Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trade Up

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Trade Up

Nicely done! You have to think the goal scorer picked 8th overall by Buffalo is going to be more valuable than the Dmen or wildcard you picked up with 21 and 26.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Bit lucky / surprised really. The guy who picked Amirov at 12 paid a similar price to mine to trade up.

I was certain he would take Quinn.

Dobber Sports Genius

I wasn’t clear...

What actual NHL player could the OP has got for #13 in a 1-1 deal.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    What actual NHL player could the OP has got for #13 in a 1-1 deal.
    If that was a response to my surprise / lucky comment, note that I am the OP.

I was just expressing that I was fortunate to get Quinn at 13. Especially after someone traded up to 12. I was sure he traded up to get Quinn, but then he took Amirov instead.

I knew there was some risk of not getting one of the consensus top 10 forwards at pick 13. It almost happened that I didn't get one of them.

Dobber Sports Genius

65jeff - you did great in your trade and pick.

What I was trying to ask was if there was anyone sniffing around pick 13 and if you could trade that pick you just got for an NHL player who is further along in their development.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks Moses,

I could quite possibly do what you suggest. I'm sure there will be sniffs.

My one reservation regarding doing so is the state of my team. I took over just recently and it is awful. In order not to waste the extra development from the NHL player I receive, I'd need to make many such trade ups and I just don't have the assets to do it.

The team was loaded with bad contracts, retiring players and a neglected minors. Several players in the minors hadn't played anywhere for over two years.

This is a long-term project. I doubt the league will be around long enough for my team to be good.

It's my first really deep league and my first cap league, so I hope to learn something.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I do appreciate all the advice I've received here in the thread.

Thanks heaps to all!

Dobber Sports Genius

Now I am curious how bad this team is and if it even can be saved in a 24 team league. Do you mind posting it?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Now I am curious how bad this team is and if it even can be saved in a 24 team league. Do you mind posting it?
    I confess I made the team somewhat worse by goofing a trade. But it was pretty bad to start with.

The team had that I have since dropped:
    Hanzal
    Bouwmeester
    Seabrook
    Skinner
    Niskanen
    Budaj

I was able to buy out Skinner and Seabrook at no cost (1 per year allowed per league rules, plus another for new managers). I have one remaining free buy out granted as a concession for taking this bad team that I will use on Gardiner or Keith.

I have acquired Nash, Carrier, Martinez, Pesce and Gardiner as part of trades to dump cap or clear roster room. I acquired 2020 picks 21, 35 and 46 and a 2021 2nd in those deals without giving up anything significant. I can probably afford to take one or two more contracts as cap dumps in the regular season to get another pick or two. I am being careful the players I'm taking are on relatively short deals, mainly so I can keep taking more contracts in exchange for picks.

Fortunately the team had 1st OA, I drafted Lafreniere. The team had all of it's picks for future years, including an extra 2021 1st and 2nd acquired by the previous manager in a deal that traded away Jack Hughes - yes this team won the lottery last season as well.

I dumped a lot of dreck from the minors, what's there is the best of the bunch - I currently have 10 open minors slots. Prosvetov is my acquisition.

C
    Justin Dowling
    C Jesperi Kotkaniemi
    C Riley Nash
    LW Jamie Benn
    LW Christoffer Ehn
    LW Sam Lafferty
    RW William Carrier
    RW Phil Kessel
    RW Valeri Nichushkin
    F
    Dustin Brown
    F Michael Chaput
    F Mark Jankowski
    D Ville Heinola
    D Duncan Keith
    D Alec Martinez
    D Brett Pesce
    D Shea Theodore
    D Zach Werenski
    C Luke Johnson
    D Jake Gardiner
    C Sasha Chmelevski
    C
    Laurent Dauphin
    C Luke Henman
    C Maxim Letunov
    LW Tyler Benson
    LW Ethan Keppen
    RW Sasha Mutala
    RW Michael Rasmussen
    RW Ostap Safin
    D Kyle Capobianco
    D Kaedan Korczak
    D Mattias Samuelsson
    D Conor Timmins
    D
    Zach Whitecloud
    Totals

Goalies
    Pos Player
    G Corey Crawford
    G Chris Gibson
    G Curtis McElhinney
    G Scott Darling
    G Erik Portillo
    G Ivan Prosvetov
    G Kirill Ustimenko

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks 65jeff

I see this but don’t have time respond at the moment. Thanks for posting. I’ll get back to this later in the day.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just FYI regarding the original topic, if I'd kept 21 and 26 they would have netted me Lapierre and Gunler or Mysak instead of Quinn.

Time will tell on the decision.

Dobber Sports Genius

Hey 65jeff!

I finally have more than a few moments to look at this on the little phone screen.

Yikes! That is a shitty team in a 24 team league.

Can I offer you some unsolicited advice? I'm going to anyway. LOL.

Seeing as this is your "first really deep league and my first cap league, so I hope to learn something" project I think it is wise to keep going with this league, but maybe use it in a way that you had not intended. This team you have sucks (let's be blunt) and is a years long project to turn around. This team needs to be built from the ground up. I would sell off anything of any value that is older than 26 and go scorched earth. Use this league as a way to learn about prospects and what their values are. Think of it as you practice league. The patience required to turn this team around is going to be extreme (read: slow). In the meantime find another league that is starting from scratch and start a new team in a fresh league. Be a bit choosy and find a good one. New leagues are popping up in here all the time. Do a bit of research on the league before jumping in. This new league is going to be a time commitment so you want to make sure that you invest your time wisely.

With your new team go out and try to win the league in year one! Winning is way more fun than being the worst team in a 24-team league. Your knowledge base of prospects and youth will grow with your old league and the skills learned in the new league will be how to manage a deep-cap league with the mindset of competing in the present. It is really the best of both worlds.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the advice, Moses.

I already have a lot of fun winning in my one year leagues and limited keepers. Batting .823 over 3 years.

So this is the new challenge. I think I will give this year to this crap team before starting up in a new league as deep as this one. Just to learn the prospect pool.