Thread: Meier vs Fiala

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Meier vs Fiala

Do these guys have a similar career trajectory?

Sort of an interesting comparison, both from Switzerland, both 1996s, Fiala drafted 11th overall and Meier 9th, Meier 0.597 ppg so far in his career, Fiala 0.547, both left shots, etc.

A lot of people seemed hyped up on Fiala after last season in Minny, and with good young talent coming in, while Meier had a poor start last year but did fine overall after that but Sharks hopefully will be healthier this season and bounce back.

Fiala is ranked 51st on Dobber's nov keeper rankings (100.5) and Meier at 79th (84.6), so I'm surprise such a gap considering +/- 5 pts is considered equal value.

Fiala will be in the draft whenever that happens, and Meier is a keeper for me at the moment but not sure what I'm going to do with him yet (hang onto, or buy out, or move with a pick for purposes of buyout by other team), of course if I move on from him he'll go back into the draft as well.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Meier vs Fiala

Interesting compare for sure. And given you league which appears to be points only rather than Multi Cat, I would agree with Dobbers ranking (which I believe is based on points).

I think With Fiala having Broken out, and still waiting on a full breakout by Meier, that constitutes Fiala’s higher value. Meier will improve in points only but will he pass Fiala? I’m not so sure. In a multi cat league I think the scales tip more toward Meier and a breakout. But I agree that he’s currently at the bottom of your depth chart based on your roster shown in Sig. if I could get Fiala for Meier I’d do that. But not to say Meier isn’t valuable in your league, just agree he’s at the bottom of your team currently with potential.

Interesting compare nonetheless.

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Meier's upside as much as Fiala's. Very similar upside for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I think both players have similar upside/potential, but opportunity is a key factor here. Fiala is on the top line and top power play in Minnesota. Meier could be on the second line and second power play unit. Without a guarantee of prime minutes for Meier, I'm sticking with Fiala.

Meier is a nice sleeper pick, though. If he does move up the lineup and if he starts getting 1st line and 1st pp deployment, he may be able to eclipse his career high of 66 pts from a couple years ago.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think we already had this topic few weeks back so you shoudl try to find it and see the answers there...

For points only i do prefer Fiala atm but i do agree is close...Meier has great talent but he does so many thing right that his offensive numbers may suffer just slightly and giving Fiala an edge.

your points per game assessment is interesting as its very close but they got there in two very different ways. Meier was up and down where Fiala was very average up until the trade to mini and then he exploded.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Both are good players, and I'm not sure you'd go wrong either way. I have them on my roster, and they're fighting with Larkin for my last 2 keeper slots up front.

Having watched both players fairly regularly, I think Fiala has more raw offensive talent/upside, and also more opportunity. He's basically "the guy" in Minnesota now, and will get all of the prime power play minutes, etc. And he has the potential to play with Kaprizov and Rossi, which could be deadly. Meier, on the other hand, is still fighting for ice time and seems to struggle more on the power play, despite his talent. So in your format, I lean Fiala. In a multi-cat, with all those hits, momentum swings towards Meier.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**