Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blowing it up trade

The Great One

Default Blowing it up trade

I know I make a lot of trades and some appear "willy nily" but its usually while Im getting a team to where I like it. Ive had this team the ongest and had it generally where I liked it so havent made many trades up until the deadline last year when I made two blockbusters that sent out Burns/Bishop in one and marchand in the other. I netted some great pieces there but due to a unique league format Im actually still very competetive as we only start a shallow forward group. In any case the following trade probably takes me "fully" out of contention for at least a year but I think gives me a better young core to build around.

My Malkin, Gaudreau and J Anderson
    For
    Holtz, Yamomoto and Tippett

To me Holtz is the key- we had a deal for just Gaudreau and Anderson for Yamomoto and Tpett but I didnt think it was worth it to cash in on that kind of proven tlent for "just" upside unless you had the type of u[pside that Holtz presents.

Thpughts?

My league is G4, A3, Sog/pim0.5, ST+1, D men +/- adds or subtracts 3 per

My team:
    C- Malkin, Kopitar, Trochek, Suzuki, Glass
    W- Gaudreau, Vrana. Gusev, Anderson, Skinner, Milno, N Robertson Kase
    D- Klingberg, Hronek, Klefbom, Toews, Weegar
    G- Kuemper, Raanta, Ullmark, Nilsson, Nedj
    C-

The Great One

Default Re: Blowing it up trade

Part of the “Willy nilly” perception comes from when you post things like you “accidentally” traded for Vatanen. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Part of the “Willy nilly” perception comes from when you post things like you “accidentally” traded for Vatanen. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    Its true though- that one I was mixing up him and severson th whole time- lol! I can still live with the trade mind you- not a dealbreaker but if Im being honest it was an accident lol!!!

Im debating sending an offer of Malkin for yamomoto and a second. The other owner had sent an offer of Malkin and Josh Anderson for Yamomoto and Tippett at one point so Im wondering if just Yamomoto for Malk makes sense. As a re-building team the premise makes sense but I know I take a pretty big short term hit especially because yams likely not even on pp1 . Is that a move you make???

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think you have switched between "blowing it up" and "rebuilding a contender" a few times this offseason. My suggestion would be pick a lane and bowl.

If your team is competitive, I don't see why you would blow it up.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    I think you have switched between "blowing it up" and "rebuilding a contender" a few times this offseason. My suggestion would be pick a lane and bowl.

If your team is competitive, I don't see why you would blow it up.
    Different teams- Ive been rebuiding this team since the trade deadline last year.

So lane picked (definitively)- any suggestions on which ball to use? How to approach the pins? Some feedback about the trade would be Fnaantastic

Dobber Sports Wizard

i agree that you keep bouncing and making trades to make trades and thats never good ...however,

I would keep Anderson, and ask for another good piece for other 2 in order to make the trade..maybe first rounder. This trade is as, is very one sided.

if you split it up, to get good value you shoudl be looking at something like Gudreau for for Holtz and Tippet and Malkin for Yammamoto and 1st.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

It's a terrible deal for you.
    Gaudreau alone should net you Holtz and Yamamoto in my view.
    Giving up Malkin who still has game and J.Anderson who has nowhere but up to go is ill-advised.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My bad, didn't see it was another league. Agree with others, don't like the trade itself.

For each of those young players you're basically crossing your fingers that they become as productive as the player you're sending out. On top of that Anderson and Gaudreau are both coming off down seasons, so their value is depressed. I'd want at least two of those young players for Gaudreau or Malkin alone.

The Great One

Thank you guys.

I sent out Malkin for Yamomoto and a 2nd...

Likely keep gaudreau- was never in a rush to move him- he was just not interested in moving Holtz and I thought that ight open up the door to get a Holtz deal done- or as part of one bigger deal.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd even say you should get more for Malkin than just Yamamoto and a 2nd. You should always try for at least 2 decent promising players for a stud if you are rebuilding. The original trade is just giving guys away. Dont get too attached on specific prospects. That's how you end up losing trades. Shop around for the best price. And only trade one player at a time. When you bunch together assets the return gets more underwhelming.

As an example. I recently moved Marchand for Meier, tippett and Jason Robertson. That is the kind of return you should aim for when moving a Malkin. Dont settle because you're feeling high on a single prospect.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    I'd even say you should get more for Malkin than just Yamamoto and a 2nd. You should always try for at least 2 decent promising players for a stud if you are rebuilding. The original trade is just giving guys away. Dont get too attached on specific prospects. That's how you end up losing trades. Shop around for the best price. And only trade one player at a time. When you bunch together assets the return gets more underwhelming.

As an example. I recently moved Marchand for Meier, tippett and Jason Robertson. That is the kind of return you should aim for when moving a Malkin. Dont settle because you're feeling high on a single prospect.
    Fair point- I was getting caught up on Holtz and I think thats the problem. You dont think yamomoto and a second is good for Malkin??

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would not make this trade. Malkin is still Malkin, meaning elite numbers.

Gaudreau is a tier below, but being a tier below Malking is still a solid player.

Whereas the 3, it is all about upside.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Fair point- I was getting caught up on Holtz and I think thats the problem. You dont think yamomoto and a second is good for Malkin??
    Yamamoto and Holtz and I would do it. But that 2nd isnt going to be a player that I think would be good enough to move Malkin for. You're really banking on yamamotos ceiling. And while that is high for sure, his floor is also very low.

Dobber Sports Ace

I do not like this deal for you at all. Stick with what you have here.

The Great One

Blowing it up usually occurs when the season is half over and your guys aren’t producing. Not a month and a half before it’s even started. Don’t make a trade for the sake of making a trade and stop overvaluing guys who haven’t even played a game in the league yet. Patience. Don’t make this trade.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch