Thread: Help Me With This Team (Try 2)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Help Me With This Team (Try 2)

Current Keeper Set up:

Draisaitl/Meier (3 yr), Hall/Seguin (2 yr), Quinn Hughes (R).

Draft Picks: Rd 1 (4), 1 (11), 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8

I’d like to preface this by saying I’m still trying to figure out the best route to free myself from Meier’s contract, I have options but the only way I can sign Hughes to 4 + hang onto a rookie goalie is to get rid of someone, and Meier is my weakest keeper, so the scenario below is based on me freeing up room.

Now onto a rookie trade option, the team that won last year has Elvis who he was planning to carry over as his rookie, however he’s looking to upgrade that spot and
    is offering me a 4th round pick in 2020.

I've got Samsonov as a rookie option as well, I would have rather moved him but this other gm doesn't want him.

4th round last year: Grubauer, Chabot, Gostisbehere, Letang, Trocheck, Rinne, Reinhart, Strome, E Kane, Kopitar, Trouba, Konecny, Ehlers, Morrissey.

So given I might move a 4th to get rid of Meier's contract, would you rather have Samsonov and break even picks wise, or Shesterkin and have 1 less pick?

The way I look at it is that I'm fine picks wise either way, but the other gm is trying to tell me it would be risky to draft a Byfield for instance, and hold onto Shesterkin and then if I were to carry him over into 21/22 as well (he's still rookie eligible this upcoming season), because basically I wouldn't be able to use Byfield as my rookie carry over and would have to sign him to a regular contract (Ie: 4 years), but of course I'd have to make room (since no expiring contract after 20/21). However if I really wanted to do Byfield as rookie carry-over, I could still free up a regular contract and just sign Shesterkin short term and have him longer than 20/21.

With Samsonov, he burned rookie status last year so he's only a rookie carry over option heading into 20/21, I don't want to base the deal on how many times you can carry a rookie over, more just food for thought, and nice to have more options (thus my reluctance to move Shest). If I kept Samsonov, yeah I could similarly free up a contract after 20/21 and sign him short term, but that would be my only option with him, but sounds like people around here like Shesterkin a lot and he's the guy to go with still!

The Great One

Default Re: Help Me With This Team (Try 2)

Shesterkin and one less pick.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Pro

So overall, you'd move Meier with a pick (would be bought out), sign Hughes to 4 and put Shesterkin at rookie?

That would leave me with the following picks:

1-1-3-5-5-6-7-8-9

This plan seems optimal to me vs any other trade scenarios:

-Meier will go back into the draft, option to re-draft him
    -Keeping goalie on team that's on the upswing
    -Not moving above goalie to X champion

Of course on a down note I'm not getting any value for Meier, however:

In terms of Meier value, the only real option where I would have got something tangible back was the offer I mentioned in another thread: Meier + 11th overall for Fiala, Getz + 30th overall, however I would be spending 50$ to buy out Getz, downgrading a pick + getting Fiala would only be useful if I were able to flip him in a 2 for 1 or make additional room to sign him, which is risky/not guaranteed or even likely (Seguin injured, Fiala had great to end season but doesn't have the track record at this point). Plus I can just try to draft Fiala as well

In moving Meier with a pick I'd be helping a team super short on picks and that finished in the cash, but the draft is still a crap shoot especially as it goes on, and I don't think a 4th is crazy, and I could stomach if he found someone decent anyways as I would have gained flexibility. Maybe I don't end up getting a chance @ Meier in the draft for instance if someone else takes him, and maybe he does really well in 20/21 but I can't worry about that I just need to make the best moves to reduce my risk heading into 20/21. Regarding Fiala yeah he could go off again and keep getting better and maybe I won't get him in the draft either but trading for him at this juncture just doesn't make sense given my situation, and if I miss out on Meier and/or Fiala there will be other guys like that available I'm sure, we shall see!

I'd also prefer Shesterkin and 1 less pick, plus have a chance @ Sammy in the draft. I'd hate to trade Shest then he'll flourish on another team. Who knows how Samsonov and Shesterkin will compare going forward, but as of right now I prefer Shest.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

Another way to look at it is Meier + 4th for Shesterkin, and in turn I'll have Hughes longer.

Plus who knows, maybe someone will come along and want Samsonov and I'll get a pick out of him still, wouldn't have chance @ him in draft but can't re-draft everyone lol.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Another way to look at it is Meier + 4th for Shesterkin, and in turn I'll have Hughes longer.
    Which is excellent in my opinion. Nice that you boiled that first huge post down to this. Excellent exercise in concision.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Which is excellent in my opinion. Nice that you boiled that first huge post down to this. Excellent exercise in concision.
    Thanks man, just trying to post better lol.

Another thing on Meier, he was a piece in the deal where I got Quinn Hughes:

It was last year, early on my Barkov + Couture + 7th rounder for Quinn + Meier + 1st (4th overall) + Trocheck + 4th rounder.

It was a little dicey early as couture was doing pretty well, Trocheck was meh, but Couture ended up getting hurt and Barkov of course had a down year, but was a beast the year before, and Hughes was solid all year but a rookie, and Meier bounced back after slow start but underwhelming overall.

If you just look at prime pieces, potentially it’ll be Hughes + Byfield or Stutzle for my Barkov. I lucked out the team’s positioning that the pick was based on finished bottom 4. The funny thing is the guy that traded me that pick had gotten that pick from a normally strong team, and moved his own first in a separate deal that wound up being first overall lol, ouch! This guy is notorious for trading all his picks, but I think we made a really fair trade.

Meier just didn’t do enough where I want to have him locked in, who knows how he’ll do next year, and the Sharks I feel are declining, still a good talent though. I just prefer Seguin still despite injury, and being able to hang onto Shest and put Hughes @ 4.

I like to look at the sum of different deals. On a crappy note, at one point a couple years ago I traded aho for Patches (Patches who stayed 40 pt guy for 2 years), and I ended up spending 50$ on a buyout, but on another hand I traded Wheeler for Draisaitl in 18/19 lol so I guess made up for it.

Also regarding Shesterkin I just grabbed him off free agency at the right time so lucked out. It’s a waivers type system we have, so based on priority and such and doesn’t go through immediately. And admittedly thing is a bit of a longer post again but not complicated I don’t think lol.