Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Restrictions For Minnesota

Banned

Default New Restrictions For Minnesota

Anybody here from Minnesota? Minnesota's governor has ordered bars and restaurants to offer only takeout options, gyms to close and limits on social gatherings for the next four weeks to curb record levels of daily coronavirus cases, hospitalizations and deaths. For those not in Minnesota, are there new rules being implemented in your area?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: New Restrictions For Minnesota

We went through that here in Alberta for a while. It wasn't really that big of a deal for most people outside of those who were directly hurt of course (like restaurant owners, gyms etc). For those folks it is certainly a real hardship and social supports were put in place to help. It turned into some good news stories for some businesses as well. Here are two examples.

An auction house here in town started putting more emphasis on online auctions, with curbside pickup and realized that it was WAY more profitable for them.

My cousin's husband ran a restaurant and ended up changing their entire business model to accommodate drop offs, deliveries etc, and is making a killing doing it.

Both of these businesses were run by smart people who adapted to the changes (with some government supports at the start) and are now even better for it coming out the other side. That's not always the case for sure - real people have lost businesses etc, but there is hope for people in difficult times, particularly if there are supports for them to help bridge the gap.

We saved money on our gym membership, regular food costs (though we don't eat out a lot at the best of times, and did do a couple take out options), and played a lot more board games together at home with the kids!

Dobber Sports Jedi

British Columbia just dropped the hammer a bit today as well.

update from 90min ago:

mandatory masks in indoor public and retail spaces, and restricting social gatherings to household members only for everyone across B.C.
    Henry said Thursday that she is extending an earlier order limiting social gatherings in the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions until Dec. 7 and making it apply provincewide.
    She's also asked Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth to implement a requirement for workers and members of the public to wear masks in all retail environments and indoor public spaces, including common areas of workplaces, except when eating or drinking.
    High-risk indoor group fitness activities, including high intensity interval training, hot yoga and spin classes will be suspended as well.
    Other measures announced Thursday include:

• All community and social events suspended for the next two weeks, even if they're under 50 people.
    • In-person faith services suspended.
    • No spectators allowed at any indoor or outdoor sport, and no travelling outside the local community for sports.
    • Businesses are being asked to suspend any returns to the office for employees who've been working at home.
    • They're also being told to re-evaluate whether safety plans are appropriate and being followed.
    • Inspections of businesses and enforcement of public health orders are being stepped up.
    • Officials are asking everyone not to travel outside their communities for non-essential reasons and asking people from other provinces to postpone their trips here.

Bonnie didn't make the cover of TIME for nothin'

sadly from contact tracing... 85% of all active cases on Vancouver island (where I live) are due to residents traveling
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Guru

Here in Michigan, high schools are all virtual again--state-wide. Restaurants are take-out only. Work at home if possible, strongly encouraged.
    Lots of other restrictions again too.

If folks would just mask up and follow some of the easiest protocols, we wouldn't be in this mess again.
    I teach at a high school. We are REALLY on top of forcing the protocols and we've had few cases, and every one was connected back to weekend activities. Sounds like other schools were different and had many outbreaks. It's frustrating.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Jedi

187 000 new cases in the US so far today. I remember when 40 000 was mind boggling
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

I for one am happy about mandatory masks for indoor public and retail spaces here in BC. Pretty easy thing to do along with washing hands to help curb the virus. Should be interesting to see how it is enforced. A fair number of people don’t take kindly being told what to do.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Deity

Right now in Nova Scotia, we have 23 active cases as the "second wave" is upon us. I think, if it wasn't so close to Christmas, the provincial govt would have clamped down on restrictions again but for now, they are holding off. We'll see how much longer they can keep it as open as it is. We've had mandatory masks in businesses and buildings for months now. Yes, lots of people complain, but we've done very well here in the Maritimes. Our Atlantic Bubble (NS, NB, PEI, NL) has worked well and allowed for more tourism business but that's not as big of an issue anymore as the tourist season has passed. We are definitely the envy of most of Canada as well as south of the border when it comes to Covid cases and our ability to keep the numbers low, percentage wise.

Stay safe everyone. Keep washing your hands, keep wearing your mask and keep your distance. We are not out of the woods yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Halton Elementary schools in Ontario are closing it's virtual and in-person schooling Nov30th because of COVID. I think the idea that a plan will be communicated between now and then for the future. Might just end up being a "we're done until January".

Ontario is far behind what should be happening, but we're miles ahead of the states. I just saw some people in Oregon calling a closure of businesses that was similar to what Canada did back in July "communist". I was shocked this was just happening to them.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Halton Elementary schools in Ontario are closing it's virtual and in-person schooling Nov30th because of COVID. I think the idea that a plan will be communicated between now and then for the future. Might just end up being a "we're done until January".

Ontario is far behind what should be happening, but we're miles ahead of the states. I just saw some people in Oregon calling a closure of businesses that was similar to what Canada did back in July "communist". I was shocked this was just happening to them.
    I hadn't heard that Halton will shut the schools down at the end of November. I'm in York and we haven't had any direction in that sense yet. We've heard rumours that they'll shut it down 2 weeks before Christmas to try and give people time to isolate a bit more in advance of Christmas to allow small family gatherings, and follow that up with 2 weeks after Christmas. Going to be a mess trying to work and having the kids home from school again.

Agree with the above comment about cases in schools. Due to the level of precautions they put in place and how they're followed, the schools aren't creating hot spots of transmission. I also agree that if everyone just wore a mask and followed the distancing precautions, it would be much more manageable and in some way close to normal.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I hadn't heard that Halton will shut the schools down at the end of November. I'm in York and we haven't had any direction in that sense yet. We've heard rumours that they'll shut it down 2 weeks before Christmas to try and give people time to isolate a bit more in advance of Christmas to allow small family gatherings, and follow that up with 2 weeks after Christmas. Going to be a mess trying to work and having the kids home from school again.

Agree with the above comment about cases in schools. Due to the level of precautions they put in place and how they're followed, the schools aren't creating hot spots of transmission. I also agree that if everyone just wore a mask and followed the distancing precautions, it would be much more manageable and in some way close to normal.
    The Halton thing was announced either last night or this morning.

OMG, my local paper got the news wrong when I read it. They're closing it for November 30th, that's it. They have a PA day on the 27th, and are giving the kids an extra day off on the Monday.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

We on lock down in Manitoba right now, just allowed essential services.
    Best to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Wear your masks if you go out, social distance, stay home is the best. This isn't going to go away overnight.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Right now in Nova Scotia, we have 23 active cases as the "second wave" is upon us. I think, if it wasn't so close to Christmas, the provincial govt would have clamped down on restrictions again but for now, they are holding off. We'll see how much longer they can keep it as open as it is. We've had mandatory masks in businesses and buildings for months now. Yes, lots of people complain, but we've done very well here in the Maritimes. Our Atlantic Bubble (NS, NB, PEI, NL) has worked well and allowed for more tourism business but that's not as big of an issue anymore as the tourist season has passed. We are definitely the envy of most of Canada as well as south of the border when it comes to Covid cases and our ability to keep the numbers low, percentage wise.

Stay safe everyone. Keep washing your hands, keep wearing your mask and keep your distance. We are not out of the woods yet.
    Us citizens of Alberta, as usual, could stand to learn a heck of a lot from you folks out that way.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Us citizens of Alberta, as usual, could stand to learn a heck of a lot from you folks out that way.
    Five new cases today, up to 28. Govt is clamping down in the Halifax area because that's where most of our problems are coming from.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Five new cases today, up to 28. Govt is clamping down in the Halifax area because that's where most of our problems are coming from.
    We're at 1000+ a day right now and still just dishing out frowny faces and grumpy tone of voice (and cancelling team sports)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    We're at 1000+ a day right now and still just dishing out frowny faces and grumpy tone of voice (and cancelling team sports)
    It would help if we had a government that cared about something other giving cash to their buddies and destroying the health care system.