Thread: What is the best - worst present you have ever given &/or received

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default What is the best - worst present you have ever given &/or received

What is the best - worst present you have ever given &/or received - title says it all.

Years ago, I had a neurotic Blue Heeler (I know, they're all neurotic, he was extra special neurotic though). Wife & I thought it would be a great idea to give each other a 'gag' gift from the dog to each other...

well... he got her:

Flowers followed already purchased - as she did not see the same humour and I was prepared for the fallout.

I got a book of Chuck Norris quotes.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What is the best - worst present you have ever given &/or received

The best gift I ever gave my wife was a jar full of Hershey kisses at Valentine's Day. Attached to every kiss was a short tag with a note on it on why she means so much to me. Needless to say, that was when we were dating and I have never topped it yet lol. I think there was something like 75 kisses in there. Some notes were funny and some were serious. She read them all and still has it on her dresser in the bedroom.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Ok, I’ll give Axe the trophy for most romantic. No issue. Fantastic.

Mine was more just fun. My daughter turned 30 a few years ago, early August. Huge NFL/Eagles fan. So Dad shows up (5 hr drive) to take her to a preseason NFL game. We tailgated, we brought enough food for people to stop by and ask about the birthday balloons.... Game starts and the tickets were row 15, about 20 yard line. As Lindsay went to the rest room, I let everyone else around (strangers, sure) in on the punch line.

“Hey Lindsay, decent seats, huh?”

“Yeah they’re great!”

“Well, your ACTUAL birthday present is these same seats for the Monday night season opener.”

“OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, .... “

Guy (stranger in front of her) turns around and completes it, “...And the rest of the season.”

I thought she’d pee herself.

:-)

Dobber Sports Sage

I was dating a Jewish girl and on Easter Night she told me how she felt cheated since she never received an Easter basket. That was my cue so I bought her a glass Easter Egg (think cookie jar) and filled it with candy. What was great was that I bought it a couple days after Easter and everything was 75% or so off. I paid $15 for all this candy in a big Easter Egg. She was thrilled.

That same girl had said to me early in our courtship that her science education was incomplete since she had never made a volcano. Needless to say, I brought everything over to her house and we made a volcano. She later accused me of being suggestive. Whatever it takes.....
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Best gift (excluding thing like a surprise party) received would probably be a Valentine's gift from my ex-wife of this boardgame:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196/kremlin

The box is very red. I was shocked by it, because she paid attention at some point when we were in a game store.

I've given a few women the best gift they ever got ( as they said at the time) but the actual best gift given was to my aunt one year for Christmas/her birthday. She was an older lady who was really really cheap, and also wealthy, but depression-era so refused to admit it. She returned almost every gift for cash, unless it was cash, a store gift card she'd 100% use (grocery store, for example), or food she'd eat - can't return somebody's baked banana bread. When doing her estate I found a box with notes and money, relating to how much she got when she returned gifts she was given dating back 50 years. She also didn't own a car.

She also had a rowhouse dating from 1916 which she never really got fixed up right, always getting some handyman to patch up whatever. Her bathroom was basically never fully functional for over a decade, there was always some issue. Leaky faucet, drain problems, soil stack problems, etc. I was always moaned about because I was a male who wasn't handy and couldn't fix things - except computers, which were useless to her.

So I figured out the perfect gift one year. Something she wouldn't buy herself, said she wanted (which was usually true, but the item got returned anyway - even oriental rugs) and desperately needed. So I went to Home Depot and got her a toilet. Loaded the box into my car, brought it up to the porch and left it there when I came over for dinner. My mom was laughing a lot at this, and my aunt's boyfriend then decided that anytime he wanted to surprise her with something too big for him to handle, I was his guy.

She couldn't return it herself, and it sat on the porch for 2 years, until the bathroom got done - which I had to manage for her.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The best gift I ever gave my wife was a jar full of Hershey kisses at Valentine's Day. Attached to every kiss was a short tag with a note on it on why she means so much to me. Needless to say, that was when we were dating and I have never topped it yet lol. I think there was something like 75 kisses in there. Some notes were funny and some were serious. She read them all and still has it on her dresser in the bedroom.
    Wow, you are romantic!

Dobber Sports Titan

I wrote a Christmas Carol explaining a trip to DT Toronto I was taking my ex-gf on and what we were going to be doing. Ended up a waste of time and money since it was my ex lol.

Best gift I gave my gf now...she tells me what to get her. She buys the gifts from her parents for herself because she'll just return them. So I've been very cautious on stepping outside of the guidelines I've been given. I bought her a wireless charger that's made of marble (like $40, nothing crazy) and it shocked her because it was off-list. Because she hasn't been surprised by a gift in years, she really enjoyed it.

Best gift given...I remember gifts for trips way more than items. I much rather a ticket to a Leafs game than an item that's worth the same. Give me a night out with you. My sister and I usually exchange a meal out with each other as gifts. So we'd go out for lunch together or something.

Best item...I got a bunch of stuff this yr as a bar starter. I had a bunch of stuff already in different whiskeys, boston shakers and stuff, but I didn't have nice coup glasses, or some simple syrups or random bar stuff to store bitters/garnishes/what nots. That'll be a thing I'll likely keep forever now. Just because it's items you get once and typically don't growout of.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

She bested me with a few vouchers to some gun range in the middle of nowhere. Says my aim is off. I have a certificate and 2 kids that say otherwise. **pew pew**
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.