Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jays looking at building a new ball park?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Jays looking at building a new ball park?

Seems like that's the buzz around Toronto this morning.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status...92543837577218

The Toronto Blue Jays owners want to demolish the Rogers Centre and build a new privately-funded downtown Toronto stadium,
    @globeandmail reports in a front-page story. Rogers said to be looking at rebuild on current stadium location. Backup plans include a lakefront site.
    https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status...02636964581378

According to the Globe, new stadium construction would take 5-8 years. While Rogers wants a new ballpark near the existing one, it is also looking at waterfront sites such as the 12-acre property where Sidewalk Labs abandoned plans to build a smart-city project, Globe reports.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Default Re: Jays looking at building a new ball park?

I guess it is more cost-effective to build a new stadium, but I'm always surprised at the wastefulness of demolishing these buildings.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

big question would be....where they play while this is going on? Wonder if Buffalo experience gave them some ideas...

its been long said that next major sports arena/stadium should be on the outskirts and out of the down town core which would make if more friendly for fans to go to. Down town can be very taxing just go to for few minutes.

This is specially true for baseball imo, its 3 times a week at home stadium on average through the whole season...i think they would find it easier to sell out those not so sexy games if it was somewhere north or west of Toronto.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    big question would be....where they play while this is going on? Wonder if Buffalo experience gave them some ideas...

its been long said that next major sports arena/stadium should be on the outskirts and out of the down town core which would make if more friendly for fans to go to. Down town can be very taxing just go to for few minutes.

This is specially true for baseball imo, its 3 times a week at home stadium on average through the whole season...i think they would find it easier to sell out those not so sexy games if it was somewhere north or west of Toronto.
    It depends where they actually end up building it. If it's in the same spot, they will have to figure something out. If it's their backup plan and build it near the water front, they could always play in the same building until the new one is built.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It depends where they actually end up building it. If it's in the same spot, they will have to figure something out. If it's their backup plan and build it near the water front, they could always play in the same building until the new one is built.
    yeah i guess the way it was reading it sounded like same spot ...i think they are quite limited with what they can build and where lol...Ontario place would be pretty cool but i have no idea whats going on with that place and how its being developed...Around woodbine to me be ideal but public transit may not be developed enough in that area as is. Be interesting to hear more as this story develops.

....yet Crickets on NHL front lol! really looking forward to news on that front...assuming this coming week we will learn a lot...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

So the land the Skydome is on is gov't owned. So there's prolly a reason why the backup plan is move the stadium to another part of the city. Rogers bought the Skydome in 2004 for like 25mill, because the deal only included the stadium and not the land. I'm sure Rogers doesn't ideally want to lose that spot, but I'm also sure they'll end up doing something where they make money off that spot.

Secondly, it's like the 6th oldest stadium, so I get why there are plans to build a new one. However, man it's sad to think it's going to be replaced. My dad was part of building it and we own a square of the original turf. So there's a bunch of nostalgia for me.

My final thoughts on this was I'm sad, but if it's privately funded, go for it. I can't think of a recent stadium privately funded, so gotta go for it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

While I understand the sentiment of it being replaced.....hollllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy have I been dying for an outdoor baseball stadium in Toronto. On the water? Even better. I have been to PNC, Yankee Stadium and Coors and I'm telling you nothing beats the outdoor atmosphere and feeling I get going to games like that.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    While I understand the sentiment of it being replaced.....hollllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy have I been dying for an outdoor baseball stadium in Toronto. On the water? Even better. I have been to PNC, Yankee Stadium and Coors and I'm telling you nothing beats the outdoor atmosphere and feeling I get going to games like that.
    Sadly a dome will be 100% part of the design.

Dobber Sports Deity

Isn't an open dome the same thing as an outdoor atmosphere?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Isn't an open dome the same thing as an outdoor atmosphere?
    No. The SkyDome was a cement block. To me it always felt clustered and indoors regardless of the dome being open.

Dobber Sports Deity

No. The SkyDome was a cement block. To me it always felt clustered and indoors regardless of the dome being open.
    I wont lie and say I am a aficionado when it comes to ball parks because I have only every been to a couple major league parks but I have been to the Skydome for games when the dome was open and closed. I could feel a big difference in the air in general when the dome was open. I like the idea of having an open park, but I dont like the idea of games getting cancelled due to inclement weather either.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I wont lie and say I am a aficionado when it comes to ball parks because I have only every been to a couple major league parks but I have been to the Skydome for games when the dome was open and closed. I could feel a big difference in the air in general when the dome was open. I like the idea of having an open park, but I dont like the idea of games getting cancelled due to inclement weather either.
    Very true I don't want that either. Hopefully it can be like (I believe) Arizona where it's a modified adjustable roof.

Dobber Sports Titan

Very true I don't want that either. Hopefully it can be like (I believe) Arizona where it's a modified adjustable roof.
    It will be a dome just for other venues that happen during the winter. With the Raptors/Leafs in the ACC during the winter, they need a facility to host things as an alternative. It will be some form of fully covered diamond, however it'll be more updated and less claustrophobic when it's closed.

I'd hope they'd go with something more like the Marlins, or Rangers new stadium. A retractable roof that's not a dome where the sides feel very high, and very closed in with seating all the way around. With the seating going from like 55,000 to 35,000 it'll likely not feel as high, and when sitting close to the field you won't feel like it's towering over you. (however, acoustics might not allow a flat roof like other stadiums)

The Skydome was always a concrete eye soar, so is the ACC. I feel like this is designed into a possible Toronto weather possibility with the range of weather we get. With updated/modernized materials/designs, I would hope it's not that concrete eye soar and there's more fan based engineering put into it.

The behind the scenes stuff for the Skydome is really cool tho to make it work as a baseball diamond, football field, temporary basketball field, concert venue, monster truck venue, WWE venue at one point (I think).

Side note - if the Jays play in the playoffs in the new stadium and it's a retractable roof stadium and the weather is cold, but sunny, I wonder if they'll make the team shut the roof like they did with the Skydome back in 2015.

Dobber Sports Master

couldnt they just built it at the port lands ? lord knows that area could use some help

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    couldnt they just built it at the port lands ? lord knows that area could use some help
    Prolly something about ownership of the Sidewalk Labs land. To keep the price down and keep it privately funded, it would need to have some deal with the land. Sidewalk Labs is also only like a 20min walk from the Port Lands.