Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blowing it up trade

The Great One

Default Re: Blowing it up trade

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Blowing it up usually occurs when the season is half over and your guys aren’t producing. Not a month and a half before it’s even started. Don’t make a trade for the sake of making a trade and stop overvaluing guys who haven’t even played a game in the league yet. Patience. Don’t make this trade.
    Bullsnot. Blowing it up means what I want it to mean and occurs when I want it to. My team has historically been a contender now in the off season Im looking to trade veterans for youth and upside. I am ...ahem... "blowing it up".

Sometimes you wont get a guy if you wait too long- sometimes lose value if you wait too long- Malkin being a prime candidate. If Tippett gets L1 status with Barkov and Huberdeau his value goes up immensely. I understand the concept of patience and maybe Im not asking enough here- fair enough- but waiting for the sake of waiting because its the off season is not great advice. Sometimes being patiet is the right tack sometimes being proactive is. I think proactive is the right play here- but Id agree that the return is not enough..

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Blowing it up trade

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    I'd even say you should get more for Malkin than just Yamamoto and a 2nd. You should always try for at least 2 decent promising players for a stud if you are rebuilding. The original trade is just giving guys away. Dont get too attached on specific prospects. That's how you end up losing trades. Shop around for the best price. And only trade one player at a time. When you bunch together assets the return gets more underwhelming.

As an example. I recently moved Marchand for Meier, tippett and Jason Robertson. That is the kind of return you should aim for when moving a Malkin. Dont settle because you're feeling high on a single prospect.
    This

Especially the bolded - soon as you combo stars you lose value. 99/100 times.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4