make your goalie starts minimum or just to stay competitive. ie its saturday afternoon and youve got 0 moves left because you felt you could load up for the weekend push, and are short a goalie start due to postponements

-not always possible but since we could have several b2bs against the same teams in weeks ahead, picking up goalies facing each other multiple times during the week. this could help you get a lot of guaranteed wins.

-not reading too much into the h2h playoff schedule months away. gonna focus just on the best team possible because schedules could change. thats why the nhl built in some wiggle room in case the season needs more time to finish.

any ideas?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: General fantasy strategy for the upcoming unique NHL season

I think top elite goalies that play a lot of games will prove to be more valuable. Someone like Vasilevskiy who is the clear-cut number one will be worth a higher draft pick as opposed to someone like Rask who may play only 55-60% of the games.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

When I first thought the season was going to be a regular 82-game schedule, I was not planning to compete and was going to enter into a one-year rebuild (basically, trade away veteran talent for younger players, only draft young players, acquire as many draft picks as possible, etc.).

Now that the season is going to be shorter, with perhaps a lot more unpredictability with the schedule, and perhaps a lot of players missing time at various points because of COVID, I've decided to go for it. Even though I don't think my current roster would be competitive for a "normal" season, I think anything is possible this year. So, my strategy has changed, and I'm going to draft players who will provide the most value "this season" and not worry so much about long-term value.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Two ideas...

Consider spreading draft picks across different teams, so that any covid cancelled games sting less (eg. Not losing multiple players from one team)

Next, consider loading up on Canadian teams? Will their bubble be tighter and less likely to have canceled games?

Not sure how well I'll apply those ideas, but it's worth thinking about

Administrator

I'm punting on goalies this year because I think it's gonna be a complete headache. I've contemplated quitting my annual one-year leagues because they refuse to make adjustments to address how wild/frustrating this year may be with goalies. To be fair, my solution "For this one year, why don't we just not have goalies?" is apparently such heresy that it's laughable. I dunno, I thought having one less thing to fret over in COVID life would be a value add.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm punting on goalies this year because I think it's gonna be a complete headache. I've contemplated quitting my annual one-year leagues because they refuse to make adjustments to address how wild/frustrating this year may be with goalies. To be fair, my solution "For this one year, why don't we just not have goalies?" is apparently such heresy that it's laughable. I dunno, I thought having one less thing to fret over in COVID life would be a value add.
    I have been beating the “you need tandems this year” drum all autumn. In daily start leagues (with goalie stats) I think you need to nail down a quality tandem earlier than normal in the draft. Better yet, if your league is really deep, securing the 3rd goalie in the system as well. Lock in one team’s goalie numbers to be extra safe.

To your thoughts of wanting to quit a league if they are not pivoting enough with COVID rule changes — please don’t. Just roll with the punches. Once (if?) the league starts up and hockey if being played, you may find that you need fantasy hockey in your life this season more than in years past. Maybe one of the other GMs needs you.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

You are onto something here, though. Even in my keeper league, I was going to try upgrading my goalies but decided against it because, quite frankly, I'm not really sure which goalies would be an upgrade in this crazy season, outside of the obvious answers of Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. More than ever before, goalies are a crap shoot so I'm not going to waste much energy (or assets) on them.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Star

I would be fine ditching goalies every year. It's just so random and the smallest shift of luck can make too big of a difference in my opinion. Going back to my first ever hockey pools (box pools through the local newspaper and things like that), there were NEVER any goalies. It's all about those goals and assists!

Dobber Sports Superstar

1. Make Sure to Have Fun
    I am approaching all aspects of sports and fantasy with this in mind. Yes I take fantasy hockey seriously (some say "too seriously") so I'm trying to remember I have had the chance to watch very little meaningful hockey recently, the world is facing a global pandemic. I still cannot see my best buddies for Fantasy Draft Day (one of my favourite days all year) but am going to make the best of it. When my team loses a week or two in a row because it gets wiped out I am going to try and remember this mantra.

2. Goalie Tandems Good.
    Typically in head-to-head I let goalies slide until later, I cannot decide if they should be taken earlier, or later, this year. I think I'm going to take them about the same but will be focusing on securing quality but lesser big name tandems. I like Carolina, NYI (who no one seems to be giving love), Arizona for peripherals (in a weak division) and even Minnesota.

3. Regarding Adjustments
    Just roll with it. The divergence between expectation and reality is what makes fantasy hockey fun. I think player will do this, he does that. If every player scored what he though, every goalie got the starts and stats we thought then there would be no excitement. I don't know what goalies will be like this year (see point 2) but trying to figure it out is the challenge. I don't want to remove that predicting aspect from fantasy hockey, I want to embrace it.

That's all I got. Have a draft coming up over zoom on December 30th, I've excited!!!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    1. Make Sure to Have Fun
    I am approaching all aspects of sports and fantasy with this in mind. Yes I take fantasy hockey seriously (some say "too seriously") so I'm trying to remember I have had the chance to watch very little meaningful hockey recently, the world is facing a global pandemic. I still cannot see my best buddies for Fantasy Draft Day (one of my favourite days all year) but am going to make the best of it. When my team loses a week or two in a row because it gets wiped out I am going to try and remember this mantra.

2. Goalie Tandems Good.
    Typically in head-to-head I let goalies slide until later, I cannot decide if they should be taken earlier, or later, this year. I think I'm going to take them about the same but will be focusing on securing quality but lesser big name tandems. I like Carolina, NYI (who no one seems to be giving love), Arizona for peripherals (in a weak division) and even Minnesota.

3. Regarding Adjustments
    Just roll with it. The divergence between expectation and reality is what makes fantasy hockey fun. I think player will do this, he does that. If every player scored what he though, every goalie got the starts and stats we thought then there would be no excitement. I don't know what goalies will be like this year (see point 2) but trying to figure it out is the challenge. I don't want to remove that predicting aspect from fantasy hockey, I want to embrace it.

That's all I got. Have a draft coming up over zoom on December 30th, I've excited!!!
    Kudos to this strategy. I’m basing my strategy on pure fun and something to do. In partial keeper leagues I’m looking to improve that group. The rest of the rosters will be on the trade block. Merry Christmas
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm not giving a shit this year. Our league fee is 1/4 the cost because the season is a gong show. I'm planning on missing the playoffs so I'll have a top 4 pick next year.

Dobber Sports Monster

Some really great advice in this thread! I still feel like I'm missing something...I few unsettled about my strategy this year. Oh well, I guess we just do our best in a bad situation.

I wonder if people are thinking of picking skaters on good teams in weak divisions more than ones in strong divisions. I am not sure though as strong divisions could bring out the best in some stars.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am thinking of going with the "old/boring/predictable" strategy. I think young players will not be given as much leash in a short season especially if teams are fighting to make the playoffs right from the bdginning.

Dobber Sports Monster

Wondering if anyone else has had thoughts as we get into draft season.

I am wondering if a move increase for h2h might make sense. But I am also fairly optimistic about how this year goes. The protocol the NHL has put in place should reduce the number of cases, or at least it wont be as bad as the NFL was. Also, despite the many cases in the NFL there weren't thaaat many games that were pushed back. Maybe 5% of the season.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Star

In regards to teammates/linemates, im actually going the opposite direction as id rather load up if deciding between a few similar players and hope they go on a hot run and not get covid during the season.

The last time there was a shortened season from the getgo was 2012-2013.

St.Louis/Stamkos were 1/2 in scoring.
    Crosby/Kunitz both in the top 10.
    Ovechkin/Backstrom/Ribeiro all in the top 15.
    Datsyuk/Zetterberg both in the top 15 also.
    Toews/Kane both in the top 15 also.

11 teammates/linemates in the top 16. (13th-16th were tied in points)

Going on a 20-game hot run means more when the season is 1/3 shorter as it is now. This probably means more for leagues where points are the main focus. If there are a bunch of peripherals then it isnt as applicable.

I also think going budget on goalies is the way to go. Dont reach for anyone, but if a good one in a weak division like Lehner or Grubauer falls into place then go for it as theyll still start more than half. Ideally get the tandem if its not cost prohibitive.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.