Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Dobber NHL Wins Pool

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: 2020-21 Dobber NHL Wins Pool

should be more interesting next season with 8 choices required per gm in the 4 man divisions

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    If anyone has any suggestions of Tiering for next year.

We will have to split into Tiers of 4. So obviously we can't just do the one up/one down that we have done the recent years.
    How about group winners in one tier, seconds in the next, etc. You can make adjustments for any odd numbers and turnover.

Edit: For example, if a team in tier 1 doesn't return, then the top scoring team in tier 2 (from the previous season's results) would move up tier 1. And so on... This would ensure that the most recently successful players are rewarded and playing each other. Others, like me, who has been in tier 1 but with poor results are placed in a more suitable tier.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    How about group winners in one tier, seconds in the next, etc. You can make adjustments for any odd numbers and turnover.

Edit: For example, if a team in tier 1 doesn't return, then the top scoring team in tier 2 (from the previous season's results) would move up tier 1. And so on... This would ensure that the most recently successful players are rewarded and playing each other. Others, like me, who has been in tier 1 but with poor results are placed in a more suitable tier.
    I had thought about something like this or using the overall standings and just placing in groups of 4.

I just wasn't sure how the 'prestige' of being in Tier 1 or Tier 2 and then being put in Tier 4 would be received.

Although majority of those in the higher Tiers are a result of the Vegas Golden Knights over-performing EVERYONE's expectations in Year one, which just so happened to be the year that we started the tiering system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    should be more interesting next season with 8 choices required per gm in the 4 man divisions
    Yes more risk will hopefully be taken during the draft. And the drafts will become less 'chalk'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Wolverine

I had thought about something like this or using the overall standings and just placing in groups of 4.

I just wasn't sure how the 'prestige' of being in Tier 1 or Tier 2 and then being put in Tier 4 would be received.

Although majority of those in the higher Tiers are a result of the Vegas Golden Knights over-performing EVERYONE's expectations in Year one, which just so happened to be the year that we started the tiering system.
    I don't think people will be that bothered, but if they are...well...that's their issue. We (myself included) will just have to earn our way back. Especially if you can easily move back into tier 1 after a year in tier 4 (using the group winners or overall standings system). Also, instead of calling them tiers, you/we can come up with some unique names to describe the groups. That could be funny, especially if the lowest tier is called the Losers or something insulting haha.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with horrofan, we all have to earn are way back in the end.....

I don't think people will be that bothered, but if they are...well...that's their issue. We (myself included) will just have to earn our way back. Especially if you can easily move back into tier 1 after a year in tier 4 (using the group winners or overall standings system). Also, instead of calling them tiers, you/we can come up with some unique names to describe the groups. That could be funny, especially if the lowest tier is called the Losers or something insulting haha.

Last Year's Losers or Last Year's Last Placers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

Last Year's "If You Aint First You're Last-ers"

Too wordy?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Preliminary Planning:

The Fantastic Four ( The Top 4 overall)

The Nobody Remembers (5-8)

The Podium Finishers (9-12)

The Malcolms (in the middle) (13-16)

Plead the 5th (17-20)

Last Year's Losers (21-24)

Leftovers (Newbies) (25 and newbies)

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Dammit so you mean I win Tier 2 only to end up back in tier 2 again?

As long as that doesn’t happen with my Dobber Pro league win I can suck it up I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Dammit so you mean I win Tier 2 only to end up back in tier 2 again?

As long as that doesn’t happen with my Dobber Pro league win I can suck it up I suppose.
    This was just a first suggestion.

IF we move every Tier winner up... then we have to move at minimum 4th and 5th place down from each tier.

Maybe the best solution is to eliminate the Tier System and implement a randomization ssystem where you get allocated into one of these great winner divisions:

Scotty Bowman

David Poile

Martin Brodeur

Montreal Canadiens

​​

The Wolverine

This was just a first suggestion.

IF we move every Tier winner up... then we have to move at minimum 4th and 5th place down from each tier.

Maybe the best solution is to eliminate the Tier System and implement a randomization ssystem where you get allocated into one of these great winner divisions:

Scotty Bowman

David Poile

Martin Brodeur

Montreal Canadiens
    Happy for complete randomisation as it's pretty much random each year anyway. Well, that's what I tell myself after each poor performance.

Happy for complete randomisation as it's pretty much random each year anyway. Well, that's what I tell myself after each poor performance.
    It is pretty random. We are a pretty conservative group in these parts and the variation from 'Tier 1' to 'Tier 2' to 'Tier 3' and so forth in the order of picks is very minimal.

​​

It is pretty random. We are a pretty conservative group in these parts and the variation from 'Tier 1' to 'Tier 2' to 'Tier 3' and so forth in the order of picks is very minimal.
    Show me anyone that drafted Carolina or Florida before Tampa- then they deserve to be in Tier 1.

Or anyone that drafted Detroit before Columbus.

​​

Dobber Sports Master

I'm cool with total randomization going into 21-22 even though I won tier 3 and consider using some type of promotion/demotion system moving forward in 22-23 .

Al Arbour for consideration of a Tier name lol

2021-22 NHL Wins Analysis.pdf

This is the spreadsheet with the picks from all groups and averages.

Some takeaways:

1) Edmonton Average 6.83. Drafted 1, 2, 8, 8, 10, 12 across the divisions

2) Washington Average 12.33 Drafted 17 in Orr Division

3) Philadelphia Average 17.67 Drafted 13 in Orr Division, Drafted 23 in Bure Division

4) Seattle Average 20.5. Drafted with either the 19th pick or the 21st pick in every draft except Gretzky (24th)

5) Arizona Average 30.5 Drafted 27 in Orr Division.

6) Buffalo selected last in every division except Richard Division (Arizona)