Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P.E.I woman asked to payback 18,500 CERB

Dobber Sports Master

Default P.E.I woman asked to payback 18,500 CERB

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...asey-1.5838395

not sure why you'd feel that you deserve 500 a week from CERB as income replacment for your 5k a year cake bizz .

this shit probably happened all over canada

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: P.E.I woman asked to payback 18,500 CERB

I’m sure it happened quite a lot. Government trying to get payment out as quick and possible hoping that people will act responsibly when applying for the benefit but knowing they will err on the side of paying benefits to those looking for a free hand out.
    A no win position for the government. They needed to act fast. They would have been severely criticized if they scrutinized every benefit application with the usual slow moving bureaucratic approach.
    One can only hope it’s a small percentage who applied, received and didn’t qualify for the benefits.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I’m sure it happened quite a lot. Government trying to get payment out as quick and possible hoping that people will act responsibly when applying for the benefit but knowing they will err on the side of paying benefits to those looking for a free hand out.
    A no win position for the government. They needed to act fast. They would have been severely criticized if they scrutinized every benefit application with the usual slow moving bureaucratic approach.
    One can only hope it’s a small percentage who applied, received and didn’t qualify for the benefits.
    just read another article where a husband , wife and adult child living with them have to pay it all back , 18,500 x 3 .

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Clearly looks like a misunderstanding that she may be able to fight. Whether or not anyone should be able to receive $18,500 to replace $5,000 gross income is a question for another day. In my opinion, in the Government's haste to help out citizens there was bound to be some inequities whether it be in CERB, CERS, CECRA, CEWS.......

Dobber Sports Wizard

you can debate if its fair or not to get 500 a week based on 5K a year but they specifically said that if someone had made minimum 5k in previous full year they would qualify for CERB. They should not be taking that money away now.

Only problem she probably has (i didnt read full article so i could be wrong here) is that most of that 5k if not all was probably cash, which she cant really prove and technically should not be doing.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    you can debate if its fair or not to get 500 a week based on 5K a year but they specifically said that if someone had made minimum 5k in previous full year they would qualify for CERB. They should not be taking that money away now.

Only problem she probably has (i didnt read full article so i could be wrong here) is that most of that 5k if not all was probably cash, which she cant really prove and technically should not be doing.
    I think that any part of the business that was strictly cash and "off the books" is not part of the discussion. I agree that no one should be doing business in cash as we all have to pay our fair share.

The issue as far as I can tell is that she made the claim based on gross revenues (sales) of $5,000 but the rule was that she needed net revenue (sales less expenses) in excess of that amount. My guess is that her net revenues were less than the $5,000 threshold therefore disqualifying her from making a claim. Like I said in my earlier post, this is likely a simple misunderstanding that may have severe consequences to her if she spent the money already.

All said, this is really a sad situation for so many.

Dobber Sports Wizard

my wife is stay at home mom and technically she makes nothing, but if you added 1,200 + per month we would pay for child care she actually made quite a bit by just staying home....we very close for her to apply but instead we defered mortgage for few months and after a month my job stabilized and were were fine..you can argue even better off for a while. Im glad we didnt apply as she would have to pay it back now...

I personally applied for EI just before CERB was announced, they said you dont need to apply again it all gets transferred. I got 2k almost right away and then i got two payments of 1K all within one month..but i was off work only for 1 month...so im sure ill be paying 2K back as well. Nothing so far tho.

Dobber Sports Titan

The issue was never people like this getting paid. It was completely false cases (mob/gangs claiming for people who didn't exist) or multi-million dollar companies getting loans who didn't need it
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The issue was never people like this getting paid. It was completely false cases (mob/gangs claiming for people who didn't exist) or multi-million dollar companies getting loans who didn't need it
    cant argue that...problem is that those illegal claimers probably had good ways to mask it...this poor woman may get hit for trying to survive...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Better to get it out quick and claw it back than to means test shit to death so things like this doesn’t happen. Should she have to pay it back? Idk I didn’t read the article and probably won’t. People who got it and shouldn’t have should have to pay it back yes. Don’t know if that applies here. I’m still happy they got it out quickly to help the people who really needed it, I’m unconcerned about the small percentage of people that got it and didn’t need it.

I agree, the businesses that took advantage of the system and got loans/bailouts are a much bigger problem than the individuals that took advantage of CERB.

Dobber Sports Master

it sounds like theres proof that she applied for CERB before they changed it from gross income to net income . you'd think there would be systems in place that could flag her case to give her a heads up that the criteria changed .

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Better to get it out quick and claw it back than to means test shit to death so things like this doesn’t happen. Should she have to pay it back? Idk I didn’t read the article and probably won’t. People who got it and shouldn’t have should have to pay it back yes. Don’t know if that applies here. I’m still happy they got it out quickly to help the people who really needed it, I’m unconcerned about the small percentage of people that got it and didn’t need it.

I agree, the businesses that took advantage of the system and got loans/bailouts are a much bigger problem than the individuals that took advantage of CERB.
    100% agree with everything you say here.

Dobber Sports Star

Well, they received 27.57 million applications for CERB and paid out 81 billion dollars for it. It was, very intentionally, easy to get. Sadly, the Integrity department of Service Canada is going to have its hands full over the next few years reviewing claims and determining who received benefits that shouldn’t have. Thankfully, she will be given lots of time to pay it back and won’t have to pay any interest. There is a level of responsibility on everyone to ensure that they fit the qualifying criteria. She’s says she did. She didn’t.

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

She should expect a notice of audit from the government really soon.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sounds like she applied in good faith thinking she was eligible. It's even possible that their was no mention of "net income" at the time she applied so she may have a legitimate argument there.

Further, still from the article, if she had $5,000 in gross income, but claimed expenses, reducing her net income below $5,000 she may be able to re-file your 2019 taxes, erasing the deductions, resulting in a net income over $5,000 and thus she will be eligible for the money she received. This would result in a tiny increase in taxes owing for 2019 but may keep her CERB eligible. Confusing program all around.

Casey said he's been advising people that they're allowed to file an amendment to their 2019 tax returns, where they could shift some eligible expenses to another tax year or simply not claim them.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR