Thread: Picks question

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Picks question

I’m sitting with picks 1-11-39-43-67-68-81-90-109, in my keeper league, we’re a keeper 4 + rookie carry over, so we of course fill out the rest of our rosters via the draft.

Would you rather:

Picks 1-30-39-43-67-68-81-90-109 or

Picks 1-11-39-67-68-81-90-109-123

So first scenario I’m just shifting down from Rd 1 to 3, second scenario I’m losing a 4th, so essentially finishing @ 123 instead of 109.

I can see arguments for both Options, but I think I prefer the 2nd at first glance. I do find it hard to decide though, I set myself up well picks wise, in either case but just curious what people think.

Side bar, for Option 1 I’d be moving Meier with a 1st for Fiala, Getz and a 3rd. I’d then have to buy Getz out for 50$ Real money, and Fiala I don’t have room to keep so I’d try to flip him, or make room for him, but this is highly unlikely given he just had 1 good year and is otherwise unproven. So this is getting some kind of value for Meier, but potentially doesn’t look as good if I have to drop Fiala.

Option 2 is just moving Meier with a pick to dump his contract, but a 4th. The other team would buy him out.

The idea of moving Meier is to free up room to put Q Hughes as 4 and then Shest would slide in as my rookie carry over. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I don’t want to pay 150$ in buyout fees on Meier, nor do I want to trade Shest or have to drop him because I kept Meier, Shest is a guy I want to hang onto.

2019:

Rd 1: J Hughes, Kakko, Vasilevskiy, Connor, Benn, Atkinson, Hedman, Carlson, Rielly, Dadonov, Rakell, Klingberg, Josi
    Rd 2: Zibanejad, Hertl, O'Reilly, Arvidsson, Voracek, Couturier, Bobrovsky, Lindholm Andersen, Domi, Giordano, Rask, Krug, Pavelski
    Rd 3: Subban, Bishop, Duchene, Holtby, Mantha, Barrie, Pacioretty, W Karlsson, Couture, Fleury, Toews, Jones, RNH, Gusev
    Rd 4: Grubauer, Chabot, Ghost, Letang, Trocheck, Rinne, Reinhart, Strome, E Kane, Kopitar, Trouba, Konecny, Ehlers, Morrissey

I do like the idea of having a chance to re-draft Meier if I go with Option 2.

With Option 1 the team is desperate for picks, but finished 3rd this past season and has really good keepers.

That team is sitting with Rd 4, 6, 9, 10, and so on for 2020 (so really bad picks wise) and for 2021 they have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd either.

I guess you could say I'd be helping their situation by giving a pick up, but it is a mid rounder and the draft is a crap shoot anyways, especially as it goes on.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Picks question

I'd rather have higher picks even if it means less of them, than having more picks that are later in the draft.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd rather have higher picks even if it means less of them, than having more picks that are later in the draft.
    yup... esp. in a keep 4. Some grade A talent should be at 1-11.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    yup... esp. in a keep 4. Some grade A talent should be at 1-11.
    Vasilevskiy is being kept, Jack Hughes, Kakko, Connor, Carlson in terms of those guys from first round last year. Not sure if that changes anything, also Grade A talent hey? Bear in mind it is the leftovers lol, of course some good talent but 65-70 guys not available (depending on how many rookies carried over).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Vasilevskiy is being kept, Jack Hughes, Kakko, Connor, Carlson in terms of those guys from first round last year. Not sure if that changes anything, also Grade A talent hey? Bear in mind it is the leftovers lol, of course some good talent but 65-70 guys not available (depending on how many rookies carried over).
    it's a keep 4. Just look around your league at some 5, 6's that teams can't keep.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    it's a keep 4. Just look around your league at some 5, 6's that teams can't keep.
    True, look no further than my team: Dubois, Lindholm, Hart, Hedman etc. Just wondered based on the example picks I posted if you see a lot of difference between Pick 11 and 30? It’s basically moving down 19 spots, in the other scenario I’m just losing Pick 43, first pick of Rd 4 (it wasn’t my own pick, got it in a trade and it was based on the positioning of the team that won the lottery, but they aren’t smart about picks and had moved their own 1st previously as well).

I’m also picking at 4th overall, but no 2nd rounder so it would hurt to wait from 4 to 30 if I were to move down, so I’d have one 1st and two 3rds but at least I’d lose a pick but gain a pick, just trying to weigh that vs moving a pick outright, but mid round.