Thread: Alexander Romanov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Alexander Romanov

Hi all,

Im trying to get a little more info about Romanov and what he projects to be.

Im in a multicat league and picked him up late last year when my team was out of contention. Since then Ive read that he seems to be a multicat type player and that we shouldn't expect too much offensive upside. His KHL points total are very low. I'm totally fine with keeping a guy if he projects to be a high hit and block player.

I would be keeping him with my last prospect slot, over someone like Villardi who isnt that valuable on my league so I can take the risk.

If you know more about this guy Id be keen to hear.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Alexander Romanov

Personally, I think Romanov becomes a better real life player than fantasy.

Most pundits will agree that his upside is likely capped somewhere in the 50's, and even as a Habs fan I tend to agree. His numbers in the KHL were low, but lets be wary of the fact that he was sheltered quite a bit for most of his time over there (i.e. not much ice time).

You mentioned your league is a multi-cat scoring system, and I do believe he's best suited for that type of league. He's going to hit a lot (as he did in the KHL), and block a lot of shoots too (as most D-men typically do). Long term, I think he can be a valuable asset in multicat leagues. For this upcoming season, it's hard to project what he's really going to do, but I can see him being given PP2 minutes eventually (especially since Weber tends to get hurt for X amount of games every year).

The Habs coaching staff and management are extremely high on him (maybe even a bit too much), so he will get every opportunity at a top 4 role immediately. The one thing to keep in mind though, is that he played the right side in the KHL--even though he's a left handed shooter. If he wants to play in the top 4 with either Weber or Petry, he'll need to transition to playing on the left side. I don't expect that to be a problem per say since he is a left shooter after all, but it may take a little bit of time for him to adjust. It's nothing that anyone should be worried about, but just a little something to bear in mind.

Overall, I think he'll be a much better own in multicat than points only, likely being able to contribute in a depth role on your team this season under your scoring settings.
    C: MacKinnon, Eriksson Ek, Schmaltz, Bennett, Vilardi
    W: Forsberg, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Keller, M Tkachuk, Tippett, Vatrano, Tolvanen, Drouin,
    D: Carlson, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Chychrun, Hanifin, Durzi, Ekholm, Martinez
    G: Skinner, Talbot, Kochetkov, Rittich

Minors: Geekie, Mateychuk, Knight, Portillo

Categories:
    Goals & Assists = 1 point each
    SOG, Hits, Blks = 0.1 each
    PPP = 0.5
    +/- = 0.25

Goalie Categories: SV = 0.1, W = 2, SO = 3, L = -2, GA = -0.5

Start 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G
    12 Player Keeper - 15 Teams

Dobber Sports Ace

As a Habs fan, I’m very excited about him. However, I do not expect much offence. I think at his peak, he’ll be in the low to mid 30’s with good hit and block totals.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

The Great One

Teepee - if you have a subscription to the athletic...

https://theathletic.com/2234101/2020...ect-canadiens/
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by StillOn24 View Post
    Personally, I think Romanov becomes a better real life player than fantasy.

Most pundits will agree that his upside is likely capped somewhere in the 50's, and even as a Habs fan I tend to agree. His numbers in the KHL were low, but lets be wary of the fact that he was sheltered quite a bit for most of his time over there (i.e. not much ice time).

You mentioned your league is a multi-cat scoring system, and I do believe he's best suited for that type of league. He's going to hit a lot (as he did in the KHL), and block a lot of shoots too (as most D-men typically do). Long term, I think he can be a valuable asset in multicat leagues. For this upcoming season, it's hard to project what he's really going to do, but I can see him being given PP2 minutes eventually (especially since Weber tends to get hurt for X amount of games every year).

The Habs coaching staff and management are extremely high on him (maybe even a bit too much), so he will get every opportunity at a top 4 role immediately. The one thing to keep in mind though, is that he played the right side in the KHL--even though he's a left handed shooter. If he wants to play in the top 4 with either Weber or Petry, he'll need to transition to playing on the left side. I don't expect that to be a problem per say since he is a left shooter after all, but it may take a little bit of time for him to adjust. It's nothing that anyone should be worried about, but just a little something to bear in mind.

Overall, I think he'll be a much better own in multicat than points only, likely being able to contribute in a depth role on your team this season under your scoring settings.
    Thank you for your detailed response. As it is a multicat league and he is my last prospect keeper I think its worth the risk. Even 30-40 points and a bunch of hits and blocks is very valuable in my league, in some cases even a 25 point guy is valuable if he hits a lot. In fact its what my D group is missing. Not too worried about this year, I can keep him for next 2 seasons for free. Im excited by this evaluation and think you've convinced me!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Teepee - if you have a subscription to the athletic...

https://theathletic.com/2234101/2020...ect-canadiens/
    Thanks, I do. Safe to say I'll be keeping him, even if I have to drop a decent prospect.

The Great One

I love the “coachability” aspect in the article. Romanov is capable of playing whatever role is asked of him and does not stray from what the coach wants from him. He’s going to be fun to watch for sure. And I’d say definitely worth the keep.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Initiate

This from Dobber is pretty much it!

https://dobberhockey.com/2020/12/05/...der-prospects/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Piling on, he's a guy I'd want to have in a multi-cat league with a deep prospect pool.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by teepee1 View Post
    Even 30-40 points and a bunch of hits and blocks is very valuable in my league, in some cases even a 25 point guy is valuable if he hits a lot. In fact its what my D group is missing. Not too worried about this year, I can keep him for next 2 seasons for free.
    Then he's 100% a good investment. He should climb the ladder pretty quickly in Montreal.
    Within 2 seasons, he'll be a top-4 dman unless he stumbles badly.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Maybe a 25-35 points D-man but a pretty good real life D.
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO