Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jack Hughes vs Pick 4

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Jack Hughes vs Pick 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I get it that I’m being disagreed with here, and maybe being shamed for my lack of confidence in Jack Hughes. But the last comment?? Well, first - that 4th pick being discussed is ONE year after Hughes, not two. And in the 2011 draft, sure it’s Adam Larsson at #4, but 6-7-8 are Zibanejad, Scheifele, and Couturier. I’m not saying these guys outshine Seguin - please - I’m saying Hughes gives me concerns that his “generational” tag (already hilarious) may come to look like the offensive equivalent to Aaron Ekblad. Good player, sure. But that may be all. The history of #1 overall picks is not all McDavid/Matthews (one of whom deserves that “generational” adjective).

Fun to read your comments, gives me entertainment while I have my roof and upstairs bathroom repaired (non-hockey lightning strike).
    What's up Doc? Truth be told, my response was not directed at your response whatsoever. Just want to clear that up. I actually hadn't read read down past the first two responses after the OP. It does Appear that I do disagree with you about Hughes but I definitely do NOT disagree with you about the generational" tag. That gets thrown about way to often. Hell, I'm to blame for doing so when I got all excited about Matthews and labelled him "generational" (think Axeman tried to spritz my fire back then... I still think he's pretty damn close) but Hughes... not at all. I think he'll exceed the expectations of Hischier, but we're not talking about a Generational Talent here. I'm just looking at brother Quinn and Jack came to the show with more flare tied to him. Anyway, I digress as we clearly agree and disagree about aspects of Hughes (I don't think you feel he's Yakupov worthy, just not as good as advertised?

The motivation for my post and what worries me most is giving up on the Top pick for a brand new prospect (outside the top 3) is the Seguin experience. While I was and still am a Taylor Hall fan, maybe Seguin owners soured on him out of the gate when in truth, much of his delay had to do with situation on the Bruins team. Once he was thrust into the prominent role he eventually became, he lived up to his billing. Raymond/Rossi... I hope they're excellent prospects. But there's a reason they didn't go #1 or #2. Hughes was not only a 1st overall, but one who came with pedigree and a fantastic Resume. Not to say Raymond/Rossi won't be better, but I'm not sure that Hughes is as bad as what it appears you seem to think he is.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up especially having now read your post Doc.

OH... and thank you for correcting me on the draft statement. Completely whiffed on the 2 years later compare (and again, I had to go check).
    Last edited by havanablast21; November 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM. Reason: accepting correction about draft

Dobber Sports Stud

No one scores on that Jersey team. Hughes had no chance last year, and even 40 points this year would be a success in Jersey...but he's going to be a stud scorer once they improve and he fills out

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There was a ranker with last year's class & this year's... I think a lot of people had Hughes btw Byfield & Stutzle - or there about.
    I prefer Hughes to the #4 pick.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I realize I didn't give my take on the trade. Basically, you are acquiring a depressed value asset, and hoping its value returns to prior levels. Comes down to what each individual thinks of Hughes.

I'd want Hughes here, but it's close - him being in the NHL could go either way. Hischier could end up being a better player than Hughes, and that would be an issue for fantasy players to get over. Or they could become a dynamic pair of centers (and no, I'm not naming names) that are both elite.

Honestly, the Devils should be thrilled if he turns out to be as good a pick as Ekblad was for the Panthers.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Another vote for Hughes and by a large margin.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Remember when Quinn Hughes had zero points in the NHL after his draft year and everyone was calling him "not even close at this point?" What a bust he has been!

This of course is tongue in cheek, to a certain extent. We all know that Jack, like Quinn, has a smaller body and was drafted for skill and hockey smarts. Hughes going #1 is a sign that NHL GMs, after drafting for NHL-ready bodies and points, finally drafted a guy at 1.1 whose NHL body was not yet ripe. J. Hughes gets a little pass because body-wise, he's not ready.
    This comment sums it up for me. Hughes was not physically ready for the NHL, and it may take some time before he gets where he needs to be to dominate. But make no mistake, Jack is a stud. A generational talent? Who knows, but I do believe now is not the time to say he's a failure by any means.
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Initiate

I own all the players involved so I think I’m unbiased on this one . I think it’s closer than some think .
    IMO I said before the season started that Hughes had zero business playing in the NHL last year , only due to physical development . He had a kid’s body . He’ll be good but the guys at 4th will be very close ,I think . Slight lean towards Hughes , I think
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23