Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: COVID-19 Took a Toll on Mental Health of the Athletes

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: COVID-19 Took a Toll on Mental Health of the Athletes

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I think the mistake you're seemingly making is blaming ALL of it on these Nazi Swine, as you call them (I'm not disagreeing with you on those terms for what it's worth). Regardless of how governments around the world have handled the pandemic, people have suffered. This isn't merely a problem of broken American politics.
    We are the only country that is the home of a massive cult (Nazi Treason Pigs) that refuses to wear masks because they think it makes them into pussies or something. Not coincidentally, we have vastly more cases and deaths than every other country, and our economy has been shut down for longer as a result.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Your mental health is not always within your control. Depression is a health issue. You can get mentally sick just like you get physically sick. Its not something that you can positive think away. For a lot of people with depression, the only remedy is medication.
    I think this is one of those things that's just really difficult to understand from the outside. It's easy to look at people with mental health issues through the lens of your own relative health and make assumptions about causes/solutions, but the reality is that people dealing with those issues are experiencing something you don't know anything about. It really is somewhat similar to telling someone that you eat vegetables and you don't have cancer, so they should eat some vegetables to get rid of their cancer. Sure, diet and exercise can often help, but it's not a cure and it won't always work.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think this is one of those things that's just really difficult to understand from the outside. It's easy to look at people with mental health issues through the lens of your own relative health and make assumptions about causes/solutions, but the reality is that people dealing with those issues are experiencing something you don't know anything about. It really is somewhat similar to telling someone that you eat vegetables and you don't have cancer, so they should eat some vegetables to get rid of their cancer. Sure, diet and exercise can often help, but it's not a cure and it won't always work.
    This is a very good point. I have come to the realization over the last few years that I am never going to understand what it is like to be clinically depressed. The methods I use to improve my mood and level of happiness is not going to work for them. I do believe that there are a lot of people that could improve their mental situation by doing things such as exercise, eating better, meditation, and other simple life changes but those obviously do not have a major impact on people clinically depressed.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    This is a very good point. I have come to the realization over the last few years that I am never going to understand what it is like to be clinically depressed. The methods I use to improve my mood and level of happiness is not going to work for them. I do believe that there are a lot of people that could improve their mental situation by doing things such as exercise, eating better, meditation, and other simple life changes but those obviously do not have a major impact on people clinically depressed.
    I'm as guilty as anyone of casting judgement on people with depression/anxiety/mental disorders/etc, but I had my view drastically changed with the help of some horrific panic attacks that came seemingly out of nowhere. I had NO IDEA our brains were capable of messing with us that much until I experienced it for myself. I see it all very differently now, and I'm much more sympathetic to anyone with any kind of mental issue.

Banned

There are times that I feel lonely and stressed out, but I make sure to look on the brighter side.

Banned

I'm as guilty as anyone of casting judgement on people with depression/anxiety/mental disorders/etc, but I had my view drastically changed with the help of some horrific panic attacks that came seemingly out of nowhere. I had NO IDEA our brains were capable of messing with us that much until I experienced it for myself. I see it all very differently now, and I'm much more sympathetic to anyone with any kind of mental issue.
    This is true. We'll never know how difficult it is to struggle with mental issues until we experience it ourselves. It seems ridiculous to think that we don't have control over our own minds, but it happens.

Banned

Hey, all! I just want to share an article I just read on Stanford site https://med.stanford.edu/psychiatry/...vid19/anx.html It discussed mental health amidst the pandemic. There's depression, anxiety, and risk of suicide. Check it out when you get the chance. Keep safe!

Banned

Thanks for the link. I like the part where she said "Ground yourself in the present moment." I think that's all we must do right now.

Banned

No worries. Happy new year!

Banned

Happy new year! I hope everyone will see this as a new beginning, to leave all the negativity behind. 2020 had been a rollercoaster, but here we are people. Another year, let's make it worthwhile.

Banned

Yes! I love the spirit. At this point, we don't really have anyone to make things better for us. We must create the right mind set because this is it. This is life, and the things that are happening are out of our control. However, we control our thoughts and actions. Let's make it good.

Banned

I'd say it's more of anxiety than depression. There's this feeling of wanting to escape in just a snap, go somewhere where you don't have to worry about anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsen View Post
    I'd say it's more of anxiety than depression. There's this feeling of wanting to escape in just a snap, go somewhere where you don't have to worry about anything.
    I feel you but it's highly unlikely that we get to escape. I know it's hard but we have to deal with this with positive outlook.