Thread: Quinn Hughes

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Quinn Hughes

I've put Quinn Hughes on my trade block and am contemplating an offer to one of the teams in our league. Byfield (2nd overall pick) and Dach seems a bit of a large ask for just Hughes, but would a late 1st round pick balance that out. In our league the value of that pick might be something like Askarov or Tomasino (Rookie draft + any unowned players under 24).
    18 Team Full Keeper Start 10F, 3D, 1 G, 1 Flex Skater, 3 ​JR

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway
    D: Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Valimaki, Hughes, K Miller, ​Grzelcyk
    G: Holtby, Gibson, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Quinn Hughes

So you put Hughes on the block. Is the 2nd and Dach an offer YOU are thinking of proposing or something that has been offered to you?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So you put Hughes on the block. Is the 2nd and Dach an offer YOU are thinking of proposing or something that has been offered to you?
    I would be be making that offer

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway

Dobber Sports Deity

Then make it. Let them say it's too much.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Then i'll assume you think that ask is at least in the wheelhouse too. Hard to value a guy like Hughes doing what he did when other threads have established names like Rantanen and Point as the return as opposed to going for other young players.

F:

The Great One

I don't know if that's too much to ask. It is really hard to gauge value of dmen in other leagues. That said, Hughes is one of the most valuable dmen in many formats, partially because of hype and his youth. I mean, he scored 53 freakin' points IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON! I know we have been spoiled lately with some crazy talented dmen entering the league, but what Hughes did hadn't been done since...Brian Leetch? Maybe it was Housley. I can't actually remember the last dman to score 50+ pts in his rookie season (obviously I'm not talking about Makar).

Byfield and Dach are going to be great some day, but Hughes is already great and will continue to be great for a long, long time.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would keep Hughes. As SeaDawg mentioned above, he is crazy popular right now (I'd argue tied with Makar), and has the full talent and potential to keep that train moving. If you are offering him to other GMs, I personally would see what comes back. If you make an offer, you're giving away what you will take which can dictate offers you receive (should it become known).
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    I would keep Hughes. As SeaDawg mentioned above, he is crazy popular right now (I'd argue tied with Makar), and has the full talent and potential to keep that train moving. If you are offering him to other GMs, I personally would see what comes back. If you make an offer, you're giving away what you will take which can dictate offers you receive (should it become known).
    I second this. I don't see any good reason why you should be trading Hughes, especially in that type of deal. I personally would never trade a young superstar for unproven--although promising--prospects.

What he did in only his first season in the NHL as a D-man it better than the peak of 90% of guys in the league. He's only going to get better. Your team also seems like a contender for an 18 team league (especially if you can upgrade in nets), which should give you even more incentive to hold onto Hughes--as he'll provide you with a lot more value in the immediate future than any prospect you get back.
    C: MacKinnon, Eriksson Ek, Schmaltz, Bennett, Vilardi
    W: Forsberg, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Keller, M Tkachuk, Tippett, Vatrano, Tolvanen, Drouin,
    D: Carlson, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Chychrun, Hanifin, Durzi, Ekholm, Martinez
    G: Skinner, Talbot, Kochetkov, Rittich

Minors: Geekie, Mateychuk, Knight, Portillo

Categories:
    Goals & Assists = 1 point each
    SOG, Hits, Blks = 0.1 each
    PPP = 0.5
    +/- = 0.25

Goalie Categories: SV = 0.1, W = 2, SO = 3, L = -2, GA = -0.5

Start 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G
    12 Player Keeper - 15 Teams

Dobber Sports Jedi

here's my concern.
    You have 3 legit Dmen in your sig if you trade Hughes - Josi, Theodore, Carlson.
    You start 3D. you lose one to an injury your replacement becomes Edler, Miller or Grz -- not good.

For an 18tm league you've got a really solid 10F's. 5 legit studs.

I would think this is a top 5 team in your pool.

Making this move doesn't help you now. it only hurts. More than possible that Hughes ends up ahead of Theodore this season in your format.

I could see making this deal or putting Hughes on the block if the GM just took over a team and it was shallow on talent and was using this as an opportunity to obtain high end depth.

if you're contending. This move is counter-intuitive
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4