Thread: Tracking Line Combinations - need help

Administrator

Default Tracking Line Combinations - need help

As some of you know I'm rebuilding the Frozen Tools script that fetches boxscore data. The old script has been running hourly since around 2008 but with new technology available it's time to move forward.

Line combinations will eventually display total time spent together. Using shift data this is actually very easy. The only problem - we specify EV/PP/SH in our line combinations. It gets tricky when, for example, a power play ends mid-shift and the rest of the shift is spent at even strength. I think I have it figured out, but wanted to post here in case anyone can see a flaw in my logic to make sure I properly track when "strength" can change mid-shift. I want all special cases worked out so there's never any problems.

Situations that can change EV/PP/SH during a player's shift:
    -An existing penalty expires
    -A new penalty is called
    -A power play goal is scored

When either of the above happens during a shift I re-check how many players are on the ice for each team to figure out the new EV/PP/SH state.

I think that covers everything...?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Tracking Line Combinations - need help

Would 3 on 3 affect things? Penalty shots? A goalie being pulled adding another skater (does that skater count as a lineman for the full shift, part of the shift, at all)?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Goalie pull doesn't impact EV/PP/SH. The goalie is considered one of the 6 EV players so pulling him for a skater does not impact that. 3 on 3 OT could be odd. They don't pull players off the SH team, they add them to the PP team. Still would only change in the above cases Eric mentioned.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Goalie pull doesn't impact EV/PP/SH. The goalie is considered one of the 6 EV players so pulling him for a skater does not impact that. 3 on 3 OT could be odd. They don't pull players off the SH team, they add them to the PP team. Still would only change in the above cases Eric mentioned.
    Fair enough. Just trying to consider every angle. Sounds like Eric would have it covered then
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Correct - goalies are part of the shift tracker. Has all kinds of other benefits but also helps track EV/PP/SH. Normal situation: 6 total players on each side. Goalie pulled: 6 skaters, 0 goalies. Penalty: 6 players on one side, 5 players on the other side. Overtime: 3 skaters + goalie on each side = 4v4. The power play situation would be 5v4.

TBH some of the info contained in the new NHL API is quite amazing - a game-changer for us when we get it all up and running. Really fun as a programmer.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Would 3 on 3 affect things? Penalty shots? A goalie being pulled adding another skater (does that skater count as a lineman for the full shift, part of the shift, at all)?
    Good call on penalty shots. The "players on ice" part is easy, it's just not clear in the data like it is in the older format to know it's a penalty shot vs a shot during regular play. Pain in the ass but I'll figure it out.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Wouldn't it matter for the player coming on, and the combinations of other players on the ice; o r is that already baked into the data feed? A goalie pull during a power play could still do that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.