Thread: COVID-19 Vaccine Discussion

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Biden to Push Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine

That thread title is highly misleading.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    That thread title is highly misleading.
    Agreed, very much so. I don't think it was necessarily intentional, but maybe a mod can change it to something more appropriate?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Maestr0 View Post
    My wife is immunosuppressed so we'll have to get it someday but we definetely wont rush to get it round 1.
    By the time us general public get around to having access to it there will be even more data available on the safety. Combined with the opinions of reputable members of the science community I think you can have a lot of trust that it will be safe

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Since when has a leader of any country, let alone the United States, have to wait for anything? The POTUS has an army of writers who simply have to spin this as a leadership issue, especially as some people in his own party have questioned a vaccine created under a Trump regime (hello Ms Harris). They better be first in line so that "the people" will see that it's "safe" to get vaccinated. Plus, the media is NOT going to rip Biden for anything. Obviously, some right leaning media will rip the Democrats regardless.
    I guess we will see what happens. I dont think its unreasonable to suggest that any media that is right leaning will trash Biden for any action he performs, just as the left did with Trump.

I didnt think that saying he was in a no win position was that controversial. Sort of goes with the territory of being in a public job like that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Anti-vaxers get the luxury of crying, "their body their choice" while ignoring their societal responsibility. Everybody else takes the vaccines, thus keeping anti-vaxers and their children safe from disease. Much like draft dodgers these folks get to absolve themselves of responsibly while still reaping the rewards of the patriotic and responsible members of society.

-end of rant
    Interesting comparison of draft dodgers and anti vaxxers. Do you consider conscientous objectors to be draft dodgers or can they be distinct categories. Not sure I can agree with your take here but it may depend on definitions.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discussion

I am definitely not an anti-Vaxer. I do have trust in our scientific community. It’s much in thanks to our scientific progression that our average life span (atleast in N.A. Or maybe I should just say Canada) has continued to go up. My family and I have been vaccinated for all the “required/recommended” vaccines on the little yellow card and maintain where needed. And I’m not against the Flu vaccine as my wife (like Maestro’s) has two immuno compromised conditions and she gets the flu vaccine almost annually. For me, however, I have chosen not to (nor have we had our kids get the flu shot) because I see a variety of friends / acquaintances who get the flu shot still get sick. Makes me question how effective science can keep up with a constantly mutating strain. And maybe by complete chance, I’ve been hit once with a flu like illness and the kids also once, maybe twice in their combined 25 years. I’m taking a risk (working in insurance That’s what I assess) but so far my experience has been positive. Is it because I’m letting the 75% of those getting the flu shot protect me? Perhaps that’s a factor. I won’t argue it. I guess I could be guilted into it with enough back lash (oh ooo ... insert Wonko’s hand on my shoulder given me a talking to...difference being, I’m all ears and again, don’t consider myself an anti-Vaxer for choosing not to take the one vaccine). And if the annual flu risk posed the same impacts as this world wide Pandemic, yup, In In the line to get the shot.

That all said, My family and I will definitely choose to take the Covid vaccine (regardless of mandates) but like Wonko did suggest, by the time we’re eligible to get it, thousands if not millions of hi-risk people including those with pre-existing conditions and our brave and selfless frontine workers will have experienced the vaccine and God/Science willing the benefits of it thereby making it easier for those on the fence to be convinced to continue to do their part for the greater good of the community, country and world.

Not so much a rant, but just my thoughts (and definitely vulnerability).

Dobber Sports Titan

It won't be mandatory, but it'll be almost forced as a mandatory vaccine.

By this I mean if you wanna go to events, or go to beer league, you'll need to prove you've had the vaccine, or have been tested within X number of days. So either get vaccinated once a yr, or get tested 10 times a yr will end up being what happens.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Interesting comparison of draft dodgers and anti vaxxers. Do you consider conscientous objectors to be draft dodgers or can they be distinct categories. Not sure I can agree with your take here but it may depend on definitions.
    It was just an analogy that came to the top of my head doulos. I agree it is not perfect. conscientious objectors to war are quite a different thing. I was thinking more along the lines of someone claiming, "bone spurs".

I just get angry at anti-vaxers sometimes as we are seeing a resurgence in a few deseases that were effectively "eradicated" due to the stupidity and selfishness of others.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    It was just an analogy that came to the top of my head doulos. I agree it is not perfect. conscientious objectors to war are quite a different thing. I was thinking more along the lines of someone claiming, "bone spurs".

I just get angry at anti-vaxers sometimes as we are seeing a resurgence in a few deseases that were effectively "eradicated" due to the stupidity and selfishness of others.
    Ok, gotcha. Makes sense.

Dobber Sports Master

wife is an RN at nursing home so she will likely be one of the first to receive it but hopefully between now and then more info is available

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Ohhh an anti-vaxxer, how delightful.
    Just facts my friend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    wife is an RN at nursing home so she will likely be one of the first to receive it but hopefully between now and then more info is available
    My wife is a Public Health Nurse. There is this little tiny nagging thought in the back of my mind every day when she goes to work that she may catch the virus. You have to believe in the science and you are right, hopefully when a vaccine is available there will be more information - there will be. We have to support our front line health care workers.

HBlast
    " I see a variety of friends / acquaintances who get the flu shot still get sick. Makes me question how effective science can keep up with a constantly mutating strain."
    - one of the things is if they got sick right away after getting flu shot, then they probably had contracted the flu a few days before so the shot wouldn't be effective for that.
    - did they get the flu shot more than once and this happened each time? or did they stop getting it after 1 attempt?
    - people should do their own science experiment and try it a few times, the bodies immune system is an amazing thing.
    - they have been doing flu shots for quite a few years now, so there is more data available.
    - the science is always evolving

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but like you guys always like to get as much info that is available.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Just facts my friend.
    What facts? Your post demonstrated nothing more than a misunderstanding of how percentages work.

Banned

Hi All. Thanks for all your responses.

I get all your point, and I'm glad to hear that a lot of people are positive about this. I myself was hesitant at first, but if it becomes mandatory for employees, there's only two ways it's going to be: Stay and get vaccinated or quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestr0 View Post
    Wow. Do us a favor and don't reproduce yourself
    Hi. I'd rather have a world of asking lots than bitter ones. Thank you.

There's this one good read by the way http://higherpowermoment.com/things-...ess-awareness/

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallaher View Post
    Hi All. Thanks for all your responses.

I get all your point, and I'm glad to hear that a lot of people are positive about this. I myself was hesitant at first, but if it becomes mandatory for employees, there's only two ways it's going to be: Stay and get vaccinated or quit.

Hi. I'd rather have a world of asking lots than bitter ones. Thank you.

There's this one good read by the way http://higherpowermoment.com/things-...ess-awareness/
    Read the article and that is good advice, we could probably do a thread on this type of info.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO