Thread: Trading for Josi in a Dynasty

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading for Josi in a Dynasty

New dynasty cap league, first in signature. Been offered Josi for my G. Denisenko/R. Sandin/2021 1st. It's daily starts, and Denisenko/Sandin are both minor eligible, so their salaries don't count unless they're in the lineup, and I should have no problem getting both into my lineup when they do play (daily lineups). I'm definitely in a position to win-now.

I will likely begin the season with Pastrnak on IR, but when he comes back, I'll have to move someone like J. Manson to get under the cap if I take on Josi's contract.

In a perfect world Denisenko and Manson combined should get pretty close to matching Josi's output for a fraction of the cost. That said, am I insane to overthink this? Josi has at least 2-3 more seasons of elite production, but minor eligible productive prospects are basically free points.

My gut says it would be silly to pass up an elite D for the cost of two unproven prospects.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Trading for Josi in a Dynasty

It all comes down to cap management and you have to look further than just this year. I know in my cap leagues, I am looking AT LEAST two years out, if not three. Who do you have next year needing a new contract that is going to put you in a bind? Things like this is what you need to keep in mind. You are playing the long game here, not just the short one. I clicked on your link for your roster but it wont open at my work computer so I have no idea what your roster looks like.

If you think getting Josi is what helps you win this year, then you have to seriously consider this. If you think he just makes you better but you know there's still better teams, I am less excited about taking on that contract. I love Josi but that contract amount is something I'd put into my forwards, not my D.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks axe, yeah I didn't realize the commish had the league locked down. Roster is below (minor eligible players in bold). I'm definitely in a position to win, especially within my division, and I have as good a chance at top spot as anyone.

Evgeni Malkin
    David Pastrnak
    Nikolaj Ehlers
    Dominik Kubalik
    Alex Iafallo
    Evgenii Dadonov
    Andre Burakovsky
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Kaapo Kakko
    Yanni Gourde
    Nick Ritchie
    Calle Jarnkrok
    Dominik Kahun
    Zach Aston-Reese
    Nathan Bastian
    Grigori Denisenko
    Linus Sandin
    Mark Jankowski
    Antti Suomela
    Jason Robertson
    Brett Seney
    Filip Chlapik
    Rem Pitlick

Matt Dumba
    Mike Matheson
    Josh Manson
    Brinson Pasichnuk
    Riley Stillman
    Mike Reilly
    Oliver Kylington
    Rasmus Sandin
    Ryan Merkley
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, your D could use some help. As I say, if you think you can afford to roster him, and not tie your hands for the future both in the prospects you are giving up and in the cap space you are eating, Josi is a fantastic player. I just tend to avoid the high-paid Dmen as much as possible. He's one of the few worth the big bucks today but it will go away quickly as he gets older with lots of years left on his contract.

What is your league rules as far as dropping players under contract? Are you freely allowed to drop guys without penalty or do you have to buy them out if you want to drop them and have a cap penalty from the buyout (similar to the way the NHL does it)?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah I'm basically running a skeleton D corp. Rest of the league was all fighting it out over D in the draft, so I just focused on scooping up forwards.

No penalty for dropping players, anyone can be dropped at anytime.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Wizard

hocekey wise this is slam dank win for you...as Axe said, comes down to cap situation, i cant answer that for you but if he fits your structure for this and few more years go for it...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys, other GM decided to wait till the trade deadline anyway, which works for me. Gives me more time to see how the season shakes out and evaluate my team. And he doesn't trade him to one of my competitors! Win/win.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

I doubt Denisenko/manson provide you Josi production. I'm not 100% convinced Denisenko plays the full year with the Panthers for one. Manson is likely losing what little PP time he was ever alotted (Shattenkirk & Mahura)
    Sandin will spend 90-100% of the season in the AHL. Leafs have too many one way contracts in front of him (Including Marincin.... no digression.)

2021 1st. If you're a top team - it's not a huge add on price.

In a win now mode - this is a win now move. As long as cap is manageable for the next 2yrs. I pull the trigger (as soon as OGM steps back up).

It's a real solid return for the OGM as well. two almost ready high end prospects. about 2yrs away from making real contributions.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I doubt Denisenko/manson provide you Josi production. I'm not 100% convinced Denisenko plays the full year with the Panthers for one. Manson is likely losing what little PP time he was ever alotted (Shattenkirk & Mahura)
    Sandin will spend 90-100% of the season in the AHL. Leafs have too many one way contracts in front of him (Including Marincin.... no digression.)

2021 1st. If you're a top team - it's not a huge add on price.

In a win now mode - this is a win now move. As long as cap is manageable for the next 2yrs. I pull the trigger (as soon as OGM steps back up).

It's a real solid return for the OGM as well. two almost ready high end prospects. about 2yrs away from making real contributions.
    Not to mention he clears a TON of cap space.