Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 - 2021 NWHL Fantasy League Discussion

Dobber Sports Titan

Default 2020 - 2021 NWHL Fantasy League Discussion

Hey all, for anyone interested I'm looking to organize a pool here for the NWHL, and their 2020-2021 season.

Their season is going to run Jan 23 to Feb 5 in a bubble, so with that kind of short timeline I'm thinking it makes the most sense to do a set-and-forget kind of league with a full draft where everyone counts. It will also likely have to be a slow draft on the forums as there don't seem to be any platforms set up for an NWHL draft.

Open to getting as many people as possible involved, and if there's enough interest we can run a few different leagues. With there being six NWHL teams, having more than six teams in a fantasy league would probably stretch things too thin, especially with the goalies.

Points for forwards and defensemen:
    Goals = 1
    Assists = 1

Points for goaltenders:
    Wins = 1
    Shutouts = 1

Rosters are going to be kept super simple with six teams involved:
    6F
    2D
    1G

Any stats you might need from the 2019-2020 season you can find here:
    https://www.nwhl.zone/stats#/100/leaders?season_id=1950

Rosters:
    https://twitter.com/michelle_jay3/st...49622540308482

GMs:
    Eskimo Brother
    Dr. Brad
    Magicstew
    Pengwin7
    PenguinHunter
    Metaldude26

Results:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by Eskimo Brother; January 26, 2021 at 5:16 PM.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2020 - 2021 NWHL Fantasy League

Just for the privilege of supporting women’s sports (ok, maybe that’s a reach), I’d be happy to join. This is going to take some research!! Sixteen players per fantasy team seems a lot, tho. With 4 GM’s that’s 10+ players from each of the 6 NWHL teams. Rosters of twelve??
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'll give it a GO too
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm in.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Just for the privilege of supporting women’s sports (ok, maybe that’s a reach), I’d be happy to join. This is going to take some research!! Sixteen players per fantasy team seems a lot, tho. With 4 GM’s that’s 10+ players from each of the 6 NWHL teams. Rosters of twelve??
    Awesome!
    I'm flexible if we want to make it a little smaller with the roster sizes, and if anyone has any other suggestions.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

is there still room?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    is there still room?
    Yup! You're the 5th one on the list. Five would be a solid number to do a fantasy league for the 6 team NWHL, but six is cool too.

If we get a sixth and then future interest, the future interest would be on a waiting list/League B list.

Administrator

I can be your huckleberry.

Curious about tweaking the number of players/positional requirements, etc.

I think it warrants doing some investigating about goalie splits, how condensed the schedule will be, where certain cutoff points for fantasy viability seem to be. If there's only a half-dozen viable defensemen how deep do we want to go there? Also, I see a number of players listed as both F/D. What to do about female Dustin Byfuglien's?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

All good points about the positional requirements and all. I plan on looking into it over the next couple days/weeks and should have a much better sense then.

Schedule wise it's going to be very different this year though as they have a condensed bubble as opposed to previous seasons where games were focused more on weekends.

Dobber Sports Titan

Alright, I have put a lot more time into this than I thought I would. I now have a complete database in an excel sheet of mine where I have last seasons stats, and went through and created scoring projections for every player the entire league. I also matched things up so all of the totals of expected goals, assists, goals against, wins, and saves all line up with paces from last season. I looked into a bit of NWHLe to be able to project the players coming in from the PWHPA, the NCAA, Europe, and others - but those are iffy at best.

Bottom line is, for the entire tournament teams should play between 7-9 games (if I have things understood properly). I have 12 defencemen projected at four points or more, and 38 forwards projected at four points or more. I think that's a good cutoff for skaters, and means we would each draft 6/2, or if people prefer we could just go 8 skaters, because there are actually a few that are F/D.
    For the goalies, at first I thought it made sense to run with six teams and we would just get their goalies, but really the backup from the Pride is likely more valuable than the starter from the Whale, so it's actually a little better balanced if we just draft a single goalie each.

I don't think it makes sense to be drafting just yet (especially since there's still a signing or two trickling in), and with 6x9=54 total players selected, I figure we can churn that out in a few days if necessary (but we can give it 2-3 weeks to be safe, so we'll start early January).

I'll probably also post up my projections and all that somewhere online before we start, but I'm just trying to sort out the best way to do that at the moment.

Dobber Sports Titan

Alright guys, if I get a thread set up next week are you guys all still good to go? (I'll send a PM around today or tomorrow as well.)

My projections are live: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...73F174a545wSs/

Anyone have any questions before we get started? 54 picks between the six of us shouldn't take more than a few days to get through it.

Administrator

I am still in. Excited to learn about some completely new players.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Count me in!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ready to go.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Excited to roll with this one!