Thread: Carter Savoie - Steal of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Carter Savoie - Steal of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

Could Carter Savoie be the steal of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft? After scoring 53 goals in 54 AJHL games last year, he picked up right where he left off last season with 3 goals in his first 2 NCAA games. His two goals tonight were assisted by his teammate last year Michael Benning.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Carter Savoie - Steal of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

no idea but I've added him to my watch-list

Dobber Sports Deity

A lot of pundits had Savoie higher on the pre-draft rankings so he was a bit of a faller. It's a bit early to say he was the steal of the draft or not, but as an Oiler fan, I'm glad he fell to them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

He and Ty Tullio both seemed like great picks for the Oilers especially considering they didn't have their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Here's hoping that turns out. But someday I want someone to compile a list of all of the players that were overhyped because they played on Edmonton. Not to say that's going to be the case here but it would be pretty interesting if you could actually see the difference between say Yakupov and whoever was drafted around Yakupov. Or AA when he was traded. Or Ennis. Or or or or.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Here's hoping that turns out. But someday I want someone to compile a list of all of the players that were overhyped because they played on Edmonton. Not to say that's going to be the case here but it would be pretty interesting if you could actually see the difference between say Yakupov and whoever was drafted around Yakupov. Or AA when he was traded. Or Ennis. Or or or or.
    I say this about the Leafs all the time too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

He was considered a great value pick at the time he was selected, virtually everyone I talked to thought he was a good bet in that range. And obviously you want to see signs that he's progressing, which this scoring is nice. Having done a bunch of Re-Draft pods, re-visiting old drafts. Every draft has at least one guy outside the top-60 turn into an All-Star/MVP caliber player and it isn't always apparent right away.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I say this about the Leafs all the time too.
    Very true! And you could just as easily say it about the mid-late 2000 Red Wings as well. How's Teemu Pulkinnen?

Administrator

Since we're on Oilers prospects. Remember how horny we were on Broberg a month or so ago, when he started out with like 6 points in 8 games? Well he's cooled off and is at 9 P/23 G (still good progress) with some weaker goal differential numbers. Looking once again like he's a project rather than destined to make a pop this season.

Point being, let's check in on Savoie in a month and see if he's still scoring like mad.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

Savoie with another goal and an assist tonight! It's quite apparent that he can score but I don't think anyone ever doubted that. The question is whether or not the rest of his game will develop enough for him to get a shot in the NHL in a few years.

Broberg is a little different since he's a dman who projects to be more of a defensive dman than a PP1 type of guy. Broberg putting up 6 points in 8 games or 9 points in 23 games does not tell me anything about how good of an NHLer he may become.

*I started this thread mostly as a don't sleep on this guy if you are in a deeper league, not because I think he's actually going to be the steal of the draft. Savoie is the type of guy you should be drafting outside of the first round in your leagues. He either becomes a top 6 forward in the NHL and puts up fantasy relevant number of points or he doesn't make it. That's a much better pick than someone who might become an 4th line grinder.

Dobber Sports Stud

As much as I like Savoie as an Oilers fan, the real steal of the draft was his teammate Benning.

Dobber Sports Master

isnt the Chromiak kid another one that slid .

The Isles took Ljungkrantz in round 3 instead of either Savoie or Chromiak
    Ljungkrantz is a hard-working buzzsaw who loves to mix things up along the boards and drive the net. He doesn't have elite skills, but his hands aren't made of stone, either. And given his penchant for battling toward the crease, Ljungkrantz manages to get chances. He's a prototypical bottom-six guy in the NHL and will be beloved by the fans on Long Island. But he probably won't be a fantasy star.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    As much as I like Savoie as an Oilers fan, the real steal of the draft was his teammate Benning.
    I hope you are correct, I drafted him with late third round lotto pick actually is was pick #85 - top of the 4th
    5 assists in 5 games, not bad not bad.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot