Thread: Lehner or Markstrom?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Lehner or Markstrom?

First, ignore my team below. That's another league. The league in question here is a salary cap dynasty league where goalies hold moderate value but it only makes sense to keep one non-minor eligible goalie. I have Georgiev as my eligible backup.

Cap is really key here and there's no way I have room to keep Both Lehner and Markstrom so I need to choose one and am struggling to choose which. Lehner is 5mil and Markstrom 6mil, so Lehner is cheaper. But who will give more value?

H2H league where SV, W, SHO, GAA and SV% are valued equally and you need to win the category each week.

Thanks
    12 team dynasty, H2H points, no cap, no max games
    12F (4 slots per pos), 6D, 2G, 32 players + 21 minor slots, minors eligibility <80 GP
    G: 4 / A: 2 / / Blk, Hit, SOG: 0.5 / Goalie W: 3 / Shutout: 1 / STP: 1 / SV% >.92: 1 / SV: 0.25

C: Eichel, Trochek, Barzal, Suzuki,
    W: Draisaitl, Ehlers, Dubois, Buchnevich, Necas, Debrusk, McCann, Jarvis
    D: Hughes, Morissey, Chychrun, Bouchard, Pionk, Parayko, McNabb
    G: Ullmark, Hart, Grubauer, Korpisalo

Prospects:
    Knies, Reichel, Kemell, Robertson
    Sandstrom

The Great One

Default Re: Lehner or Markstrom?

Lehner the clear winner for me. Cheaper on a better team. Done.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Jedi

Markstrom will give you more starts.
    Lehner is playing behind the much better team.

Vegas added AP & Cgy lost Brodie.

both put up stellar numbers on mediocre teams the past two seasons. (Pre-Vegas trade for Lehner)

If you need starts - Markstrom is your bang for buck.
    I think Lehner outshines Markstrom at the end of the season on the stat-line.

My candidate for Vezina winner - Lehner if he grabs enough starts from MAF.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Markstrom will give you more starts.
    Lehner is playing behind the much better team.

Vegas added AP & Cgy lost Brodie.

both put up stellar numbers on mediocre teams the past two seasons. (Pre-Vegas trade for Lehner)

If you need starts - Markstrom is your bang for buck.
    I think Lehner outshines Markstrom at the end of the season on the stat-line.

My candidate for Vezina winner - Lehner if he grabs enough starts from MAF.
    Thorough and spot-on analysis here. I think lucafen nailed it.
    I do think Calgary bounces back a bit and is better than they showed last year. But that's more hunch than anything.
    Lehner is my choice here too (and I own both).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Calgary might be a bit over-evaluated, and not that much of a fan of a bounceback.
    If Vegas trusted Lehner enough to ruin MAF during these playoffs, they won't be ashamed to do so next season.

Lehner will win you more categories, I think, and is 1M cheaper. He's my pick here.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

Dobber Sports Monster

I agree with Lehner but it's very close for me. I still wonder what impact all of the changes Vegas made will have. They lost their depth at C and lost some other guys. Adding AP should help a lot but I do wonder if MAF gets extra starts due to the condensed schedule we are all expecting and perhaps some showcasing to move MAF. On the ice I can see it going either way, but the 1m does make it lean slightly to Lehner.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I agree with Lehner but it's very close for me. I still wonder what impact all of the changes Vegas made will have. They lost their depth at C and lost some other guys. Adding AP should help a lot but I do wonder if MAF gets extra starts due to the condensed schedule we are all expecting and perhaps some showcasing to move MAF. On the ice I can see it going either way, but the 1m does make it lean slightly to Lehner.
    Did they really lose depth at center, or open up opportunities for others beating down the door who are cheaper? That's the way I see it. Guys like Glass and Roy both forced their hand to make the Stastny trade. They're ready.

As far as the goalies go, short term I prefer Markstrom by a hair but if/when Vegas can shed Fleury, Lehner moves up for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I think Lehner will be a top goalie for the next 2-3 years now and people are slow on the uptake.Hes now an elite goalie on an elite team without an incumbent or any real competetion- the stars line up that so rarely- Hes a top 3 imho- right after the two young russians- vasy and shesty...

Dobber Sports Ace

Lehner - especially with AP added. If I were Markstrom, I would have stayed in Vancouver to finish the drive to the cup as they are well on their way in team & player growth. He made it through the hard part, and looked pretty darn good doing it - against pedigree odds. smh...
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I will go against the grain and make the argument for Markstrom. Flames paid big bucks for Markstrom so rest assured he will be league`s no. 1 workhorse. Lehner on the other hand could be in a serious time share with Fleury over next two seasons until Fleury`s contract expires. Hence, almost certain Lehner ends up with significantly less starts than Markstrom over that period. Markstrom can hold his own with Lehner wrt GAA, SV%, SHO so take the extra Ws and SVs Markstrom will give you and run.

The Great One

Fleury will not be in Vegas at the expiry of his contract. Vegas will keep him as a hedge in case Lehner turns into a pumpkin this season. Which he won’t. Then they’ll trade him to someone who’s goalie does turn into a pumpkin. Like Pittsburgh or Chicago. Fluery will go if it’s somewhere he can be the starter again.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Fleury will not be in Vegas at the expiry of his contract. Vegas will keep him as a hedge in case Lehner turns into a pumpkin this season. Which he won’t. Then they’ll trade him to someone who’s goalie does turn into a pumpkin. Like Pittsburgh or Chicago. Fluery will go if it’s somewhere he can be the starter again.
    Maybe, maybe not.