Thread: What to expect fron Dylan Strome?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default What to expect fron Dylan Strome?

I have purchased few hockey guides for 2020-21. Some placed Strome in the 40pts range, others in the 50 and even above 60.

Sometimes he is inside the top 6, on the wing or center, sometimes on the 3rd line behind Dach.

What can we realistically expect from him?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: What to expect fron Dylan Strome?

I had this same question. I was surprised when I saw the information in the guide on his possession driving numbers. They were much better than I expected. I had previously cast him as an overachieving bust but I'm starting to think there's more to him than some of the raw number show. The Hawks getting him to match him with Debrincat was a coup. I honestly believe they will recreate in the NHL what they had in the OHL, to a lesser degree of course. I expect high 50s to low 60s in terms of pace for this season. He will get top 6 deployment, I have no doubt. Looks like he may become something.

Dach is really a much better player at the same age. I see both blossoming with one having to leave on contract demands (probably Strome) but I think they grow in parallel.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

Assuming he re-signs, and if you read the rumors, that should happen at some point, I think he's still their 2C for the short term so I expect something in the 45-55pt range for him, also assuming 82 games of course (which we all know isnt going to happen this year). I know, that's a lot of assuming.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Strome's short-term future is tied to how quickly Dach develops. Dach played very well in August even better than his stats suggested. The line of Strome, Kane, and Debrincat is very poor defensively so Colliton has been hesitant to stick with it. Depending on the opponent and game situation, he will put the line together for some offense but it is not a long term solution. Dach is already a better defensive player than Strome so I envision a Dach, Kane, Debrincat line enventually.

Overall, projecting Strome as the 2nd-line center is risky and I wouldn't draft him accordingly. Toews and Dach are going to be their top 2 centers for the next couple seasons. It is just a matter if Dach is there to start the season as a top 6 center or isn't ready till later. And since the Hawks are in a rebuild, developing Dach is their number 1 priority at the expense of putting Strome in the best position for him to succeed. Strome did not play well as a winger so that is not a viable option. I think he gets traded sooner than later.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Strome's short-term future is tied to how quickly Dach develops. Dach played very well in August even better than his stats suggested. The line of Strome, Kane, and Debrincat is very poor defensively so Colliton has been hesitant to stick with it. Depending on the opponent and game situation, he will put the line together for some offense but it is not a long term solution. Dach is already a better defensive player than Strome so I envision a Dach, Kane, Debrincat line enventually.

Overall, projecting Strome as the 2nd-line center is risky and I wouldn't draft him accordingly. Toews and Dach are going to be their top 2 centers for the next couple seasons. It is just a matter if Dach is there to start the season as a top 6 center or isn't ready till later. And since the Hawks are in a rebuild, developing Dach is their number 1 priority at the expense of putting Strome in the best position for him to succeed. Strome did not play well as a winger so that is not a viable option. I think he gets traded sooner than later.
    I dont remember too many Hawks games from last year but wasn't Dach playing wing more than center last year?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont remember too many Hawks games from last year but wasn't Dach playing wing more than center last year?
    The Hawks eased him in at wing but by the end of the year he was playing center exclusively. After the first few games of the playoffs, Dach centered Kane the rest of the way. Dach was much more confident and played stronger in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. He played better overall than Strome.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; December 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: more detail
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The Hawks eased him in at wing but by the end of the year he was playing center exclusively. After the first few games of the playoffs, Dach centered Kane the rest of the way. Dach was much more confident and played stronger in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. He played better overall than Strome.
    Cool. Thanks for the clarity.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I can see the long term hangers on of Strome getting paid off in another couple years. Would not be surprised either if the breakout comes on another team once Dach is more established & they become more comfortable moving on from him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I can see the long term hangers on of Strome getting paid off in another couple years. Would not be surprised either if the breakout comes on another team once Dach is more established & they become more comfortable moving on from him.
    Like his brother who broke out for a 50+pt season after most people gave up on him?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Like his brother who broke out for a 70+pt season after most people gave up on him?
    The 70+pt season, absolutely, but he won't plummet to his brothers depths. He'll remain a decent depth fantasy option (55-65) until he does.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The 70+pt season, absolutely, but he won't plummet to his brothers depths. He'll remain a decent depth fantasy option (55-65) until he does.
    I actually mistyped on the 70+ pts, meant 50+pts.

Dobber Sports Jedi

We should remember Strome is 6'3" -- which means his BT is 400 gp. he's at 165. He has 3 seasons to go before we really see him emerge.

If you have the patience to wait, or in a deep rebuild/deep pool - he's someone to target to acquire this and next season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for your comments. As I thought, there is a lot of uncertainties around him.