Thread: Shesterkin vs forward prospect vs Kubalik

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Shesterkin vs forward prospect vs Kubalik

Hi guys,

Is it that time of the year yet? Where I need to make these close call, tough decisions, for my three fantasy leagues? Sure hope so.

Let's start with fantasy league #1. Points only. 18 teams. Finished 6th two years ago, and 4th last year. I have my eyes on the podium this year, as #1 will be tough to catch up as back-to-back winner with a strong team.

Last year, I owned a late 1st, and a bottom team offered straight up their 2020 1st for my late first. I snapped agreed, and been rewarded with the 5th overall pick.

I'm stuck in the middle of rebuilding teams, so I'm pretty sure I'll be the only who won't mind for lower upside/higher floor

You know who the prospects are. Lafrenière, Byfield and likely Stutzle will go as three of the top four picks.

Also available is Igor Shesterkin.

My goalie depth (only 1 G counts) is Rask and Demko. I'm dropping Schneider this year.
    But I've sold most of my prospect pool in the past two years. So, adding a blue chip forward could become an helpful trade (or mid to long term) asset to my team.
    Finally, getting a Kubalik and his 60 points could help. But yet, I've been known in the past years for having the best depth, but not as many high-end players as others (my top guy is Scheifele, but we count our best 12 forwards and I've had the best 7 to 12th forwards for two years straight).

Really, down the line, I'd just like some MORE input on the likely available guys : Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti and Raymond being those that I think can become the best fantasy-wise players. How stupid is it to waste a chance at a 70-80 point guy for a #1 goalie, or how confident are you in Demko transitionning into a #1 while Rask fades away? Or how much love does this community still gives to Kubalik for last year's heroics?

Any input is a good excuse to chat about fantasy hockey, and is welcome.

PS : Right now, I feel like Holtz is my guy, but I *might* be influenced by his strong performances with my Seattle team on NHL21.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, ?, ?
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, ?, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Klingb Brannstrom Bean Peru Soderstrom Clarke
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Shesterkin vs forward prospect vs Kubalik

I'd draft Shesterkin if I could and trade one of your other goalies for your forward help, preferably Rask. To be honest, I'll be shocked if Shesterkin makes it to you at five anyway but if he did, that's what I would do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lusshouse View Post
    Hi guys,

Is it that time of the year yet? Where I need to make these close call, tough decisions, for my three fantasy leagues? Sure hope so.

Let's start with fantasy league #1. Points only. 18 teams. Finished 6th two years ago, and 4th last year. I have my eyes on the podium this year, as #1 will be tough to catch up as back-to-back winner with a strong team.

Last year, I owned a late 1st, and a bottom team offered straight up their 2020 1st for my late first. I snapped agreed, and been rewarded with the 5th overall pick.

I'm stuck in the middle of rebuilding teams, so I'm pretty sure I'll be the only who won't mind for lower upside/higher floor

You know who the prospects are. Lafrenière, Byfield and likely Stutzle will go as three of the top four picks.

Also available is Igor Shesterkin.

My goalie depth (only 1 G counts) is Rask and Demko. I'm dropping Schneider this year.
    But I've sold most of my prospect pool in the past two years. So, adding a blue chip forward could become an helpful trade (or mid to long term) asset to my team.
    Finally, getting a Kubalik and his 60 points could help. But yet, I've been known in the past years for having the best depth, but not as many high-end players as others (my top guy is Scheifele, but we count our best 12 forwards and I've had the best 7 to 12th forwards for two years straight).

Really, down the line, I'd just like some MORE input on the likely available guys : Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti and Raymond being those that I think can become the best fantasy-wise players. How stupid is it to waste a chance at a 70-80 point guy for a #1 goalie, or how confident are you in Demko transitionning into a #1 while Rask fades away? Or how much love does this community still gives to Kubalik for last year's heroics?

Any input is a good excuse to chat about fantasy hockey, and is welcome.

PS : Right now, I feel like Holtz is my guy, but I *might* be influenced by his strong performances with my Seattle team on NHL21.
    I would also grab the goalie if he is there. If him and 3 top Fs are gone grab Rossi...looks like he will help this year
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

I am in agreement with both of the above!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

I know my league pretty well.

I'd be surprised if Shesterkin get drafted in the top-5.

In the past 10 years, the only goalies drafted in the first round were recently becoming Sharks' starter Martin Jones (went 10th), recently becoming Stars starter Bishop (went 12th) and recently becoming relevant Bobrovsky (went 9th).

I expect Shersterkin to get picked in this 8th to 12th zone because he's both a starter AND a prospect of some kind.

So I see people are really high on Shesterkin. I'm not dumb to consider him too ahead of Rossi.

Thanks. If more people want to chime in, feel free!

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Superstar

to reiterate, if Igor falls to you at five take him, the boi is gouda.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Take Igor, you wont be disappointed doing so. I suspect Rask has a few years left tops before retirement, and Igor solidifies your net for years to come on one of the most exciting rebuilt teams in the Rangers. If you can move Rask for a strong forward, then you win on both fronts.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Take Igor Shestyorkin at 5 if he's there. You can't go wrong with that pick. If he's gone, I'd shift focus to Rossi. Although he was just drafted, he seems NHL ready already, and there's a glaring hole down Minnesota's center core that's just salivating for him to take over. He should help immediately--especially if he has a strong camp and wins the job. There's no threat or competition with him for that top C spot in Minny.

Give him the top C spot and Kaprizov and Fiala as his wingers, and he's in a golden spot for the immediate and long term future of his career.
    C: MacKinnon, Eriksson Ek, Schmaltz, Bennett, Vilardi
    W: Forsberg, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Keller, M Tkachuk, Tippett, Vatrano, Tolvanen, Drouin,
    D: Carlson, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Chychrun, Hanifin, Durzi, Ekholm, Martinez
    G: Skinner, Talbot, Kochetkov, Rittich

Minors: Geekie, Mateychuk, Knight, Portillo

Categories:
    Goals & Assists = 1 point each
    SOG, Hits, Blks = 0.1 each
    PPP = 0.5
    +/- = 0.25

Goalie Categories: SV = 0.1, W = 2, SO = 3, L = -2, GA = -0.5

Start 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G
    12 Player Keeper - 15 Teams

Hey,

Draft is tonight.

It appears as if Lafrenière will go first, and then for some reason, rumour has it that #2 will go for Stuetzle (yeah, there a bias against power forwards in my league. A couple of guys love those high-skilled, fewer points guys, just because they are cool to watch play). And guy at #3 says he has no interest in Byfield, whatever that means.

I think it leads two paths :

1. Laf
    2. Stuetzle
    3. I'm guessing Raymond or Rossi
    4. I'm guessing Byfield
    5. ME

or

1. Laf
    2. Gets logic back and picks up Byfield
    3. Stuetzle
    4. One of Rossi or Raymond I'm guessing.
    5. ME

There's 0 interest in either Rask or Demko right now. Biggest scare is to be stuck with the choice between Demko and Shesterkin next season as I'll be able to protect only one of them.

Feels like a lot of love for Shesterkin here.

What's the limit? Says the impossible happens : I pick Byfield at 5, right?
    Has Rossi or Raymond got any love recently?

It feels like in context (my team), Demko's presence makes Shesterkin's pick a little less valuable?

Right now, I think my move is to trade back to 8th and gain a 3rd round pick, and I'm pretty confident Shesterkin will still be available there at 8th.

4th has Merzlekins and loves him
    6th has Sorokin and desperately needs young forwards as his core is pretty old
    7th might have interest, but he's also looking to trade up, he's just cheaper than 8th.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Ended up trading down from 5th to 8th. Added a 2nd round pick for a fourth in that swap.

Would have gotten Raymond there.

Got Shesterkin 8th. And Mikheyev in the second round.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Well done. Getting Shesterkin was the right call.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

nicely done