Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Vaccine Discussion

Banned

Default COVID-19 Vaccine Discussion

I have a feeling that Biden's administration, as well as all the leaders globally, are leaning toward mandatory vaccination, especially for those who are employed and need to be in the office/field. What are your thought on this?

How have you been holding up during this distressful time?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Biden to Push Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine

Personally, i am more than happy to let someone else take the first round of vaccine. The speed it has been tested, while the latest Pfizer trials resulted in 95% effective - there has been little to no opportunity to review potential side effects from this.

50% vaccination essentially results in a level of herd immunity. I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig for round1 without being able to sign something for compensation if there are serious side effects.

I never left the office during the pandemic. I think that's allowed me to hold up a lot better than my co-workers/colleagues that chose to go home. it's been much harder on my wife and my daughter - especially when school and activities were on shut down
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Re: mandatory vaccines. I highly doubt it.

I have been holding up well. Had a really great year overall to be honest. Accomplished a lot and made some great memories with my wife and kids.

Was looking to take up crosscountry skiing this winter but everything is sold out everywhere right now - similar to cycling in the summer. So will stick to the bike trainer and, once healed up, back on the trails.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If you make something mandatory, you better be first in line. Leadership 101.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    If you make something mandatory, you better be first in line. Leadership 101.
    I can guarantee you that if he is one of the first to take a vaccine he will get ripped for queue jumping, and if he waits to take the vaccine he will get ripped for using people as guinea pigs. He has no way to win.

Dobber Sports Deity

I never get a flu shot. Never. This year is no different for me. If my job said it's mandatory then I guess I'd have no choice.

As far as a vaccine goes, I'm undetermined if I'll get it or not. I'll probably wait for a bit if I do decide to get it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

My wife is immunosuppressed so we'll have to get it someday but we definetely wont rush to get it round 1.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I can guarantee you that if he is one of the first to take a vaccine he will get ripped for queue jumping, and if he waits to take the vaccine he will get ripped for using people as guinea pigs. He has no way to win.
    Since when has a leader of any country, let alone the United States, have to wait for anything? The POTUS has an army of writers who simply have to spin this as a leadership issue, especially as some people in his own party have questioned a vaccine created under a Trump regime (hello Ms Harris). They better be first in line so that "the people" will see that it's "safe" to get vaccinated. Plus, the media is NOT going to rip Biden for anything. Obviously, some right leaning media will rip the Democrats regardless.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Personally, i am more than happy to let someone else take the first round of vaccine. The speed it has been tested, while the latest Pfizer trials resulted in 95% effective - there has been little to no opportunity to review potential side effects from this.

50% vaccination essentially results in a level of herd immunity. I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig for round1 without being able to sign something for compensation if there are serious side effects.

I never left the office during the pandemic. I think that's allowed me to hold up a lot better than my co-workers/colleagues that chose to go home. it's been much harder on my wife and my daughter - especially when school and activities were on shut down
    Hahahahaha. 95% effective on the flu that has a 99.3% natural cure.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Maestr0 View Post
    My wife is immunosuppressed so we'll have to get it someday but we definetely wont rush to get it round 1.
    I apologize in advance for how sick your wife will get from the vaccine.

Dobber Sports Novice

Wow. Do us a favor and don't reproduce yourself

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I apologize in advance for how sick your wife will get from the vaccine.
    Cause you work for Pfizer? ... or Operation Warp Speed? Such an insensitive and outright dick thing to say!

To the OP, are you saying that you actually heard this to be fact or simply wondering what people think IF it’s made mandatory? I personally doubt it will be flat out stated Mandatory, but Like Axe says, I could see pressure from work and schools. You don’t need to get it but if you get sick of Covid after having chosen not to, you won’t be compensated and for school, not allowed in.

Who knows. It’s so far off I’ll wait to see how things shake out before loosing too much sleep. I also never get the Flu shot and rarely get the flu. So I guess we’ll see.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Cause you work for Pfizer? ... or Operation Warp Speed? Such an insensitive and outright dick thing to say!
    True. But nothing unusual. Right on brand for Skippy.

I admit I too would be nervous to get these Covid-19 vaccines right out of the gate. We know things have been rushed. There is a reason these vaccines need emergency FDA approval. If it were not for the dire situation we find ourselves in these vaccines would not be approved for public consumption without much more lengthy and rigorous studies and trials. However, for those who are at high risk of complications, or at high risk of contracting Covid-19, this is likely less of a consideration.

That said, I don't think anybody but essential workers and those in high risk groups will be able to get the vaccine until the spring or summer of 2021. By then we will have a lot more data on any possible side effects.

I myself will take the vaccine at that time if it has proven to be safe. My wife and daughter will too.

Much like regular vaccines, if people don't vaccinate, it does not work.

A short rant about anti-vaxers

Anti-vaxers get the luxury of crying, "their body their choice" while ignoring their societal responsibility. Everybody else takes the vaccines, thus keeping anti-vaxers and their children safe from disease. Much like draft dodgers these folks get to absolve themselves of responsibly while still reaping the rewards of the patriotic and responsible members of society.

-end of rant
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Hahahahaha. 95% effective on the flu that has a 99.3% natural cure.
    Ohhh an anti-vaxxer, how delightful.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

To answer the question, generally speaking, I am all for issuing a mandatory vaccination.

I did a simple google search and it said that you needed a 95% herd immunity for measles, and polio is 80% (extent of my research). Lets say as a minimum of 75% for herd immunity for COVID (assuming correct).

The questions:

1. Will 75% of the population get the Vaccine voluntarily? If yes, then not required, if no, then...

2. Do you trust your scientists and governmental bodies to produce a safe vaccine through scientific due diligence? If no, then I can see the concern. If Yes, no problem.

For me,

1. No

2. Yes

I am for them.