Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 - 2021 NWHL Fantasy League Discussion

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2020 - 2021 NWHL Fantasy League Discussion

If there's an injury or someone opts out before the season starts then we can do a short set of replacement picks.
    Don't think we need a whole other round for bench players and whatnot.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fine with trades but I would say they have to be completed before the first game if you want to sort something out.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's crazy... but I've actually learned a lot about the NWHL simply from researching for this draft.
    I even found the "Ice Garden" site on SB Nation - which looks like the only opinionated/reader sourced area for discussing teams... and listened to one.whole.podcast!

In a Nutshell:

1. The BOSTON PRIDE... are... by far... the NWHL's top team. And they have... by far... the NWHL's top goalie. They'll probably go 5-0 in round-robin play and sweep playoffs, which makes Lovisa Selander good for 7pts via wins + maybe some shutouts. Had I known this in advance of my round 2/3 picks... I would've drafted her with one of those picks. (She was taken with the 2nd pick in round 3, by PenguinHunter - which will end up showing as a great pick). Apparently the Pride traded a bunch of picks to get the #1 overall - and took local Sammy Davis. Question is... how much playing time and points are available for the entire group.

2. The Minnesota Whitecaps and the Metropolitan Riveters are the next two. Last year it was Minnesota, but looks like the Riveters have added some firepower (Babstock) and a goalie (Sonjia Shelly). Slick move by somebody in researching that Shelly had switched from the lowly CT Whale (2 wins last season) to the Rivs. I decided to double up on the 2nd/3rd top Rivs forwards, hopefully that wins me the draft if the Rivs go to the finals. [But taking Selander would've been smarter move with my 2nd/3rd picks]

3. The Buffalo Beauts and the CT Whale bring up the 4th/5th spots. Didn't really want to touch any of these players... but I'm hoping #2 overall pick (CDN: Friesen) gets big ice-time for the Whale. Colton Orr is the coach of the CT Whale!!!

4. The Toronto Six are the expansion team... who traded away the #1 overall pick (Davis) for a stockload of picks. They probably realized that Davis wasn't going to join a team in Canada... and they might as well load up on picks. So... this team should (I believe) be a disaster in the tournament. Even though "Toronto" = Hockey... I think they'll have a serious problem putting up points against more developed teams.

5. Given that goalies are drafted from the top 3 teams... I'm probably punting goalies... I don't see more than 2wins for each of the bottom 3. 2pts, nah. Round9. I missed the boat on the good goalies.

Dobber Sports Titan

It is fun learning about a whole new league. I agree Boston is the team to beat, and we know that in part to the lack of turnover on their squad. The NWHL players can ONLY sign 1 year contracts, which means that having consecutive years as a good team means retaining the same players locally, and having a good staff to sell the players.

I'll disagree with the fact the Six are just throwing away the season by not drafting Davis and being the expansion team. I think they're actually more likely to be in the middle of the pack, as they have brought in a few NWHLers from last season, but also they had access to a whole recruitment pool in Canada that partially wasn't available to the US based teams.
    In the draft, I think they were targeting Gebhard and knew they couldn't sign Davis, so grabbing some extra picks was a great move, but it didn't change anything for their current level of competition. They likely won't be at the level of the Pride, but I think they can slide in as the number four team in the league with a very young roster.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'll disagree with the fact the Six are just throwing away the season by not drafting Davis and being the expansion team. I think they're actually more likely to be in the middle of the pack
    Well... this is sound logic re: the Canadian draft pool and one-year contracts.
    I'm still learning. Time to research the Six goalie. (Since PH is on the clock and has a goalie!)

Dobber Sports Titan

^I have no idea which of the two goalies is going to be the starter there. When I initially looked into it I figured it would be Chuli, but I can't remember now why that was.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm still learning. Time to research the Six goalie. (Since PH is on the clock and has a goalie!)
    I think everyone has a goalie now... If i didn't get 'The Queen' then I was going to wait and take a last round pick chance on Tera Hofmann.

Girl in a Hockey Song -
    Associating country music with my team name and Maddie & Tae have a catchy country song called 'A Girl in a Country Song' and it talks about common misconceptions that men make towards women.

S McKenna Brand Boston Pride
    S Christina Putigna Boston Pride
    S Emily Fluke Toronto Six
    S Meghan Lorence Whitecaps
    S Mallory Souliotis Boston Pride
    S Corinne Buie Whitecaps
    S Kristin Lewicki Beauts
    S Lindsay Eastwood Six
    G Lovisa Selander Boston Pride
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^I think you are the front-runner with that team.
    If the Pride runs a 5-game pre, then 2 playoff games, it's 7-10pts for her.
    Other goalies on the bottom teams are looking at maybe 1-3 pts.
    It was too late when I realized that the Pride/Selander was a juggernaut.

I actually changed tact and went non-Pride. (I support Pride... just not... these... Pride, LOL.)

The Alkytalkys
    (cause all these girl names seem to have As and Ls and Ks and Ts and Ys)

01. Allie Thundstrom (F) - Whitecaps
    12. Kelly Babstock (F) - Rivs
    13. Kate Leary (F) - Rivs
    24. Taylor Accursi (F) - Beauts
    25. Kayla Friesen (F) - Whale
    37. Alyssa Wohlfeiler (F) - Whale
    48. Kayce Anderson (F) - Whale
    49. Samantha Ridgewell (G) - Six

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, the goalies are definitely a big swing spot. I realized after the draft started that maybe I should have made wins worth two to bring up the bottom goalies and even things out, but it's all relative there and the draft had already started. Something to consider for next year anyways.

I was hoping to end up with one of the top four slots in the draft as I think there is a bit of a tier there. No dice, and you guys seemed on top of things from the start.

I managed to get a couple of the top players off of Boston, and then loaded up on Minny's second tier players (plus Russo - MTR).

I'm hoping that I can get three points or so out of Allie Morse (two games against weaker competition so two wins and a possible SO).

As for a team name, I'm going to have to think on it. Coming up empty so far:
    Mary Parker F (Bos)Tori Sullivan F (Bos)
    Kaleigh Fratkin D (Bos)
    Meaghan Pezon F (Min)
    Rebecca Russo F (Mtr)
    Lisa Martinson D (Min)
    Lauren Barnes F (Min)
    Haylea Schmid F (Min)
    Allie Morse G (Min)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    That's why I think we should have an extra round to have a bench player - some players may not show up or can't cross borders. Goalies were crapshoot after top 2. Was fun.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    That's why I think we should have an extra round to have a bench player - some players may not show up or can't cross borders. Goalies were crapshoot after top 2. Was fun.
    I don't think it'll be too much of an issue since they have things planned out and we have the bubble. If someone opts out before the first game then we'll definitely allow a replacement to be selected.

Glad you enjoyed the draft!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Team Name: Kilts
    - part of Tartan Army Fantasy Sports Empire
    - team colours will be Royal Stewart Tartan

Jillian Dempsey - Pride
    Sammy Davis - Pride
    Audra Richards - Whitecaps
    Mikyla Grant-Mentis - Six
    Breanne Wilson-Bennett - Six
    Meghara McManus - Pride
    Kayla Meneghin - Beauts
    Lauren Kelly - Pride
    Victoria Hanson (G) - Pride
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

I can play this name-that-roster game...

Wonder Women Warriors

Madison Packer (F) Riveters
    Jayne Lewis (F) Riveters
    Lexie Laing (F) Pride
    Tereza Vanisova (F) Pride
    Carlee Turner (F) Pride
    Emma Vlasic (F) Whale
    Brook Stacey (F) Beauts
    Lisa Chesson (D) Beauts
    Sonjia Shelly (GK) Riveters

...yeah, I know... you thought it’d be red foxes (photo)
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

^I might have gone with the Pride of Pickle Packers, but I like yours too

No one take this, I'm using it for the TIG league.

Dobber Sports Titan

For any of you guys looking to expand your NWHL fantasy horizons, there's another free fantasy contest taking place:

https://www.theicegarden.com/2021/1/...fantasy-hockey

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    For any of you guys looking to expand your NWHL fantasy horizons, there's another free fantasy contest taking place:

https://www.theicegarden.com/2021/1/...fantasy-hockey
    Have you entered? Where do you find the player values?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​