Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the cord from Bell

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Cutting the cord from Bell

Finally looking at cutting the (cable) cord and cancelling Bell. Going with Nvidia Shield and probably a Linksys Velop router and then maybe a modem from the new provider I will be using (TekSaavy).

Any recommendations on better options?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Cutting the cord from Bell

i dont really have recommendations on options but when u do this be aware that costumer service from those smaller companies is pretty crappy...i know few people that had to live without internet for few days from time to time..
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i dont really have recommendations on options but when u do this be aware that costumer service from those smaller companies is pretty crappy...i know few people that had to live without internet for few days from time to time..
    Hmmmmmmmmm that is definitely worth considering....

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Finally looking at cutting the (cable) cord and cancelling Bell. Going with Nvidia Shield and probably a Linksys Velop router and then maybe a modem from the new provider I will be using (TekSaavy).

Any recommendations on better options?
    Excellent option. TekSavvy are quick, responsive and worth the price, which is fair. I would say watch out for them getting throttled by the major provider from whom they rent the lines (it happens to all small providers) but they have been pretty good for me for 4 years and I haven't considered ever going back to any of the big boys.

The next thing I'll say is be choosy about your streaming platforms, because the 6 bucks here, 9 bucks there adds up and soon you're close to back where you started.

Get free of the matrix and welcome to the real world.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Excellent option. TekSavvy are quick, responsive and worth the price, which is fair. I would say watch out for them getting throttled by the major provider from whom they rent the lines (it happens to all small providers) but they have been pretty good for me for 4 years and I haven't considered ever going back to any of the big boys.

The next thing I'll say is be choosy about your streaming platforms, because the 6 bucks here, 9 bucks there adds up and soon you're close to back where you started.

Get free of the matrix and welcome to the real world.
    Right I believe they run on Cogeco lines right?

Administrator

Bell is absolute garbage as a company. I've been with a local company for 5 years and I've had a combined ~60 minutes of downtime. Just go with a good company (ask others in your area for local opinions) that offers fibre.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Right I believe they run on Cogeco lines right?
    Depends on where you are. Mine runs on a Rogers line and you can tell there is intermittent speed. Also has to do with my neighbourhood and older lines in general (above ground). However, overall, I have been pleased with their product, price and customer service. They are quick to replace faulty equipment, friendly and are fast at getting the news out there in terms of service interruptions and line repairs.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have heard fantastic things about TekSavvy - great choice. I couldn't use them because at the time they didn't have a Fibre option and it's essentially required since both of us work from home and have some specific networking needs, but I should look at them again to see if things have changed.

I think we have been 10 years now (maybe more?) without any cable. We alternate between a few different streaming services, watch what we want for a while, then switch. Disney + is only subscribed to for a few months for Mandolorian plus whatever else we need to catch up on, then we unsubscribe for switch back to something else. It works well.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Bell is absolute garbage as a company. I've been with a local company for 5 years and I've had a combined ~60 minutes of downtime. Just go with a good company (ask others in your area for local opinions) that offers fibre.
    I remember years ago, in my younger days, I worked for a retail electronics company as a salesman and we sold Bell cell phones. I owned a Bell cell phone myself because I sold them. It only made sense. Even as someone who peddled their products, they were terrible when it came to customer service for my own personal products. I sold their products because I had bills to pay, but I swore I'd never own another Bell product because they personally pissed me off enough times. That was over 30 years ago and even still today I have never owned Bell products. There's nothing I love more than when I get one of the "reps" show up at my door, or a phone call trying to get me to flip from Eastlink to Bell for their product and I tell them no thanks. I love it even more when they ask why because I get the opportunity to tell them exactly why they can shove their products up their arse.

You need internet for everything in life, but there's other options and Bell generally forgets that and are big enough that they usually dont care. That's on them.

I dont know who your other internet options are in your area, but I am going to recommend them to you and happy to hear you are cutting ties with Bell.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I'd like to make some cuts too but we dont have one designated place where we hang out and watch things together . I have 3 bell receivers(living room,master bedroom,spare room/office so I'd need whatever system that replaces that to offer me same level of watchability on those 3 locations in the house .

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'd like to make some cuts too but we dont have one designated place where we hang out and watch things together . I have 3 bell receivers(living room,master bedroom,spare room/office so I'd need whatever system that replaces that to offer me same level of watchability on those 3 locations in the house .
    That's the Linksys option that I mentioned. It's a router and one model comes with 3 "units" that you place in different spots in your house. It's a few hundred bucks for sure but you should make it all back in no time if you aren't paying for Bell anymore.

Dobber Sports Master

That's the Linksys option that I mentioned. It's a router and one model comes with 3 "units" that you place in different spots in your house. It's a few hundred bucks for sure but you should make it all back in no time if you aren't paying for Bell anymore.
    so linksys is the hardware only ? who do you sign up with to still get channels like the canadian / u.s basics + HBO + canadian sports channels + center ice

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    so linksys is the hardware only ? who do you sign up with to still get channels like the canadian / u.s basics + HBO + canadian sports channels + center ice
    That's whole other animal. I know a guy who knows a guy haha. But really that's probably the best route for you.

The Great One

Hmmmmmmmmm that is definitely worth considering....
    Tek Savvy rents their lines so when there is an outage they Tek Savvy is the last to get fixed.

I've had them for about 3 years now and only once they were slow to respond (3-4 days) and I had to harass them and they brought a 'mobile modem' out to my house which was slow but held me over for until they fixed it.

Their prices have also increased by about $5 due to the mafia that is known as the CRTC in Canada

Dobber Sports Master

That's whole other animal. I know a guy who knows a guy haha. But really that's probably the best route for you.
    I bought a direct t.v satt. system back in the late 1990's which was completely legal to own in canada so long as you didnt subscribe to any direct t.v programming lol .