Thread: Weekly Lineups - optimal ratio

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Weekly Lineups - optimal ratio

Looking for some Dobberite expertise when it comes to weekly set-ups in your leagues.

One of my leagues is a 12-team, start 12F, 6D, 2G with weekly lineups, and a MAX of 6G starts. Pro rosters of 30 (any combo) and minors rosters of 30 (again any combo). It's a weighted scoring system but generally reflects what you'd see in a basic multi-cat league.

Curious what the community thinks is the optimal split F/D/G in this scenario?

More specifically, I'm trying to gauge how many Goalies to roster in this set-up. Realize that depends on whether it's a starter or backup, so appreciate any additional info you could offer to help clarify. (e.g. roster 4 goalies, as long as 2 are starters or 3 are 1a/1b kind of thing)

Rep as always to those who willing to share their perspectives!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Weekly Lineups - optimal ratio

I would want 4 goalies in that set up with two of the goalies being a tandem. You can never have enough goaltending but you can certainly have not enough of it.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

You are going to want to maximize starts each week so you are going to want a guy that is playing 2/3 or 3/4 games that week. When injuries hit having the back up is always a plus. When injuries really hit it is nice to have a tandem you can plug in and at least get the full week of starts.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    You are going to want to maximize starts each week so you are going to want a guy that is playing 2/3 or 3/4 games that week. When injuries hit having the back up is always a plus. When injuries really hit it is nice to have a tandem you can plug in and at least get the full week of starts.
    Makes sense. In a 'normal' year I'd 100% shoot for that.

Curious if you (or anyone else) thinks the potentially condensed sched for 20-21 will up the frequency for backups? If so, is it altering the way you're approaching the G position this year?
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Genius

Absolutely! How ever this year plays out it is going to be weird. I anticipate the schedule will be compressed. I also believe that carrying 3 goalies is going to the normal for most teams (see: Dell, Hutchinson, Schneider). I think off day practices for goalies are going to be more controlled. I think that the ‘third’ goalie is going to get to be on the bench more often as team’s try to rest their top two goalies more than in years past. I think that there are going to be more ‘lower body’ injuries this season than in the past.

I think that you are bang on recognizing that this is going to be a different kind of year for the NHL and goalies in general.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would say that there is no truly optimal ratio, it depends on what players make up your roster as to where you need to shore things up. That's especially true for prospects.

I'd start with 18/9/3 F/D/G as the rough guideline, using your roster ratio, and go from there. This year, I want a 4th goalie for sure. What trade-off do I make to get that position locked in? Personally, I'd likely go light at forward. Then you look at that, and see how it feels.

What you're likely going to find is that your preferred ratio is something like 16/7/3/4 F/D/G/? where "?" are spots that you allocate differently throughout time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.