Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are you getting your wife for Christmas?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What are you getting your wife for Christmas?

Do NOT buy your wives/girlfriends clothes LOL!!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yes.

Dobber Sports Sage

The key is to listen throughout the year. If I ask my wife she will give me boring ideas like perfume or a gift card or a link for a sweater. The best gifts have been items she was not expecting or didn't even know about. Last year, I bought her these champagne glitter, bedazzled Kate Spade shoes that were shoes she would not normally buy for herself. She had some glitter converse so I knew she would like them. And the pink was outside what she would normally buy for herself. She loved them and wore them in the house for a month before wearing them outside.

This year, one of the things I am getting her is a 4-slot toaster. (I still need to think of other things.) She has said a couple times over the years we should get one. What makes it a good gift is that it shows I am listening to her and getting her something she doesn't need but wants. Over the years I have bought her a remote car starter, an Ipad, a Coach leather bag for work, a soft shell Northface jacket, and high-end Brooks running shoes which were the best gym shoes she has ever wore. She didn't ask for any of those things but she ended up loving them. I find that getting her something she would not buy for herself because it is too expensive scores me big, big points.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The key is to listen throughout the year. If I ask my wife she will give me boring ideas like perfume or a gift card or a link for a sweater. The best gifts have been items she was not expecting or didn't even know about. Last year, I bought her these champagne glitter, bedazzled Kate Spade shoes that were shoes she would not normally buy for herself. She had some glitter converse so I knew she would like them. And the pink was outside what she would normally buy for herself. She loved them and wore them in the house for a month before wearing them outside.

This year, one of the things I am getting her is a 4-slot toaster. (I still need to think of other things.) She has said a couple times over the years we should get one. What makes it a good gift is that it shows I am listening to her and getting her something she doesn't need but wants. Over the years I have bought her a remote car starter, an Ipad, a Coach leather bag for work, a soft shell Northface jacket, and high-end Brooks running shoes which were the best gym shoes she has ever wore. She didn't ask for any of those things but she ended up loving them. I find that getting her something she would not buy for herself because it is too expensive scores me big, big points.
    I'm a huge proponent of this style as well. I have an ongoing 'gifts' list on my phone that I use for everyone, and when there's a possible gift idea from a conversation where they complain about something or wish they had something, you jot it down then forget about it. Then Christmas/birthday rolls around, open up the list and there's all your ideas just waiting for you.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

and give her a chance to finally best me in Fantasy Hockey?

I. DON'T. THINK. SO. BUDDY.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Too true. Best bet here -- couple years ago I clipped several envelopes on the tree. Each one a gift card to the mall. I coordinated it with her sister's husband so they could have a day out shopping together. One of their favorite things.

I think the one clothing exception would be pajama's. They often tell you exactly what kind they want several times throughout the year
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm a huge proponent of this style as well. I have an ongoing 'gifts' list on my phone that I use for everyone, and when there's a possible gift idea from a conversation where they complain about something or wish they had something, you jot it down then forget about it. Then Christmas/birthday rolls around, open up the list and there's all your ideas just waiting for you.
    This is too organized for me to contemplate

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Too true. Best bet here -- couple years ago I clipped several envelopes on the tree. Each one a gift card to the mall. I coordinated it with her sister's husband so they could have a day out shopping together. One of their favorite things.

I think the one clothing exception would be pajama's. They often tell you exactly what kind they want several times throughout the year
    As long as they are baggy LOL!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Cheaper to be divorced and more interesting to buy presents for people who don’t expect something. I did a full Thanksgiving dinner for a family I don’t know, and I’m sending nice steaks to my medical assistants.
    I'm with the Doc on this one. Christmas was a big surprise in Year One A.D. but the novelty has worn off by the time you find out Santa isnt real (dont tell Trump he's already having a bad month.) The unexpected is always more memorable.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Cheaper to be divorced and more interesting to buy presents for people who don’t expect something. I did a full Thanksgiving dinner for a family I don’t know, and I’m sending nice steaks to my medical assistants.
    I've been there, and believe me, it aint cheap to get divorced LOL! What's that old country song, it would have been cheaper to keep her around? HAHA!

Dobber Sports Pro

I just told my co-worker I'm on a fantasy hockey website and the hottest trending thread is "What are you getting your wife for X-mas", lol

Me and my spouse don't bother with big gifts at X-mas. Might spring for something small and meaningful if it seems like a good idea. We prefer sharing experiences rather than physical gifts.

Dobber Sports Titan

A dinner out is something my gf and I do for our Birthdays (we're like 2 days apart), it might not be something able to be done right now because of COVID, but that's a nice gift but not really a gift. Go out to eat one night and splurge a bit on drinks and get an uber home if that's your thing.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

As long as they are baggy LOL!
    right? maybe she'll stop wearing mine. Reminds me. I bought her socks last year as a stocking add on. She wasn't impressed. I basically got her the womens version of my socks since she steals them all the time. I was like, you clearly liked them. That was not the case.... segway reminder for the other thread i wanted to start.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I keep a mental list for upcoming gifts. Back when we started dating seriously I asked her all her sizes and likes and dislikes. We did it over drinks and it spawned a great conversation. It was a great help the first 5 years of so of our relationship. I literally have a file on my computer for my wife gift preferences and sizes.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Learned that a long time ago. Best thing is buy her a gift card to one of her favourite stores. Can't go wrong with Lulu Lemon.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO