Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Dobber Sports Stud

Default 2021 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

EDIT - LINK TO THIS YEAR'S POOL FILE:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tyH5BHA9aKeXgsnCbZc-bep7S_KGYMNMlqEuGayD7EU/edit?usp=sharing

Well, this has been a year and a half fitting of the unlucky 13th edition of the pool. At least we close out 2020 with some semblance of normalcy - and hockey for the first time in months!

But man, this year looks like it's a lot more loaded with talent (fitting of a loaded 2020 draft). Hard to leave some captain names off the list, but based on previous year trends it was the call to make. I had another 2 names that I kept shuffling between, and considered expanding to 7 or 8, but I'll stick with 6 until I have data to back up a different call.

Note that some teams aren't final (as usual) but the link I used was here: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/...juniors-ticket

Deadline is approximately 5 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes hours from this posting.

HALL OF FAME:2007/08: miked (out of 9 entries)
    2008/09: ultrawhiteness (out of 28 entries)
    2009/10: watchingthegame (out of 28 entries)
    2010/11: metaldude26 (out of 20 entries)
    2011/12: vandalay (out of 29 entries)
    2012/13: dodospice (out of 49 entries)
    2013/14: CaptainCally (out of 21 entries)
    2014/15: watchingthegame (out of 34 entries - two time champ)
    2015/16: Crazy Joe Davola (out of 37 entries)
    2016/17: vandalay (out of 34 entries) - 2 time champ)
    2017/18: markyj (out of 31 entries)
    2018/19: axeman33 (out of 38 entries)
    2019/20: crimsonyann (out of 44 entries)
    Credit to user 'reeveta' who started the pool and was running this for the first 9 years, who I started helping in 2010/11 with stat tracking. I took over completely in 2016/17.

Changes to the rules copy-paste are in bold.
    Same format as last year.

SCORING:
    Points only for skaters
    Goalies Wins = 2, OTL = 1, SO = +2
    The only points that count are those in games that lead to a medal (round robin and playoffs). This does include the bronze medal game. Relegation round or 5th-6th seeding games are NOT included.

In case of a tie in points, the winner will be decided via shootout - which is to say, the highest amount of goals. Most points in the gold-medal game may be used as the second tie-breaker if necessary.

ROSTER
    12 forwards, 6 d-men, 2 goalies + 2 captains (total 22 players)
    Only 5 players from any one nation (including all positions and captain) so you can?t load up on one or two nations.
    Captains are in to try and drive some variety. I used the forums' collective judgement in figuring out who some of the top picks will be. Does a good job to help diversify picks across different teams. It's always tough.

Captain options for this year's pool are:

FORWARD
    Dylan COZENS (CAN)
    Kirby DACH (CAN)
    Cole CAUFIELD (USA)
    Trevor ZAGRAS (USA)

Lucas RAYMOND (SWE)
    Vasili PODKILZIN (RUS)

DEFENSE (this worked well last year and based on prior year analysis is a good idea to keep going)
    Bowen BYRAM (CAN)
    Ville HEINOLA (FIN)
    Shakir MUKHAMADULLIN (RUS)
    Victor SODERSTROM (SWE)
    Cam YORK (USA)

PRIZE
    Respect and bragging rights.

HOW TO ENTER
    In the attached .zip file in which I have put a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. From here you can use the pull-down menus to pick you team. The spreadsheet counts the number of players from each nation. Once you have selected your 22 players save the excel file with your username and email it to me. My email is rochce at yahoo dot com. Please put '2021 World Junior Pool' in the title so it will be easy to spot in case your email gets caught as spam.

You can also use the link provided at the bottom to the Google Sheets version of the file. You can make your changes, download the file as an Excel and send that over instead.

If you don't have Microsoft Excel your other option is to email me with the names (first name and last name) of you entry in a list. The names must be spelled exactly as found on the roster from the IIHF website ( https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm20 ) website. This makes it possible for me to cut and paste into excel. Be sure to count the number of players you have from each nation.
    If you don't have email and want to PM me please also make sure the full name is spelled correctly. Names I don't understand may be mistaken for depth players on Team Denmark (Who haven't qualified this year!).

The deadline is before the drop of the puck for the first game (Which is NOON MDT / 2 PM Eastern US Time on December 25th 2020)

CHANGES
    Every year a few people wanted to change their entries after they made them but before the deadline. This is not a big deal but it is something I would like to minimize because it opens it up for me to make a mistake. The best plan is to wait until closer to the start of the tournament to make your entry. However, if you want to change it I will accept it up until the deadline.

NOTES AND DISCLAIMER
    I have done the best I can to get the up-to-date rosters but these rosters are pre-cuts for some teams and there may be errors. I take no responsibility for you picking players that don't play, or great players not being listed, although I will try to update when possible.

If player is not on the pull down list but should be, add him in the 'write in' section. There shouldn't be many but if there are I am sorry. Every year a few people put a write-in candidate that is one of the captain choices. Be sure to look there first.

I am posting this December 19th at 7:05 pm eastern time so it couldn't hurt to check back in a day or two in case someone finds a mistake. Updates will be posted here.

SPREAD THE WORD
    Please feel free to spread the word around the forums about this free challenge.
    Here's the google sheets version - complete it, save a copy, then e-mail it to me.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

ZIP containing the Excel sheet itself, if you prefer that.
    2021_WJC_Entry Form.zip

Same e-mail as usual. It's listed under 'How to enter'.

Good luck!

Administrator

Default Re: 2021 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Welp, already spent a handful of minutes putting together a preliminary roster. Anyone placing bets on how many times I tweak it? Over 26.5 Times is a -130 favourite.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

Cant wait to fill out my losing lineup

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Well, this has been a year and a half fitting of the unlucky 13th edition of the pool. At least we close out 2020 with some semblance of normalcy - and hockey for the first time in months!

But man, this year looks like it's a lot more loaded with talent (fitting of a loaded 2020 draft). Hard to leave some captain names off the list, but based on previous year trends it was the call to make. I had another 2 names that I kept shuffling between, and considered expanding to 7 or 8, but I'll stick with 6 until I have data to back up a different call.

Note that some teams aren't final (as usual) but the link I used was here: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/...juniors-ticket

Deadline is approximately 5 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes hours from this posting.

Credit to user 'reeveta' who started the pool and was running this for the first 9 years, who I started helping in 2010/11 with stat tracking. I took over completely in 2016/17.

Changes to the rules copy-paste are in bold.
    Same format as last year.

Here's the google sheets version - complete it, save a copy, then e-mail it to me.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

ZIP containing the Excel sheet itself, if you prefer that.
    2021_WJC_Entry Form.zip

Same e-mail as usual. It's listed under 'How to enter'.

Good luck!
    Just took a look at the roster in your sig. Blast from the past! That Kabanov farm team pick didnt turn out so good eh...hahah

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

First game is on Christmas, not Boxing Day
    So the deadline would actually be the 25th at 2pm EST.

I have my initial roster set. Betting is open and saying that I'll edit it 25.5 times less than Metaldude.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    First game is on Christmas, not Boxing Day

I have my initial roster set. Betting is open and saying that I'll edit it 25.5 times less than Metaldude.
    Well, that's new! I didn't even check that, just assumed XD
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Just took a look at the roster in your sig. Blast from the past! That Kabanov farm team pick didnt turn out so good eh...hahah
    Oh man that roster is ooooold. You can tell I don't come here much these days... really only for the WJC pool.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Looking forward to it. Gotta change my goaltending luck
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Oh man that roster is ooooold. You can tell I don't come here much these days... really only for the WJC pool.
    are the players in big letters your keepers? Bonino over Backstrom and Kessel? Come on man! LOL

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Whoo hoo!!!!!!

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Looking forward to defending my title!

Indeed the tourney starts Christmas day, and we’ll have less prep games to help us make our picks this year. I think we should expect the unexpected.
    12-team Dynasty Salary
    G-A-H-B/W-SO
    Crosby, Giroux, Pavelski, Hagel, Tarasenko, Terry, Bjorkstrand, Joshua, Cotter, Drury, Holtz, Kasper, Dorofeyev, Rosén, Brindley
    Dunn, Sergachev, Nurse, Trouba, Girard, Harley, Korczak, Söderström, Luneau, Pickering, Behrens, Rinzel
    Bobrovsky, Woll, Patera, Garand

10-team Dynasty Roto
    G-A-FOW-STP-H-B/W-GAA-Sv%
    Matthews, Hyman, Bratt, Guentzel, Thompson, Horvat, Lindholm, Buchnevich, Toffoli, Konecny, Rust, Laine, Peterka, Neighbours, Kemell, Snuggerud, Bourque, Wood, Öhgren
    Makar, Josi, Dobson, Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Faber, Spence, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Willander, Bonk, Casey
    Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Georgiev,
    Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    are the players in big letters your keepers? Bonino over Backstrom and Kessel? Come on man! LOL
    Probably new additions to the team I didn't bother formatting to be honest, since this was a dynasty. I'm a Leafs fan and a Backstrom fanboy so that would have been a crime or two!
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonYann View Post
    Looking forward to defending my title!

Indeed the tourney starts Christmas day, and we’ll have less prep games to help us make our picks this year. I think we should expect the unexpected.
    On the flip side, thanks to the quarantine, we got earlier official final rosters, so more time for preview articles, line combos to be practised, and time to research.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

looking forward to completing my initial roster a little later today!

The Wolverine

Thanks for doing this again, Nights.

Could you change the start date on your original post in case others don't see the update in the thread?