Thread: Building a dream league: dynasty, unique category weights, minors, deep. no goalies

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Building a dream league: dynasty, unique category weights, minors, deep. no goalies

--20 teams, pay 2 years entry fee ($52 each) to begin.
    --Payouts will be very gradual from $200 to league winner down to $20 in 9th place and $80 to In Season Cup winner down to $20 for Cup 4th place finisher so as to inspire competition all season. Eventually we will have divisions based on past history for promotion/relegation bragging rights, which has worked amazingly well in other leagues I've run.

--H2H categories: G*, A*, SOG, Blocks, Takeaways, Hits, Corsi...doubleheaders at least each period. Each period is two weeks.
    *these categories are worth 1.5 wins

--Slow Auction to begin, $250 fictional hard cap. Will take 2+ weeks easily but each day just takes a few minutes to put bids in and really sets the tone for a great league. Go for who you want at what price you want.

--Year 2 you can keep all your players from Year 1, just pay $3 more. So if you want to just keep Draisaitl after you spent $40 on him this year, in Year 2 you will have Draisaitl on your team for $43 and $207 to spend everywhere else to replace the other 24 players. Or you could keep 15 players who cost $10 each, now they all cost $13 so you come into the year with 15 players on your roster and $55 to spend on the remaining 10. This should ensure some turnover but also rewards those who make good deals and allows you to keep a core.

A $10 player would be someone like Erik Cernak or Kyle Palmieri.

An example of how a player throughout their career is valued here. If you bought Mackinnon for $20 at the auction, you'd be very disappointed with his production after 4 years. You have paid $20, $23, $26, and $29 for seasons worth $16, $14, $12, and $14. But if you trusted that #1 overall pick pedigree and kept him you were rewarded these past 3 years where you paid $32, $35, and $38 but got years worth $45, $52, and $60 out of him and now look to have several more years of a valuable player under your control.

Another example is Dougie Hamilton.. Say you got him for $10 his rookie season:

after 4 years you were basically even on returning value for cost but he had just had a downturn. Was it worth it to keep him at his new $22? Absolutely, as he's played like a $40 player since then.

Hope these examples show how it's not complicated technically but can keep the league fresh and exciting while making you make decisions about players and their development each season.

It shouldn't be an overly complicated league but it should be a deep and engaging league. Let me know if you are ready and excited for it

Among top 48 players the last 2 years the breakdown is

2020: 34 forwards, 16 defensemen
    2019: 39 forwards, 11 defensemen

so somewhat close

I'd guess the top players for this season will be

McDavid/Matthews in a tier of their own
    MacKinnon/Pastrnak/Zibanejad
    Aho/Marner/Stone/Draisaitl/Josi/Kucherov/Karlsson/Guentzel/Hedman/Eichel/Carlson

Let me know what you think of this idea and if you are interested in playing or have suggestions. I just want people who will care about their teams and the league to join and hope it will be fun!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: Building a dream league: dynasty, unique category weights, minors, deep. no goalies

how the league begins

Slack Auction. 20 players are put up for auction on Day 1...24 hours later the auctions end highest bidder gets the player and their salary is the price paid, the cap is $250

if you win a player, you put another up for auction.

how the league turns over

after the season you decide which players you want to keep. I don't want this to get out of hand where it get too complicated or where teams can rule the league forever without any sweat so my current idea is this:

-you can keep every player if you want
    -but each players price rises $3 every year if they play 10+ games in the NHL (otherwise it stays the same)
    -so if you get a star (think Mitchell Marner, worth roughly $40 which is top 30 value) for a discount price, you can probably get 4 or 5 years of value out of him before it becomes a tough decision. If you pay up for Crosby and he delivers what you paid for, it becomes tough to decide next year if you want to keep him or not. If you get a free agent/cheap draft pick for $1, and they are producing like a middle of the pack starter, you have 4-5 years of value on them as well.

but in the end you won't be able to keep your dominant team together year after year as if you wanted to keep all 18 (assuming your minors players all stay in the minors), you'd have to pay $54 more than the year before, and that just won't work with the cap.

the next years auction includes all players new to the NHL plus all players not kept. It will not have everyone with $250, but varying amounts of cap space across the league

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: Building a dream league: dynasty, unique category weights, minors, deep. no goalies

a look at a few player histories according to our scoring system

Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Wizard

just talking from personal experience...more complicated you make the league, less likely you get good group of guy and will take long time to fill out....

this sounds like you need degree in fantasy hockey
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Rookie

really? what is so complicated?

Dobber Sports Wizard

you included jsut about everything you can include in fantasy hockey...from salaries, contracts, auction drafts and just about all scoring stats you can get..on top of multiple matchups.

Most leagues choose selective features to make it user friendly. I think you overwhelm most GMs with your set up.

I been doing this for long long time and i find it overwhelming myself.

I hope im wrong and you will fill up relatively fast.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    you included jsut about everything you can include in fantasy hockey...from salaries, contracts, auction drafts and just about all scoring stats you can get..on top of multiple matchups.

Most leagues choose selective features to make it user friendly. I think you overwhelm most GMs with your set up.

I been doing this for long long time and i find it overwhelming myself.

I hope im wrong and you will fill up relatively fast.
    Hm appreciate the advice. Salaries do seem complicated but not too far. Multiple matchups don’t seem to change anything to me, just make it more fair. And auction I think is just much better, makes things way more fun. But I will be willing to give I guess

Dobber Sports Rookie

6 or 7 owners have signed up so far...there is interest! want to spread the money out as well, so at least half the league gets some sort of prize

Dobber Sports Rookie

re-wrote the first post to be a little clearer I think

Dobber Sports Rookie

looking still, we've got several quite interested guys who form a good base. just want a bigger one, the more the merrier

Dobber Sports Rookie

at 8 now

Dobber Sports Rookie

bump

Dobber Sports Rookie

Jan 3rd is live online auction date