Thread: 2021 and 2022 NHL Draft

The Great One

Default 2021 and 2022 NHL Draft

Any prospect gurus out there who've been researching prospects for the 2021 and 2022 drafts?

I'm in a unique league in which we are able to draft prospects eligible for future NHL drafts (2021, 2022, and 2023).

In our upcoming draft, I have the 4th overall pick. I know Bedard (2023) and Mickhov (2023) will be the first two picks. Most of the top guys for the 2021 draft are still available. For the 2022 draft, Lambert, Savoie, and Wright are already gone.

I don't want to discuss this openly because some of my fellow poolies visit this site. If you'd like to discuss the 2021 and 2022 drafts with me, please send me a DM so we can chat privately.

Cheers.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Default Re: 2021 and 2022 NHL Draft

If you have the Athletic - out today...

https://theathletic.com/2200822/2020...rankings-2021/
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

I've looked at 2021 to some extent but nothing further than that. 2021 looks great if you like Dmen, not as great for forwards.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is there a future elite d-man in the upcoming draft like Makar or „just“ good nhl d-men?

The Great One

2021 has lots of highly-ranked dmen, but it is a stretch to think any of them will be as good as Makar. From a fantasy-hockey perspective, Makar is the best dman to enter the NHL in over three decades.

That said, my pick for the top offensively-minded dmen for the 2021 draft is Brandt Clarke. Power, Lambos, Hughes, and Edvinsson are all likely to be high picks, but I don't personally think they have the same offensive potential as Clarke. Another good option to become a fantasy stud is Carson Ceulemans.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Demi-God

4th overall is a nice spot.
    I'd probably be considering:

1. Bedard (2023)
    2. Michkov (2023)
    3. Miroschnichenko (2022, the #4 guy)
    4a. Kent Johnson? (2021)
    4b. Adam Fantilli (2023)

Any of those five guys are to my liking, for forwards.
    Obviously there's some great defenders in the mix... but you have to figure out how to value D vs. F (in any league).
    Fantilli may have more NHL upside - being so far away - but also may have more downside.
    I think Kent Johnson will be a solid NHL producer... so I'd hedge that way - if it was my pick.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    4th overall is a nice spot.
    I'd probably be considering:

1. Bedard (2023)
    2. Michkov (2023)
    3. Miroschnichenko (2022, the #4 guy)
    4a. Kent Johnson? (2021)
    4b. Adam Fantilli (2023)

Any of those five guys are to my liking, for forwards.
    Obviously there's some great defenders in the mix... but you have to figure out how to value D vs. F (in any league).
    Fantilli may have more NHL upside - being so far away - but also may have more downside.
    I think Kent Johnson will be a solid NHL producer... so I'd hedge that way - if it was my pick.
    Thank Peng...

Miroshnichenko is gone (was drafted last year)

I had Fantilli high on my list a few months ago, but he's dropped down my list of late. In this particular league, it is generally ill-advised to draft someone three years out unless he is considered "generational". Historically, it only pans out if the player is someone like Lafreniere, McDavid, Eichel, Wright, Lambert, Savoie, Dahlin, etc. Basically, a player who is good enough to be a consensus first overall contender three years out, and extremely likely to play in the NHL as a rookie. Bedard and Michkov fit the bill right now for 2023, but Fantilli no longer seems to be in the same category as them. He is someone I'd more likely draft next year, or take a flyer on with a later pick (not the 4th overall).

Johnson is certainly someone I'm considering, along with at least half a dozen other 2021 players (Beniers, Guenther, Eklund, Power, Edvinsson, Lysell, Othmann, Olausson, and others). I find the Michigan situation very interesting. There was a lot of fanfare surrounding Johnson and Power early in the season, as they seemed to immediately adapt to NCAA hockey. Then, after playing some stronger teams, they both struggled a bit and the focus has shifted to Beniers, and now there is talk of him being a potential first overall selection over Johnson and Power. I really can't say. However, coming from the US National program, I think Beniers was better prepared for the NCAA than Johnson and Power. I get the sense that Beniers may be the better player right now, but Johnson and Power project to be the more "elite" players over time. Power's skating and offensive-instincts for his size are intriguing, and Johnson's puck control and creativity are rare. If those two continue developing, they could be stars, whereas I see Beniers with perhaps a limited ceiling but a "safer" bet to actually become an NHLer because of his tenaciousness and more well-rounded skillset.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with you on the "too far out" for Fantilli.
    Especially since some of these kids are just way to good for their MJHL leagues and light them up.
    It can be deceiving how solid they are until they actually start competing against CHL level competition.

Yah... Beniers & Johnson are probably better players to focus on.
    Michigan hockey has typically churned out very solid players.

Back in 2015-16, UM had a similarly stacked team with Connor, Compher, and Werenski.
    Connor and Werenski have turned out really well, probably exceding expectations of their draft position.

Quinn Hughes also played well there as a 17yr old in 2017-18, as did Josh Norris.

This year's stats:
    https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...070752021.html