Thread: Rasmus Anderson Vs Valimaki

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Rasmus Anderson Vs Valimaki

Hey guys! Which of these 2 will get PP1 when Giordano is gonna be done?

thanks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Rasmus Anderson Vs Valimaki

Valimaki is my best guess. It hard to predict until we see them perform. It I’m drinking the Valimaki koolaide

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I too am drinking the Valimaki koolaid. Long term. Next year is a bit up in the air though and I could see rasmus getting the first crack there when Giordano inevitably misses games or declines. Maybe he runs with it. Maybe valimaki comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders and steals it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Put me down for Valimaki as well.
    He's got the pedigree and he's killing it Europe so far.
    I'm definitely on this train.

Dobber Sports Star

I love Valimaki, put another dime in the jukebox, baby.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

They have pretty different skillsets, so it's tough to say. Valimaki is the easy answer right now, because he's playing and playing well. This is more likely to be decided by what Calgary wants out of their PPD. Rasmus is a RHS and a much better shooter. Valimaki is a LHS and probably a better puck mover.

Dobber Sports Ace

Valimaki is the easy and likely most poplar answer to this question right now, and for good reason. He's currently a PPG in SM-Liiga, and has gotten some pretty high praise for it too, including being called "the best player" in the league currently. Plus he has some pretty good pedigree going for him, with some success in the WHL and the AHL in his rookie season. However, there is some risk to choosing him. Early returns are good, but he also just missed an entire season of play due to injury. He also hasn't played a full season in the NHL, and while his returns in Liiga look great (being the only dmen in the top 21 of scoring is pretty phenomenal), it's not the NHL.

Rasmus Andersson meanwhile has slowly worked his way up to currently playing with Giordano on the top pairing, and he's received some time on the PP (averaging about 1 and a half minutes-ish last season). He also put up 5 points in 10 playoff games so he has some potential. He has a leg up right now simply because he's there already. He also is a right handed dmen, where Valimaki is LHD, and Andersson has a pretty strong shot (a diminishing quality among NHL level dmen these days). That makes it interesting for sure.

I think long term, Valimaki and Andersson are the answer to who will be on the top pair for the Flames. However who gets the top billing PP time once Giordano moves on? It's honestly anyone's game right now. I don't think it's nearly as clear cut as these answer suggest. Rataylor22 brings up a very good point, they both bring different things. It really depends on how the Flames want to set up their PP.

Do they want a PP QB on the backend, someone who will run and distribute the puck more? Or do they want to the threat of the shot, while they let a guy like Gaudreau run the distribution role on the PP (which might be answered if they move on from Gaudreau)? Those are the questions that will answer this, and unfortunately that's hard to answer right now
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think Valimaki will be used in more offensive situations. Its not necessarily because he is much better then Andersson but i think Andersson will used in more defensive situations and maybe PP2 time. To me this is very similar to Ottawa where i personally believe Brannstrom is a QB of the future and Chabot will play against better competition and not necessarily always in offensive situations.

In points only leagues you want to own Valimaki, in multi cat Andersson maybe a better option. But Valimaki has all the hype atm.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Rataylor and Wookie are bang on with their assessment. I don't have much to add.

FWIW, I will say one thing...I think there's a chance that either Andersson or Valimaki eat in to Giordano's power play time as soon as this upcoming season. I say this because Giordano is now 37 years old and although he is a fitness beast, he's still only human and his age suggests he may need to cut back on his minutes a bit. Even with the addition of Tanev, losing Brodie and Hamonic will be a factor here also. I think there's a chance the team needs Giordano to play even more of a defensive role going into next season and imo there's a chance they use Andersson or Valimaki on the power play to ease the burden on Giordano. Just a hunch on my part...obviously I don't know what will happen.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Rataylor and Wookie are bang on with their assessment. I don't have much to add.

FWIW, I will say one thing...I think there's a chance that either Andersson or Valimaki eat in to Giordano's power play time as soon as this upcoming season. I say this because Giordano is now 37 years old and although he is a fitness beast, he's still only human and his age suggests he may need to cut back on his minutes a bit. Even with the addition of Tanev, losing Brodie and Hamonic will be a factor here also. I think there's a chance the team needs Giordano to play even more of a defensive role going into next season and imo there's a chance they use Andersson or Valimaki on the power play to ease the burden on Giordano. Just a hunch on my part...obviously I don't know what will happen.
    good point, we dont know exactly what the season will look like but with less travel and most likely more back to backs i think young guys will have adventage...its harder to play back to backs for older guys where young guys recover much faster, with less travel, less going out, i think young guys will be more disciplined as well and will recover better where im assuming for most older guys with families it wont change that much...be interesting to see for sure
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think both guys are solid options.

Andersson will likely have more opportunity for this upcoming season to cut into Giordano's PP time, but long term (beyond this upcoming season) I'd go with Valimaki, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he's running the PP unit by the end of the season (Gustafsson started to cut into his PP time last year and in the playoffs).

I think Valimaki is the more offensive of the two, with more upside.
    C: MacKinnon, Eriksson Ek, Schmaltz, Bennett, Vilardi
    W: Forsberg, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Keller, M Tkachuk, Tippett, Vatrano, Tolvanen, Drouin,
    D: Carlson, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Chychrun, Hanifin, Durzi, Ekholm, Martinez
    G: Skinner, Talbot, Kochetkov, Rittich

Minors: Geekie, Mateychuk, Knight, Portillo

Categories:
    Goals & Assists = 1 point each
    SOG, Hits, Blks = 0.1 each
    PPP = 0.5
    +/- = 0.25

Goalie Categories: SV = 0.1, W = 2, SO = 3, L = -2, GA = -0.5

Start 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G
    12 Player Keeper - 15 Teams

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by StillOn24 View Post
    I think both guys are solid options.

Andersson will likely have more opportunity for this upcoming season to cut into Giordano's PP time, but long term (beyond this upcoming season) I'd go with Valimaki, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he's running the PP unit by the end of the season (Gustafsson started to cut into his PP time last year and in the playoffs).

I think Valimaki is the more offensive of the two, with more upside.
    I wouldn't really read much into Gustafsson's time in the playoffs cutting into others.

Andersson has only played two full NHL season's and the Flames seem like they want to take him into the role they envision for him slowly and not wanting to throw him to the wolves right away. Last season they gave him more PP time then his first season, and likely will see that continue.

Gustafsson was more likely the product of not wanting to depend on a second year player for PP time. Hell, they pretty much exclusively used Gustafsson in the playoffs, more than Giordano. I just wouldn't read into it too much.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I wouldn't really read much into Gustafsson's time in the playoffs cutting into others.

Andersson has only played two full NHL season's and the Flames seem like they want to take him into the role they envision for him slowly and not wanting to throw him to the wolves right away. Last season they gave him more PP time then his first season, and likely will see that continue.

Gustafsson was more likely the product of not wanting to depend on a second year player for PP time. Hell, they pretty much exclusively used Gustafsson in the playoffs, more than Giordano. I just wouldn't read into it too much.
    This is a key point that supports what I was saying earlier about Giordano's age, etc., and that the team may be inclined to reduce his ice time a little bit and use someone else on the power play.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Jedi

Have a hard time anointing either when neither has demonstrated they've earned it in the NHL.
    Valimaki can be Paul Coffey in the SHL if he wants to be... doesn't mean he's ready to replace Gio yet.

It's going to be a season of 'Show me' for both of them. Until one proves it over the other & both over Gio.

let's slow down this Valimakian truck a bit and see him get 20 NHL games under his belt can we?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Have a hard time anointing either when neither has demonstrated they've earned it in the NHL.
    Valimaki can be Paul Coffey in the SHL if he wants to be... doesn't mean he's ready to replace Gio yet.

It's going to be a season of 'Show me' for both of them. Until one proves it over the other & both over Gio.

let's slow down this Valimakian truck a bit and see him get 20 NHL games under his belt can we?
    sure, everyone needs to keep things in perspective...however, if you want to grab a player "before" he breaks out, it isn't a bad idea to look at either Andersson or Valimaki. Even if it doesn't happen this year, at 37 years of age Giordano's time is limited. If not this year, then next year or the year after that someone needs to take Giordano's place as the top offensive defenseman on the team, and in keeper leagues like mine, you want to get that player now while you can.

No one is saying that anyone should go out and pay a hefty price to acquire Valimaki, but he could be a nice sleeper pick for this coming season, and is certainly a good player to acquire for teams looking a bit more into future value.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap