17 73.91%
  • Demko

4 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binnington vs. Markstrom vs Demko

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Binnington vs. Markstrom vs Demko

For my league in signature. 24 GM league, points only. Start one goalie per week. 2 for the win, + 3 for a SO.

Traded for Binny late in the year before Covid. Markstrom came aboard only weeks earlier. Picked up Demko in late season waiver.

How would you rank these guys in a keeper for this season and beyond? Who's worth keeping? I can keep all, two or just one if I wish. I would have to carry 2 D into draft day if I keep all 3. After watching the playoffs, I'm quite high on Demko and his potential.

I've created this thread without reading the guide yet.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or a ranking. I'll rep as I can.

COD
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Binnington vs. Markstrom vs Demko

Only 1 goalie is making the cut here with a start 1 system. And its between markstrom and binnington. Both will be on the workhorse end of the spectrum. Both are playing for good teams. I think I would slightly lean markstrom for the track record and experience. I'm just not completely sold on binnington after some hiccups in his game have shown themselves. It's close though.

Markstrom
    Binnington

Demko

Another option is to try and trade one of those 2 if you can for an upgrade elsewhere. Or keep both and trade 1 later. This would be the ideal situation.

Dobber Sports Stud

An interesting pickle (or opportunity) you're in here COD.

24 team keep 11... and you've got 4 solid-to-decent G options. Agree with Napoleon that if a trade is possible, that's the ideal option.

In your setup, "theoretically" you should be able cover your starting lineup (2 C/L/R, 4D, 1G) with your 11 keeps. So you might be a scooch out of balance, but, the bonus is your "surplus" is in the position that's hardest to fill in a 24-team league... again putting you in the driver's seat for a potential deal.

Ok suggesting a deal just isn't viable and getting back to your original question.

Here's how I personally see your keeper set shaking out:

C: Malkin, Kuz, J.Hughes
    LW: Gaudreau, Marchand
    RW: Aho, Svech
    D: Q.Hughes, ADA

That's 9 solid keeps (and an argument could be made for Hronek too I suppose). So 2 goalies to fill out the roster.

Depending on your draft capital and other GM's, this decision imo is about whether or not you can "win now" or if you're still a step behind.

If you're "win now" - I think you keep Markstrom and Binnington. (If we have a Cdn division, don't love pitting 2Gs against each other all the time - e.g. Marky vs Demko or Marky vs Kosk)

If you're a step away, and need a fully matured J.Hughes or are low on re-draft capital this year, I'm personally going Markstrom and Demko as your 2 keeps.

I don't think you want to go down to a single D in your keeper setup, and I too have reservations around Binnington & Koskinen longer-term.

It would be awesome if you could keep all 3 (Mark/Bin/Demko) but I just can't justify doing so over the top 9 I outlined above. So it's max 2 kept for me, and maybe 1, depending on whether or not you can acquire adequate value back in a trade.

Good luck - will be curious to see which route you decide to go.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    Only 1 goalie is making the cut here with a start 1 system. And its between markstrom and binnington. Both will be on the workhorse end of the spectrum. Both are playing for good teams. I think I would slightly lean markstrom for the track record and experience. I'm just not completely sold on binnington after some hiccups in his game have shown themselves. It's close though.

Markstrom
    Binnington

Demko

Another option is to try and trade one of those 2 if you can for an upgrade elsewhere. Or keep both and trade 1 later. This would be the ideal situation.
    I'd agree with this ranking.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

As it’s a keeper -
    Demko

Markstrom

Binnington
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    As it’s a keeper -
    Demko

Markstrom

Binnington
    Why would demko be ahead of 2 established starters with many good years ahead of them? Youd only hope that demko becomes a markstrom or binnington.

Keeping demko ahead of those guys is how you get stuck in the perpetual rebuild cycle, always chasing the next best thing when you have the best already on your team.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with what Napoleon and Yzerman are saying that Markstrom is number one and Binnington a close second - and keep both.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

I like Demko best long-term, but Markstrom for this year.

Depending on where you are in your league (going for the championship vs rebuilding) would play a big role, but I'd probably roll with Demko.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    For my league in signature. 24 GM league, points only. Start one goalie per week. 2 for the win, + 3 for a SO.

Traded for Binny late in the year before Covid. Markstrom came aboard only weeks earlier. Picked up Demko in late season waiver.

How would you rank these guys in a keeper for this season and beyond? Who's worth keeping? I can keep all, two or just one if I wish. I would have to carry 2 D into draft day if I keep all 3. After watching the playoffs, I'm quite high on Demko and his potential.

I've created this thread without reading the guide yet.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or a ranking. I'll rep as I can.

COD
    surprised you would find Demko on waivers in a 24 team league. Keep 11 I understand but still, nice grab!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Wizard

Why would demko be ahead of 2 established starters with many good years ahead of them? Youd only hope that demko becomes a markstrom or binnington.

Keeping demko ahead of those guys is how you get stuck in the perpetual rebuild cycle, always chasing the next best thing when you have the best already on your team.
    Because obviously age is more important than production

im with you, markstrom and binny ligthyears ahead.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Because neither of those guys are that good. Markstrom had one decent season...his contract year. He’s got a career GSAA around -16.

Binnington has played the equivalent of about a season in the NHL. He turned into a pumpkin in the playoffs this year...4.72 GAA and .851 SV%. Which one is the real Binnington? Not worth a keeper spot to find out.

Demko has been pretty pedestrian in the regular season with a very small sample size. He is younger and on the best young team of the three. His playoff numbers this year (what have you done for me lately) were a 0.64 GAA and a .985 SV%. Binnington and Markstrom have real potential to be league average. Demko has much higher upside.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

To each their own I guess. Goalies are a crapshoot anyway. I'm taking the proven over potential 9 times out of 10 personally.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree with what Napoleon and Yzerman are saying that Markstrom is number one and Binnington a close second - and keep both.
    Bingo. Demko could be great but can't be kept with Holtby there.

The Great One

To each their own I guess. Goalies are a crapshoot anyway. I'm taking the proven over potential 9 times out of 10 personally.
    That’s what I’m saying. Proven mediocrity or even worse for Markstrom and small sample proven inconsistency for Binnington. That is not how you win. Holtby is there this year and next to help split starts (which, according to most commentators here, is how everyone will be doing it this year) and bring the kid along. I do believe the OP said it’s a keeper and he wasn’t looking at one year. Worrying about Holtby is what GMs in one year leagues should be doing.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Novice

Funny how you use the small sample argument for Binnington but not for Demko. Without his 4 hot games he wouldn't even have been considered.