Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.E.I woman asked to payback 18,500 CERB

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: P.E.I woman asked to payback 18,500 CERB

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Sounds like she applied in good faith thinking she was eligible. It's even possible that their was no mention of "net income" at the time she applied so she may have a legitimate argument there.

Further, still from the article, if she had $5,000 in gross income, but claimed expenses, reducing her net income below $5,000 she may be able to re-file your 2019 taxes, erasing the deductions, resulting in a net income over $5,000 and thus she will be eligible for the money she received. This would result in a tiny increase in taxes owing for 2019 but may keep her CERB eligible. Confusing program all around.
    This is her only defence against the overpayment. It can be an honest mistake missing the road sign notifying you it's now a 50 zone vs. 80 zone, but if you're caught going 80, it's still speeding and a ticketable offence.
    it sucks, but it'll still be an overpayment.

It's a story that's the result of a program that was literally created and rolled out overnight to prop up Canadians. There's surely going to be situations like this that result.
    i do wonder if once this gets rectified or resolved if that will make the news as a follow up story?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This is her only defence against the overpayment. It can be an honest mistake missing the road sign notifying you it's now a 50 zone vs. 80 zone, but if you're caught going 80, it's still speeding and a ticketable offence.
    Yeah, but I missed the 50 zone sign because I was texting the COVID cops to report that there were 4 cars at my neighbours house and there is normally only one car in the driveway...so clearly not my fault...
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

This is just a straight financial literacy issue, and clearly the CRA didn't do a good job communicating.

Revenue = $ received
    Expense = $ spent in getting Revenue
    Income = Revenue - Expenses

No doubt the CRA thought that would be well understood by anyone running a business. Seems like a bunch of folks confounded revenue and income. Had the CRA just called it "profits" or something that is better understood, this would all have been a non-issue. Now they have a PR nightmare on their hands.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    This is just a straight financial literacy issue, and clearly the CRA didn't do a good job communicating.

Revenue = $ received
    Expense = $ spent in getting Revenue
    Income = Revenue - Expenses

No doubt the CRA thought that would be well understood by anyone running a business. Seems like a bunch of folks confounded revenue and income. Had the CRA just called it "profits" or something that is better understood, this would all have been a non-issue. Now they have a PR nightmare on their hands.
    It's amazing how few side or part time self-employment businesses don't know this. I think it would shock a lot of folks
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

My favorite are the ones who don't want to earn more money because it might push them into a higher tax bracket and then they will earn less money....

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    My favorite are the ones who don't want to earn more money because it might push them into a higher tax bracket and then they will earn less money....
    Yes, this is charming nonsense!